Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2012, 04:49 PM #1
Pber_4_Life

Pber_4_Life plays in the PSP
Pber_4_Life is an NCPA player
Pber_4_Life plays in the APPA D4 division
Keep DM9 or Upgrade to DM12?

I was wondering if it is worth the "upgrade" to the DM12. I love my DM9 but I like how the DM12s look. I know the DM12 price will drop after cup with the new markers that are being released. I just like to know your guys opinions.

Thanks

Upgrades to DM9: Critical Trigger & Virtue OLED board.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM #2
grss429
Gun Tech! & Field owner

grss429 plays in the PSP
grss429 posts videos on PbNation
grss429 plays in the APPA D4 division
grss429 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grss429 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pber_4_Life View Post
I was wondering if it is worth the "upgrade" to the DM12. I love my DM9 but I like how the DM12s look. I know the DM12 price will drop after cup with the new markers that are being released. I just like to know your guys opinions.

Thanks

Upgrades to DM9: Critical Trigger & Virtue OLED board.

to me the dm12 shoots smoother then the dm9, but i also like all the tooless features, I believe the dm12 has a little more weight though, best bet is to try a dm12 from a friend then after cup buy one cheap

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY FACEBOOK PAGE! WEBSITE COMING SOON www.facebook.com/bfinpbt

Owner/home field.
Come play at Nature of the game paintball in hampstead North Carolina (910) 270 2163
grss429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:34 PM #3
xXAceStatusXx
Did i win?

xXAceStatusXx is playing at Living Legends V
xXAceStatusXx is playing at Living Legends VI
xXAceStatusXx supports Team VICIOUS
xXAceStatusXx is attending Decay of Nations VI
If this were me, I'd wait till after cup, a dm13 might be coming out. Or if you can find a good price on a dm12 ($700) get it, I have a dm12 and I personally love it. I've only shot a few shots with a dm9 so I really can't say much about it. Hope I helped.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM #4
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
I'd keep the DM9. I personally am less than impressed by the NT grips. In fact, I'd say they're the worst thing Dye has ever done. The trigger for me is neutral, as I think both the original UL trigger and the new NT style one is absolutely terrible.

And functionally, they're still basically the same marker with nothing IMO desirable changed (I also think the DM12 is uglier than the DM9 though).

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM #5
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
At the DM12's current price on the nation, i feel its not enough of an "upgrade" to justify the current price tag. Wait longer until the dm13 comes out... when you can pick up a dm12 for the price of 500-550, then it'd be worth the change.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:02 PM #6
Blusylver

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
I personally am less than impressed by the NT grips. In fact, I'd say they're the worst thing Dye has ever done. The trigger for me is neutral, as I think both the original UL trigger and the new NT style one is absolutely terrible.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM #7
weezyfbby
Balls to Unload

weezyfbby has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
weezyfbby has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I would personally keep the DM9, I don't believe performance change is worth it, since there is very few. Although you get some little upgrades that can be worth it: New trigger style (love these), ASA is awesome (nothing sticking out the sides), tool less grips are pretty nice and the feel of the frame is really nice too. If your thinking of changing for performance, don't do it. If you would like the little extras, get a DM11. Same upgrades as the DM12 but cheaper..
weezyfbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 AM #8
weezyfbby
Balls to Unload

weezyfbby has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
weezyfbby has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Oh and the Dm11 body / frame colors are a lot nicer than the DM12..IMO. I don't like what they did to the DM12..
weezyfbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:15 AM #9
DarkRipper
Elite

Annual Supporting Member
DarkRipper is a founding member
DarkRipper is BST Legit
DarkRipper donated to help Peyton Trent
DarkRipper owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DarkRipper is Boss
The tool-less bolt on the DM12 really is pretty darned cool, but comparing a stock DM12 to a DM11 with NT reg grip and 45 degree fitting...

That's a hard choice.

Comparing a DM12 to a DM9... how much do you play? Are you casual? Are you a serious tournament player?

Whether you upgrade would depend on how much value you would get out of a newer marker, I guess.

old school PBC admin... keeping it real

Please read and rate my reviews! =) ---> Here!

Buy my sweet red Eflex before the kittens kill again :(
DarkRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM #10
Pber_4_Life

Pber_4_Life plays in the PSP
Pber_4_Life is an NCPA player
Pber_4_Life plays in the APPA D4 division
Thanks for everyone's input. I play about twice a month when there are no tournaments near and about every weekend the month before an event. I'll probably pick a the dm12 after cup.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:29 PM #11
Arctic Canadian

Definitely its a matter of whether all of those smaller features add up and make it worth the investment. Interestingly enough and random coincidence I was in the same boat. I had recently picked up a DM9 for a really good price and was very impressed by both its handling and profile. It fit my needs at the time and I thought that hey if nothing else is going on then I will use this gun until it dies on me. Well I changed a few things on the DM9 that I had as since I bought used from a user on pbnation at the price that I did that it was necessary to exchange a few parts to get it to perform properly and so I went about this task. Changed out the bad Proto Regulator (bad meaning it was needing to be rebuilt) to a Hyper3 Regulator w/ 45 degree fitting that I had on another DM of mine, switched out the stock Dye on/off ASA for a Dye UL on/off ASA. Just after making these changes the gun was rocking! I also changed out the stock trigger for a Violent Series Trauma Edition trigger which incredibly good in my opinion.

So again making just these changes the gun was rocking and most people when they glanced at it could not tell it was a 9 and thought it was newer (was not my intention to camouflage it to make it look like a newer DM but it worked I suppose.) So anyways I enjoyed this gun and for the price of everything I had put into it so far I considered it all to be worth it. So after a time I heard that the 12 had features that made it worth looking into in my opinion so after checking out what the 12 had to offer and how much I enjoyed my 9 I thought well if I find one for a really good price then its worth it but if I cannot find one for a good price then no worries I will stick with my 9.

So looking on here and checking out pbgear.com from time to time I noticed the prices had dropped $100 dollars in preparation for World Cup which is quickly coming closer. I came across ten or so DM12 that intrigued me enough with their prices that I would message the owner and find whether it was worth it to pursue further. $900 was way too much, $800 was uncomfortable, $750-$650 seemed to be the sweet spot that felt right to me. So more research into these to find what exact color scheme I liked the most and to make sure the gun came with everything that it would stock. Having problems, or no barrels threw those ads out the window as for not working properly and no barrel the owners were only taking $25 dollars off and for a Dye UL barrel that was disgusting. So I kept at it and found one that was priced appropriately, came with all of the necessary tidbits, was a color I liked, and found the price to be $700. So I messaged the owner, kept at it and bought it and now currently I am waiting patiently as it comes in the mail.

My point in the long run is either look now and find what you want precisely or just wait and keep shooting opponents with your DM9. Either way you cannot go wrong and since I found the DM12 I want, I am selling my DM9 as I won't want to shoot the 9 when I have my 12. Either way Good luck!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 AM #12
speedy2k4
BSH University

speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller View Post
I'd keep the DM9. I personally am less than impressed by the NT grips. In fact, I'd say they're the worst thing Dye has ever done. The trigger for me is neutral, as I think both the original UL trigger and the new NT style one is absolutely terrible.
I happen to love the new style UL grip and think it's by far the most comfortable frame in paintball.

But I do agree on keeping the DM9 and that the stock UL triggers are trash. Or at least are hit or miss, seems like the tolerances on the trigger pins, bearings and even the pin threading in the frame has been terrible. You would think some time between 2005 and 2012 they would have put better bearing/pin setup in to fix the side play and binding.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM #13
cockergod18

cockergod18 plays in the APPA D4 division
I had a dm10 and I absolutely loved it and I got a awesome deal on a brand new dm12 for 750 so I sold my 10 to a teammate and telll you what my 10 shoots so much better and I hate my 12... For now... I know it needs to be broken in and I know it will shoot just as good one day but going from a well used 10 with 100 or so cases verses a new 12 the difrence is night and day. So just be prepared that it won't shoot as good as your 9
Old 09-28-2012, 04:59 AM #14
BallerT
Planet Eclipse FTW!!

BallerT is a Supporting Member
BallerT owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BallerT owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pber_4_Life View Post
Thanks for everyone's input. I play about twice a month when there are no tournaments near and about every weekend the month before an event. I'll probably pick a the dm12 after cup.

First I'd suggest playing a game with one if you can find some one at the field with a DM12. I played a game or two with it and it was surprisingly heavier than I expected, heavier than the dm10 and 9...weird..Not sure why dye went with a heavier marker..? It shot well though, with very little kick and quiet.

Jack Wood:
"And I think that if you think something is bull****, you have every right to say you think it is. Just because bull**** is the norm doesn't mean it stinks any less."

My Old Feedback

My New Feedback
BallerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM #15
98Pro
Asylum 502

98Pro plays in the PSP
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
98Pro owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
98Pro plays in the APPA D3 division
Find an well used one that some dude put 80-100 cases through and it has wear and you'll love it. Will be as smooth as anything
"Alright you guys are my ginger crew, you gotta act hard af" - Todd Martinez
Play SEPS!
98Pro is offline   Reply With Quote