Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 AM #1
MaLfUnCtIoN3

good trainer plane?

I'm looking to get a nitro plane. i was looking at the tower hobbies 40 mk2 trainers. basically i just want to know if its a good starter plane. i prefer nitro to electric simply cause of the run times but if electric trainers are the way to go than obviously thats what i will look into as i'm in no hurry to see 300 dollars plummet to earth.

EDIT:this is the one
FEEDBACK

Last edited by MaLfUnCtIoN3 : 05-24-2009 at 10:41 AM.
MaLfUnCtIoN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:35 PM #2
05 ProStock
ΦΔΘ

I urge you to go electric. They are much easier to begin on and troubleshooting is far less complicated.

For a beginner with your price range I would either buy a Hobbyzone Super Cub RTF (if you want to begin with wheels) or a hobby lobby Easy Star RTF.

Both packages are under $300 and have everything you need to start flying.

Have fun
Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 AM #3
chase4556
Please Excuse my spelling

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 ProStock View Post
I urge you to go electric. They are much easier to begin on and troubleshooting is far less complicated.

For a beginner with your price range I would either buy a Hobbyzone Super Cub RTF (if you want to begin with wheels) or a hobby lobby Easy Star RTF.

Have fun
What he said.

10-2-2006: Live Water Hole in Africa
chase4556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 AM #4
maxman1180

cool thnx
maxman1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 PM #5
SwarmJT
Gone Fishing

SwarmJT plays in the APPA D5 division
SwarmJT has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SwarmJT has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
SwarmJT has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
SwarmJT has perfected Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 ProStock View Post

Have fun
I personally own the Super cub.. it is indestructible.. lol.. check out my youtube videos of it in action!
http://www.youtube.com/user/swarmjt
This makes chics want you..

Kolder-"Didn't realize we had so many surgeons in ST"
UTC Hockey
SwarmJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM #6
holson72

holson72 posts videos on PbNation
holson72 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I wouldn't do nitro for a first flyer. Honestly, in anything under a 60 size I still think electric is the way to go. I had two nitro planes that I converted to electric and don't regret the switch - I hated the smell, cost of fuel, etc, etc. I can get to a flying field and be in the air in under 5 minutes...that's something very few nitros can claim (at least on a regular basis). Run times can be solved by more batteries (if the plane is big enough to hold them). My Kadet Sr flew with a 4s 10000mah battery. Full power flight times were in excess of 45 minutes, and when flying slower and catching thermals at least one flight exceeded 2 hours.

For trainers, typically any "high wing" design with a brushless motor will be acceptable. Foamy traines are easier to repair that stick builds; but they are usually pretty light so they "dance" a little in the air and can't fly in as high of winds.

Always keep the airplane upwind of you, that way if you lose power or the wind becomes too strong you can still get it back to you.

If you're interested in assembling the plane, I'd look at one of the Sig Kadet variants. You can get them in ARF form...but there will still be some assembly and electronics required to get them flying. If you want RTF or PNP then airplanes like the Cub already suggested will be good (I prefer the HobbyZone/ParkZone). Warbird type airplanes, while great looking are not good trainers.