Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 PM #1
Dye4life5000

2k11 solenoid prob?

Gas up my gun try to shoot nd it shoots lil puffs of air. The solenoid doesnt wanna click. Tried everything dwell battery nd bolt. Do i need a new solenoid?
Dye4life5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2012, 08:36 PM #2
Syphorus

If you are hearing puffs then your solenoid is probably ok. Reset your settings to stock and relube the bolt system.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 PM #3
Dye4life5000

Sometimes no puffs will com out nd i did tht but ill try. Anyway to reset without goin thru every setting?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 PM #4
Syphorus

Other than the settings on the board, have you done anything to your marker? The fact that you can even get some puffs means that the bolt is partially cycling.
The issue is very likely due to bolt stick, dwell or HPR pressure.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 PM #5
Dye4life5000

Well i installed a techt it worked fine. Then i got a macroline and a PE pops asa. It worked fine. But today it started doing this
Old 09-23-2012, 11:00 PM #6
Syphorus

Try cleaning the bolt thoroghly with soap and water then re lube. It's very likely bolt stick. Be a bit more generous with the lube.
How much paint have you put through the marker since installing the techt?
Old 09-23-2012, 11:14 PM #7
Dye4life5000

About a case and a half.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:22 PM #8
Syphorus

Trying bringing all the settings back to stock and see if it will cycle.
Try using the old stock bolt.

If the bolt cycles with the stock bolt, you will likely need to install a qev to relieve internal pressure.

I've noticed that installing a qev makes the techt bolt function better in Rails.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:52 AM #9
Dye4life5000

I thought the techt bolt lowers the internal pressure already?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:51 PM #10
masterofTHUMBS
boom headshot

masterofTHUMBS posts videos on PbNation
masterofTHUMBS is an NCPA player
masterofTHUMBS supports Pev's Paintball
masterofTHUMBS plays in the APPA D5 division
The techt bolt reduces pressure by decreasing the volume by using a tophat (the grey looking ring near the back). Since PV=nRT, the pressure is indirectly related to volume so less volume = more pressure and vice versa.

A QEV (quick exhaust valve) is a type of pneumatic fitting that will allow air to escape quicker than going through air hoses. Imagine blowing air through a straw with your mouth. Rather than having to blow the air through such a tiny passage way, switch to breathing out to your nose. The air will come out faster through your nose than it would a thin straw. This is basically how a QEV works. It relieves the internal pressure quicker than letting the air travel through a hose then out to the atmosphere. The older PMRs would dump the air straight out to the atmosphere while the newer ones use a hose system similar to an Ion's hose system.

I really don't know if a QEV would solve your issue. I would try first cleaning off the old bolt entirely (remember to unscrew the can and take the actual bolt out). Clean off every surface you can see with q-tips and cotton rags. Try not to leave any pieces of cotton off the q-tips. Now lube the stock bolt according to your manual using a dow 33 based lube such as dye slick, PE sl33k, or a generic brand. Dow 33 will be a smooth lube that will not swell orings. Find some videos. Manual says to coat all surfaces with lube. Use tiny amounts, it goes a long way. Now assemble everything back together.

Don't change any board settings yet!

We need to test things one at a time to find the issue. Put everything back together and try to shoot. Make sure you have enough air. Check your reg, (if you have the hyper3) put the screw somewhere in between all the way out and all the way in, I don't remember the rule of thumb for how it should be set. Try to shoot.

Still puffing?

Reset board by setting everything back to the stock values. Try shooting again. Check the connections on the board. Battery making good contact? Solenoid harness in all the way?

If you can get the gun working again, try cleaning and relubing the techt bolt. Put it back in and see how the gun works. If you just had it working with the stock bolt and now with the techt is doesn't, the bolt may be busted somehow. Check the orings on it. Look for any that look worn or slightly shredded. Ideally you should replace all of the orings just incase but looking for any busted or loose orings may be helpful first. Also, do that for the stock bolt too before you install it, just incase.

Anything beyond this is probably an electrical issue, either the board not supplying enough current or the solenoid sticking or busted. I'm not too sure if the solenoid can be service. You may want to call Dye to see if they can fix it. If the gun is still under warranty, it may be free. It may be free even if not under warranty. They built the thing, ask them.
masterofTHUMBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 PM #11
Dye4life5000

I just lubed my bolt with techt gun sav and put the dwell up to 45 it shoots perfect. I just don't like my dwell that high. Gonna run outta air way to quick
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM #12
Syphorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofTHUMBS View Post
The techt bolt reduces pressure by decreasing the volume by using a tophat (the grey looking ring near the back). Since PV=nRT, the pressure is indirectly related to volume so less volume = more pressure and vice versa.

A QEV (quick exhaust valve) is a type of pneumatic fitting that will allow air to escape quicker than going through air hoses. Imagine blowing air through a straw with your mouth. Rather than having to blow the air through such a tiny passage way, switch to breathing out to your nose. The air will come out faster through your nose than it would a thin straw. This is basically how a QEV works. It relieves the internal pressure quicker than letting the air travel through a hose then out to the atmosphere. The older PMRs would dump the air straight out to the atmosphere while the newer ones use a hose system similar to an Ion's hose system.

I really don't know if a QEV would solve your issue. I would try first cleaning off the old bolt entirely (remember to unscrew the can and take the actual bolt out). Clean off every surface you can see with q-tips and cotton rags. Try not to leave any pieces of cotton off the q-tips. Now lube the stock bolt according to your manual using a dow 33 based lube such as dye slick, PE sl33k, or a generic brand. Dow 33 will be a smooth lube that will not swell orings. Find some videos. Manual says to coat all surfaces with lube. Use tiny amounts, it goes a long way. Now assemble everything back together.

Don't change any board settings yet!

We need to test things one at a time to find the issue. Put everything back together and try to shoot. Make sure you have enough air. Check your reg, (if you have the hyper3) put the screw somewhere in between all the way out and all the way in, I don't remember the rule of thumb for how it should be set. Try to shoot.

Still puffing?

Reset board by setting everything back to the stock values. Try shooting again. Check the connections on the board. Battery making good contact? Solenoid harness in all the way?

If you can get the gun working again, try cleaning and relubing the techt bolt. Put it back in and see how the gun works. If you just had it working with the stock bolt and now with the techt is doesn't, the bolt may be busted somehow. Check the orings on it. Look for any that look worn or slightly shredded. Ideally you should replace all of the orings just incase but looking for any busted or loose orings may be helpful first. Also, do that for the stock bolt too before you install it, just incase.

Anything beyond this is probably an electrical issue, either the board not supplying enough current or the solenoid sticking or busted. I'm not too sure if the solenoid can be service. You may want to call Dye to see if they can fix it. If the gun is still under warranty, it may be free. It may be free even if not under warranty. They built the thing, ask them.
Great post!

I will say that the QEV should solve the problem now that you've established functionality at 45 dwell (which seems high but not too strange.) The TectT bolt does not actually reduce the dwell on the Rail. It only reduces internal pressure required to operate.