PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-15-2012, 01:44 PM #1
PcktAcesDasBoot
fml

A Question about the Luxe 1.0

Iver been playing paintball for around 12 years now, ive seen markers come and go, trends come and go and after working in a paintball retail setting I think I have a pretty good handle on the value of used markers and the depreciation of them as well

My question is what makes people think that the Luxe is still so valuable? Colors? It talks to you? what? I have never really played with one for an extended period of time but i don't remember it being any more or less smooth shooting than a DM or an Ego. I also don't remember it being particularly air efficient(something I'm sure the addressed with the 2.0) So my question is how does a marker released in 2008 with a price tag of $1600 still command $-800-$1000 on the BST forums when the same year DM's and Ego which retailed for $1200 are going for $300-400? Why have the egos lost almost $800-$900 in value while it seems the luxe's have only lost only $600 in value?

I know a lot of the 1.0's out there have 2.0 stuff but you can buy a brand new 2.0 core for less than $100 on several sites on the internet.

Im really not trying to be a troll or to come across as ignorant or anything I would just really like to know. I mean they look cool and you can get some unique colors but what makes them hold there value like that when everything else comparable seems to be losing money by the day.

thanks guys
PcktAcesDasBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 PM #2
ErrorCode6263
[insert cool phrase here]

ErrorCode6263 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ErrorCode6263 plays in the APPA D4 division
ErrorCode6263 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ErrorCode6263 supports DLX Technology
The law of supply and demand. Since the luxe is definitively one of the best markers out on the market many people want them. Since they were so expensive and they are such a great marker there are not as many luxes on the market as say a DM, EGO, or GEO. That means us luxe owners were able to charge what we wanted and essentially get it!

Also 1.0s sell for as low as 600(stock) and as much as 7-8(upgraded) but never 900-1000 unless it is extremely rare or has a really coveted anodizing job. (i.e half-life luxe, bloodsplatter, peyton, etc.)

Also yes the luxe IS WAY smoother than a DM or EGO

YourPBFriend: Best new store around!
ErrorCode6263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 AM #3
cozmo5050
<3 brittle paint

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
cozmo5050 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
cozmo5050 supports DLX Technology
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcktAcesDasBoot View Post
Iver been playing paintball for around 12 years now, ive seen markers come and go, trends come and go and after working in a paintball retail setting I think I have a pretty good handle on the value of used markers and the depreciation of them as well

My question is what makes people think that the Luxe is still so valuable? Colors? It talks to you? what? I have never really played with one for an extended period of time but i don't remember it being any more or less smooth shooting than a DM or an Ego. I also don't remember it being particularly air efficient(something I'm sure the addressed with the 2.0) So my question is how does a marker released in 2008 with a price tag of $1600 still command $-800-$1000 on the BST forums when the same year DM's and Ego which retailed for $1200 are going for $300-400? Why have the egos lost almost $800-$900 in value while it seems the luxe's have only lost only $600 in value?

I know a lot of the 1.0's out there have 2.0 stuff but you can buy a brand new 2.0 core for less than $100 on several sites on the internet.

Im really not trying to be a troll or to come across as ignorant or anything I would just really like to know. I mean they look cool and you can get some unique colors but what makes them hold there value like that when everything else comparable seems to be losing money by the day.

thanks guys
The luxe platform is a long-standing, proven design.
Rather than make drastic changes, the refinements are evolutionary and all internal parts are swappable between the 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0.
Tool-less bolt removal, excellent clamping feedneck, sculpted grips, fully-adjustable stock trigger, best barrel system on the market, i could go on, and on..

1) The whole 'Luxes suck with efficiency' argument is exaggerated.
Most guys don't even carry more than 4 pods on their backs.
For the back/home player in airball who carries more than 4, broken-in luxes are capable of outputting 8 pods and a hopper on one 68/4500 fill.
8 pods still not enough? Use an 88/4500 or 90/4500.
Geo1's, 2's, 2.1's dont have amazing efficiency either, but it's always the luxe getting bad-mouthed for it.

2) Look at Dye/PE: Every year, they come out with a new model... same poop different smell. As soon as a new one comes out, the old one goes to half-price on the street market.
Still have macrolines, still not as smooth, still not as quiet.
Dye still only offers LED boards... for a flagship model post-2010?

3) People say luxes aren't reliable....I say ask Houston Heat how they are doing.
For someone coming from double-stack, open-bolt poppet, luxes will seem complicated. Complicated is not the same as unreliable.
Any owner willing to spend 15minutes reading the owners manual and checking youtube videos / luxe stickies will have a perfectly reliable high-end marker.

4) Finally, there's some mystique with owning a luxe.
Most people who own other high-ends secretly still want a luxe.
The problem/bad experience first occurred when the saw some 14 y/o 'rich kid' at the field with bolt-stick/leak issues and that killed it. (Read part 3).

Find someone with a nice luxe.
Shoot it side-by-side with any other marker, and youll cry a little on the inside.

PBN feedback

"business in the front, party in the back" --- Joe Dirt (2001)

Last edited by cozmo5050 : 09-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.
cozmo5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 AM #4
pa_the_man
NG Allstars

pa_the_man supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo5050 View Post
Rather than make drastic changes, the refinements are evolutionary and all internal parts are swappable between the 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0.
Tool-less bolt removal, excellent clamping feedneck, sculpted grips, fully-adjustable stock trigger, best barrel system on the market, i could go on.

1) The whole 'luxes suck with efficiency' argument is exaggerated.
Most guys dont carry more than 4 pods on their back anyway. For the back/home player in airball that carries more, broken-in luxes are capable of outputting 8 pods and a hopper on one 68/4500 fill. Still not enough? use an 88/4500 or 90/4500.
Geo1/2/2.1's dont have amazing efficiency either, but it's always the luxe getting flak for it.

2) Look at Dye/PE: Every year, they come out with a new model, same poop different smell. As soon as a new one comes out, the old one goes to half price on the street market. Still have a macroline, still not as smooth, still not as quiet. Dye still only offers LED boards... for a flagship model post-2010?

3) People say luxes arent reliable....pffffff. Just ask Houston Heat how they are doing.
For someone coming from double-stack, open-bolt poppets, luxes can be complicated. Well, complicated is not the same as unreliable.
Any owner willing to spend 15minutes reading the owners manual and check out a few youtube videos or luxe stickies will have a perfectly reliable marker.

4) Finally, there's a bit of mystique with owning a luxe.
Most people who opt for, or own other high-ends secretly still want a luxe.
The problem/bad experience first occurred when the saw some 14 y/o 'rich kid' at the field with bolt-stick/leak issues and that killed it. (Read part 3).

Shoot it side-by-side with any other marker, and youll cry a little on the inside.
+1 on this..... great written.

Swedish team NG Allstars is proud to be suported from Wizeguy.se and Regency
We only use the best Crome2 and DXS.

<<LUXEMOB>>
pa_the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:55 PM #5
ErrorCode6263

Quote:
Tool-less bolt removal, excellent clamping feedneck, sculpted grips, fully-adjustable stock trigger, best barrel system on the market, i could go on.

1) The whole 'luxes suck with efficiency' argument is exaggerated.
Most guys dont carry more than 4 pods on their back anyway. For the back/home player in airball that carries more, broken-in luxes are capable of outputting 8 pods and a hopper on one 68/4500 fill. Still not enough? use an 88/4500 or 90/4500.
Geo1/2/2.1's dont have amazing efficiency either, but it's always the luxe getting flak for it.

2) Look at Dye/PE: Every year, they come out with a new model, same poop different smell. As soon as a new one comes out, the old one goes to half price on the street market. Still have a macroline, still not as smooth, still not as quiet. Dye still only offers LED boards... for a flagship model post-2010?

3) People say luxes arent reliable....pffffff. Just ask Houston Heat how they are doing.
For someone coming from double-stack, open-bolt poppets, luxes can be complicated. Well, complicated is not the same as unreliable.
Any owner willing to spend 15minutes reading the owners manual and check out a few youtube videos or luxe stickies will have a perfectly reliable marker.

4) Finally, there's a bit of mystique with owning a luxe.
Most people who opt for, or own other high-ends secretly still want a luxe.

+1! Very well said

Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM #6
RdS

RdS is a Supporting Member
RdS supports DLX Technology
Quote:
best thing ive heard in a long time ahaha!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:47 AM #7
phillysteve
Theft Patrol

Annual Supporting Member
phillysteve is Legendary
phillysteve is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Tool-less bolt removal, excellent clamping feedneck, sculpted grips, fully-adjustable stock trigger, best barrel system on the market, i could go on, and on..

For the back/home player in airball who carries more than 4, broken-in luxes are capable of outputting 8 pods and a hopper on one 68/4500 fill.
Geo1's, 2's, 2.1's dont have amazing efficiency either, but it's always the luxe getting bad-mouthed for it.

2) Look at Dye/PE: Every year, they come out with a new model... same poop different smell. As soon as a new one comes out, the old one goes to half-price on the street market.

3) People say luxes aren't reliable....I say ask Houston Heat how they are doing.
For someone coming from double-stack, open-bolt poppet, luxes will seem complicated. Complicated is not the same as unreliable.
Any owner willing to spend 15minutes reading the owners manual and checking youtube videos / luxe stickies will have a perfectly reliable high-end marker.

Couldn't agree more, especially about the EGO & DM.
GLOCK 19
phillysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:33 PM #8
shockerboy001
Yasser Hanbali

shockerboy001 plays in the PSP
shockerboy001 is an NCPA player
shockerboy001 plays in the APPA D3 division
shockerboy001 supports DLX Technology
Quote:

i agree i cant tell you how many younger kids bad mouth the luxe because it leaks or something, when i take it apart it has broken orings or no lube and the best one to date was a kid gave me his luxe to tech, the frame to body oring was leaking when i took it apart he handed me a box of plumbers orings and was pissed when i handed him his gun back and said get the right oring. his excuse was hey it fits so it should seal
Eric LeBlanc fan #1
PAINTBALL XCAPE
XFT #70
shockerboy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 AM #9
ErrorCode6263

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockerboy001 View Post
i agree i cant tell you how many younger kids bad mouth the luxe because it leaks or something, when i take it apart it has broken orings or no lube and the best one to date was a kid gave me his luxe to tech, the frame to body oring was leaking when i took it apart he handed me a box of plumbers orings and was pissed when i handed him his gun back and said get the right oring. his excuse was hey it fits so it should seal
I tech protos, Eteks/EGOs and some luxes for my team (unofficially lol) and I love when I am working on a marker and some one says "Yeah I had that marker and it sucked, leaked everywhere, shot like **** etc.". People don't take time to learn about their markers so once something goes worng they assume the marker sucks.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 AM #10
sawblade6

Annual Supporting Member
sawblade6 plays in the APPA D4 division
sawblade6 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrorCode6263 View Post
I tech protos, Eteks/EGOs and some luxes for my team (unofficially lol) and I love when I am working on a marker and some one says "Yeah I had that marker and it sucked, leaked everywhere, shot like **** etc.". People don't take time to learn about their markers so once something goes worng they assume the marker sucks.
thats all it is brothers.... knowing and maintaining your gat! I too tech the teams harem of Luxes and not one has gone down.. minus the pooty polished one. haha but we got that up and run`n ASAP
Shooting DLX, Spire, Grillz, Ninja
Pump Changed My Life...
sawblade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:56 PM #11
eatafetus
knows you love it.

Annual Supporting Member
eatafetus supports our troops
eatafetus plays in the APPA D5 division
eatafetus is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
eatafetus is Legendary
eatafetus supports Empire
I'm trying to save $ for certain real-life things, but if I could I'd take my old luxe back in a heartbeat. Best gun ever. Period.

Plus, the shocker was around for how long, and IIRC had more orings than the luxe...no one ever said it was hard to tech. It's tough to say that my gun is better than yours when you paid 1250 and it will be worth 600 next year. The human brain is hard wired against it.
eatafetus is online now   Reply With Quote