Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 AM #1
TeacherCreature

pumps on the field

Has any field owner experimented with restricting players to pump?

Pump only facility or pump only day of the week? It aligns itself with reiners low volume paint preferences really nicely.

Im wondering if it is has been tried and if so was successful and if not why.
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 AM #2
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherCreature View Post
Has any field owner experimented with restricting players to pump?

Pump only facility or pump only day of the week? It aligns itself with reiners low volume paint preferences really nicely.

Im wondering if it is has been tried and if so was successful and if not why.
We have the odd pump only day. Unless you know there are a lot of pump players in the area, turnout will not be great, in my opinion. Up to about 10 years ago, one of the local fields used to offer both (semi and pump) as an option for groups. They ended up phasing out the pumps because they had very little demand for them. At the time, paintballs at that field were $10/100, so low volumes were shot by virtually everyone, yet most people still wanted semi-auto. Semis are just easier to use for people not used to playing paintball.

Having said all that, I think there is something to the new 50 cal pump markers for younger players. Players are using so few of the balls, that paintballs can be included in the price which makes it awesome from a Birthday party host's point of view (no unexpected extras for paintball purchases).
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:57 AM #3
sal briguglio

sal briguglio is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends III
sal briguglio is playing at Living Legends V
As Reiner said, if there are not a lot of pump players in your area, you probably won't get much of a showing. As an example, pump players in the Chicago area have been trying very hard lately to promote pump only days with little success.

We have a unique situation in St. Louis because my team, Total Greif, have been pump players for many years and the local mindset is pump players are the cool guys.

We don't have pump only days because there is always a large number of pump players for our open play (10 or so on slow days, 30 or more when busy).

The rental guns that come with our regular rental package are semi-auto but we have pump guns for rent at an additional charge of $10.00. We rent these out every day.

Our primary reason for promoting pump players in our open play is that, generally speaking, pump players are more honest, laid back players who regularly help to make our open play a better experience for our open play customers. They are very helpful to new players (adults and kids alike).

If you can grow the pump community in your area, I would certainly recommend it.
Proud member of the Master Blasters Traveling Road Show
Proud Supporter of DAN COLBY.
sal briguglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 AM #4
TeacherCreature

I was thinking more along the lines of most players are new so a pump only place wouldnt be conspicuous to them.. This would allow for a $20 for full hopper paint price.
Incorporated into one package $50 entry pump rental air plus one full hopper

I dont know either way I bought 2 pumps for rent so we can at least have machismo 1 vs 1 pump offs haha
TeacherCreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM #5
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

has been a member for 10 years
The thinking is good but in practice, new players have a more difficult time with pumps than semis.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:31 AM #6
noclue119
D4 to D5 in 3 years.

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 supports Empire
Most new players will choose the fastest firing gun available.

However, if you picked up 1 maybe 2 CCMs and rented that thing out for $30 a day, I think you will see some seasoned players rent it.

As for pump only days, good luck with that. I try to organized pump days and I think the biggest we ever had was 30 people.
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM #7
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
We've phased out most of our pump only games. I think we probably had about 50 at the peak (West Coast Pump Weekend gets more, but that draws from a much larger area). In general people want to play paintball whern they want to play paintball, not when you want them to. Like Sal, we get pump players playing every day and they don't mind playing mixed in with the semi players. I can't remember a day when we didn't have at least one or two pump players and most of the time we have considerably more. It seems that about half the players with their own gear that come to our field have at least one pump. Also like Sal mentioned, around here many of the new players think that the pump players are the cool and experienced ones and we get a lot of young people buying pumps instead of semis.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote