Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-12-2012, 01:59 AM #1
Tempted (Banned)

Farm pets.

I was raised on a farm in Fort Payne, Alabama in the 80s. Being old country folk means we never paid for pets, just took a liking to certain animals on the farm. This is TomTom(he was named way before the GPS), one of my first and dearest pets. Not exactly a conventional childhood pet but certainly one of the coolest. He played just like a dog with us kids. Chased us around on bicycles, begged for treats, had a huge appetite for human interaction. He walk up and rub against your leg like a cat until you would pet him. He was almost always in strut, very rare to see him with his feathers down. We never knew if he was just showing off or never learned to put them down. Being country means we did hunt, never for a trophy, for food but we all felt guilty shooting a turkey knowing we'd have to bring it back to the house and clean it in front of old Tom Turkey. He was never caged, didn't need to be since he never left our property, so he was always strutting up to us when we hauled in a kill. It wasn't until after he died that we did actual turkey hunting. Kind of funny.

Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:44 PM #2
comom

I was raised on a farm, too. TomTom sounds like a couple of goats we had. Just about all our animals came when you called their names, even the pigs. Which came in handy a couple of times. Like the day I came home from a football game to see them all in my grandparents' front yard. Turns out when they got loose, my black Lab was keeping them on our property. But, my grandmother thought he was chasing them, so she called him over to her house across the road, and the pigs followed him. Only one didn't come back when I called them, but as soon as my little sister called out her name, the pig came running.
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 PM #3
Tempted (Banned)

Ha. Most of our animals were food animals so we didn't name them. One rooster, Henry, had a name. I hated that thing, chased us around screaming at us every time we got near him. We also had to distract him when we were picking eggs, he thought we were going to hurt the hens. Grandpa thought it was hilarious and he has old movies of us getting chased and him laughing. Two of our beagles, Jake and Jill, had names, but the rest were hunting dogs. After all the Beagles were gone we got one more as a pet and named him Trouble because he was always in Grandma's flower beds. There was a giant pot belly pig with a name but I can't remember what it was. We had geese, one was named but it wasn't a pet. If you ever get bit by a goose you'll hate them forever.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 AM #4
comom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
Ha. Most of our animals were food animals so we didn't name them...
Oh, the pigs went into the freezer. The original plan was to keep two for breeding. Not knowing which ones that would be when they were 10 weeks old, we named and treated all of them as pets. It made getting them in the trailer to slaughter them easier tho (you've heard of barn building parties, well where I grew up, a bunch of people got together at slaughtering time). My husband loves telling stories about how, when we wrapped the meat, my mother would draw pictures of a pig on the freezer paper, and write one of the pigs' names.

Quote:
...One rooster, Henry, had a name. I hated that thing, chased us around screaming at us every time we got near him...
We had a rooster like that, too. It wasn't long before he ended up in the freezer. The other roosters were sweet. We used to put the Bantum on one of the horses' backs and lead him around.

[quote=Tempted;76727511]...We had geese, one was named but it wasn't a pet.
One pair of ours was named. Hansel & Gretel were really cool. They were a Japanese breed that were marked like Canadian Geese. They used to come up on the porch and "knock" at the kitchen window if my mother hadn't given them their daily slices of bread by dinner time. I don't remember if we even named the other pair of geese we had. They looked like giant Peking ducks. An infuriating thing was, one winter a neighbors Husky mix walked up the snow bank to get into the duck/geese pen, and killed the male goose from one pair and the female from the other, as well as a bunch of ducks.

Quote:
...If you ever get bit by a goose you'll hate them forever.
Naa- just made us more careful around them. LOL Someone one on our mail route had one who used to go after us if we had to go to the door with a package.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:41 PM #5
Tempted (Banned)

Sounds like you and I were raised alike. The best days of my life were spent on that property, I'd give anything to have it back. When Grandpa got too old to tend he sold it. We were living in Georgia at the time or we would taken it, prior to that the land was in our family since the mid 1800s. My Grandma, Great Grandma and Great Great Grandma were all born and raised there. I owe my entire way of life to the place.

5 generations, from my Great Great Grandma to me.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 PM #6
comom

Quote:
5 generations, from my Great Great Grandma to me.
That's a picture to treasure forever!

I'll admit, I loved the way I grew up. It wasn't a working farm, so to say- it was more of a horse farm with the ducks, geese, chickens, goats and pigs added for the eggs, milk and to keep the freezer filled. I can honestly say I don't miss the horses, tho. The goats, pigs and poultry, yes, but not the horses.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:28 AM #7
Tempted (Banned)

Man I hate goats. I was digging some fishing worms in their pin one time and while I was bent over one took hold of my hair and wouldn't let go. Despised them ever since. I don't miss the geese at all. I miss the chickens. I don't miss picking eggs but I sure miss eating them. I never took a big liking to horses and mules but its because they were more workers than pets. I hated picking hooves and filling bug bites all the time. Also hated trying to get the mules back into their stalls. Most of the time I just left them out with the stall doors open. The thing I hated most about the equine was breaking them. Just miserable for us and the horse.

But by a mile the most overwhelmingly annoying animals were the stupid guineas. Those things never shut up. We had whippoorwills and screech owls but they didn't even annoy me as much as the guineas. But the guineas helped us a lot, they destroyed the tick population so we kept them. We'd rather listen to them than pick ticks all day. If only there would have been a way to get rid of chiggers......
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 AM #8
comom

Quote:
...But by a mile the most overwhelmingly annoying animals were the stupid guineas...
I'm with you there. We didn't have guinea fowl when I was growing up, but my folks did get some a few years back. Annoying as all get out. I've run into some really nasty ones over the years, too. So nasty they could give geese a run for their money.

Quote:
...But the guineas helped us a lot, they destroyed the tick population so we kept them. We'd rather listen to them than pick ticks all day. If only there would have been a way to get rid of chiggers......
Funny thing is, chickens eat ticks, too, but a lot of people don't realize that. I never saw a tick in my entire life until I moved to NJ as an adult.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM #9
Tempted (Banned)

Our chickens were pinned. Too many coyotes to leave them out. The guineas nest in low tree branches so they stayed high enough at night.