PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-07-2012, 12:48 AM #169
da_mink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Acacia
Picked up a ceramic heater, temp now sits at ~92 under the lamp, ~83 under the ceramic, then 75 in the cool/water portion of the cage, turned down my fogger some too as the extra heat has helped the overall humidity stay steady at 80% with less fog.
You wanna get me a pic of the lighting/heat scheme.

Also what size tank?

VLN
da_mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 AM #170
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Eternal Acacia is a Supporting Member
Well he didn't eat at all yesterday and now he's demolishing crickets like it's his business, so I'd assume he's happy with the temperature increase. Lighting, though, is a concern, seeing that I only have one day light, but my room gets fairly bright during the day time. Here is the basic set up.

Heat lamp right side, ceramic lamp center forward, and the daytime light to the left. The fogger leads down through the plants in the middle so that area gets quite humid with the ceramic there now. 40 gal tank too, fyi.

Mother****er is smart, I put 2 live plants in there along with the fake ones and he loves those *****es, hides in them all day. I made a nice hide for him with some philodendron over his water bowl and he sits under there all the time now.
and the future don't exist

"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"

Last edited by Eternal Acacia : 09-07-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Eternal Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:17 PM #171
da_mink

What wattage is the heat lamp?
Only thing I can say to do is ditch the light light and replace it with a t5 UV5 bulb setup. Home depot has cheap 36" ones that you could run across the back.

Other then adding a bit more Cyprus mulch to the bottom 2" is what I always had in the basilisk tank in my moms old classroom. And letting the plants grow a bit more so he has more cover on the right side. I have to say it looks good

VLN

Last edited by da_mink : 09-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM #172
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I miss having a variety of "lizards" growing up. I couldnt do it now though that slight odor that comes from the cages would be to much for me.

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 PM #173
da_mink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm3000
I miss having a variety of "lizards" growing up. I couldnt do it now though that slight odor that comes from the cages would be to much for me.
Sterile cages are smell less
But really, most geckos have no smell when kept properly.

Crickets on the other hand you might wanna keep in a different room.

VLN
Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 PM #174
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Yeah, I only keep 50 or so crickets at a time but they ****in stink when they die. Twice a week I clean out the dead to keep the smell down. I keep them out of my room now.

If anything my room feels more damp and the smell of the ganj I smoke lingers longer because of the increased humidity, but it's not bad or unbearable at all. The slight bad odor in my room wass fixed when I took the crickets out of it.

"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 PM #175
da_mink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Acacia
Yeah, I only keep 50 or so crickets at a time but they ****in stink when they die. Twice a week I clean out the dead to keep the smell down. I keep them out of my room now.

If anything my room feels more damp and the smell of the ganj I smoke lingers longer because of the increased humidity, but it's not bad or unbearable at all. The slight bad odor in my room wass fixed when I took the crickets out of it.
Ya, I keep mine in the bathroom at my building and run a squirrel fan in and out 24/7

That happens, it weighs down.

VLN
Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM #176
ChristopherThe Great

My water dragon. He is a ****ing beast, got a 75G tank in the mail on its way here for him, can't wait until the tank gets here and I can set it up right.
ChristopherThe Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 AM #177
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

I was gonna order a 75 gal but I'm just gonna start fabricating his next enclosure now so that 8-10 months down the line when he's too big for the 40, it'll be ready and badass. I'm thinking 48''x18''x24'', all of the foliage will be real not plastic, multi level waterfall into a lagoon (gonna work the fogger into the lagoon so it bubbles and fogs), some rock climbing walls/hides, and a big network of climbing branches up higher in the tank.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:51 AM #178
pbmink (Banned)

pbmink is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Go higher And deeper

48x24x36-48

The depth will get cut into real quick when you build your background and the height is a nice bonus and in my opinion a necessary one.
pbmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 AM #179
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Yeah that's a good point, I wasn't really taking into consideration the size of all the **** I'm gonna be making for it. Height will definitely be a bonus seeing as this guy is always chilling on the plants near the top of the tank or up on the branches.

Re-doing my substrate/draining system tomorrow when I add a bunch of new plants, hopefully this will take care of my moisture issues.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 AM #180
ChristopherThe Great

It would be nice to make one so it would be exactly what you wanted. I'm gonna set up the 75 when it gets here and if that doesn't work out in the long run then I might look into building one.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 AM #181
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Mink, I replaced all of substrate today with the hydroballs/cypress on top, and he won't stop eating the cypress mulch. I've seen him do it at least 4 times, they were all the size of the smallest crickets you can get at a store, but I read that it's really not good for them at all. I'm a little worried, but I'd love to hear from someone with more experience.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:08 AM #182
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

did you get shavings or chips?
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:00 PM #183
ChristopherThe Great

Anyone have experience with the monsoon mist system? I'm thinking of getting it, but they are fairly expensive so I don't want to waste my money if it sucks.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 PM #184
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

http://www.petco.com/product/6347/Zo...FelaMgodLloAYg

That's what I used.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 PM #185
pbmink (Banned)

Check nurseries/big hydro stores around your area EA, they should have organic Cyprus mulch without the super wavy zoomed tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherThe Great
Anyone have experience with the monsoon mist system? I'm thinking of getting it, but they are fairly expensive so I don't want to waste my money if it sucks.
If you're going to spend the money go mist king.
The owner really cares about sourcing top quality parts and having wonderfully functioning products.

In my opinion it's well worth the cost. I have 16 mist king systems running I want to say. All flawless.

The problems I've heard with monsoons is the timer going out. Not just from one person but many. When I look at it combined with the limited amount of pressure they use and the lack of a fine mist/fog almost the 100 is better spent on other systems.

Which brings me to another point, exo-terra and zoomed make GARBAGE. Excluding exo-terra tanks as they're really made by Hagen it's parent company, but even then you can find better euro style tank manufactures for cheaper.

Last edited by pbmink : 09-13-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 PM #186
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Yeah, found some much better cypress mulch at the nursery down the street, didn't want to completely redo the substrate again so I removed as much of the zoomed as I could by hand and replaced it with the new stuff, much better.

Also reading that keeping air circulation going is key to preventing mold in high humidity tanks, so I'm gonna go get a low power computer fan than I can place on different corners of the screen to keep air moving properly.

Last edited by Eternal Acacia : 09-14-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 PM #187
pbmink (Banned)

Buy a 12v and use three.

Outs in the back corner. Put an in along TE front glass to prevent it fogging up.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 PM #188
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Sounds like a plan, stan. He really won't stop running into the glass all the time so I'm gonna have to go pick up some bark climbing walls to put on the side for him so he stops hurting his nose. It's only a minor discoloration now, but I've read it can get severe quickly if left untreated, so I'd rather not have that happen.

Also, how much should I attempt to hold the him? Literature says that basilisks are more skittish than water dragons and take longer to tame. I've held him maybe twice, outside of when I grab him to clean the tank out, and while I don't expect him to come when his name is called by any means, I don't want him to be skittish all of his life.

Last edited by Eternal Acacia : 09-14-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:38 PM #189
pbmink (Banned)

Cork bark?
If so just build a bloody background already. You'll both like it and they're easy

And wait a month then start holding him a few times a week for 5/10 minutes. Make sure to grab him right behind the jaws from the top it'll save you a lot of pain and trouble and eventually be an accepted activity for him.

It'll never be a species to really hold, I'd suggest just training it to be picked up without a huge fuss and trained to take bugs from your hand. Outside it's cage will make it get super flighty and stressed.