Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-12-2012, 03:46 PM #1
Kwakattak

Advice please?

So I am getting back into paintball after a 7 year break. I used to have an Orracle Autococker. I loved how quiet and accurate the gun was but I sold the thing for too cheap a couple years back. Now I'm looking to get a new marker and having trouble deciding which with very little friends to talk to that play anymore.
To start I'm looking in the 500-700 dollar range of tourney markers. With my little knowledge, it looks like I need to decide between the Dye Reflex, Macdev Drone DX, Planet Eclipse Etek 4 LT and the Empire Axe. I also looked at a little higher end used markers on ebay for a similar price.

In your opinion, is there a decidely "best" gun amongst these markers?
Please give your opinion so I can make a more informed decision.

Thanks!
Kwakattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2012, 03:54 PM #2
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Well if you have no preference to spool v poppet then I would go drone DX, axe, etek, then reflex. I am assuming that you are looking to buy new based on your selections. You will probably get a bit more bang for your buck going used but the new mid-level market is so good that it is hard to justify not purchasing something with a warranty. So the drone dx is an unbalanced spool, like the geo3. It does not have the fancy perks like oled board and all but its shot is very very good. It is a bit louder than other MacDev guns but is still able to directly compete with other high end guns. The axe is an inline poppet and is just a great little shooter. Its simple, efficient, and all the things to look for but the drone just barely beats it out in all those categories (IMO). The etek is a poppet, it and the axe are close for me and often comes down to feel. I prefer the feel of the etek but others love the axe. The etek will be the most efficient of all those you listed but will also be the loudest and have the most kick. The reflex is last for me, just not a fan all around. It is a good gun at the price point but it does get beat out by all the others you listed in nearly every category but if eye pipes are your thing, have at it. The Drone and the Etek have the best regulators by far so keep that in mind as well. Hope this helps a little.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:05 PM #3
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
How far do you plan to take paintball? if you're just playing rec ball once a week then just save your money and get an etek 3 used on the forums and call it a day.. spend the money you saved on paint or maybe a cure 3+ bolt or something along those lines
Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM #4
Kwakattak

I want to have a marker that makes me excited to go out and play.
Another question, does accuracy vary from marker to marker or is it just the barrel that dictates accuracy?
Kwakattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM #5
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
the quality of paintballs used makes the most difference in accuracy... after that fine tuning it with a correct barrel size will make it that much more accurate.