Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 AM #1
isengr85

Why use an on/off asa?

I have been out of the game for a while and have picked back up an old project I had started years ago. During part selection, I have come accross this question. Do I need an on/off asa vs a straight asa? What is the benefit vs carrying the extra weight and expense?
isengr85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 PM #2
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
An on/off ASA is nice in that you can turn off your air supply, and then get rid of the air between the ASA and firing system, before removing the air tank. With a non-on/off ASA, you unscrew your tank, sometimes under pressure, causing additional wear on the ASA and possible the tank threads, until it gets far enough backed out to both disengage the pin, and vent out the air being held between the ASA and the firing system. As to extra weight, it is negligible, maybe a gram or two? As to expense, personally, I think it is worth it, if nothing more than not having to unscrew a tank with it's pressure being released into the ASA every time that I take it off. Or having to deal with the extra pressure when trying to get the tank screwed in all of the way.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 AM #3
GurKin

Absolutelly agree with Open_Truth.
Just another 2 cents: there is tank regs with built-in on-off (like in my sig) - you can use just asa with them, not on|off asa.

gl!
safe valve
g6r ram bumper mod
cheapest Alias Balldetents ever
web time machine
GurKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM #4
Open_Truth (Banned)

Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Open_Truth owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The only tank regs that I have seen that have a built in on/off won't use an ASA anyway. They tend to be rail mounted, and you don't use any form of an ASA, as they have a macro line fitting on them for attaching macro to the reg.
Open_Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:52 PM #5
Japy
Paragon 2014

Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
The nice thing about some of them is that they vent a little better then a straight ASA does. Meaning you don't have to shoot down the gun as you unscrew the tank.

The reason you should be shooting the gun down as you unscrew the tank on a gun with a regular ASA is because often times they don't vent properly and you end up blowing orings out all the time.

With properly venting on/off asa's I haven't had to replace my tank oring in like 3 seasons. With a regular ASA I had to replace the tank oring all the time if I didn't shoot the gun down.

Usually I think that ON/OFF ASA's tend to be lighter weight then the cheap ****ty regular ASA's that you commonly find. Plus they are straight and flat. Often times they mount directly to the frame, or on a rail that you can adjust if you need to, to get the proper ergonomics.

I suppose some of the newer regular ASA's have the same features.. But for example my Dye airport ON/OFF vs dye airport regular ASA- the ON/OFF is lighter weight because the screw in knob is actually lighter weight metal then the heavier lug found in the regular ASA.

Hope that helps!

Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 AM #6
justme-

justme- has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you use a remote you can use a slide check in it which will seal the line from the tank and purge the marker.
justme- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM #7
cfl mike
Ron Paul = God

cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
cfl mike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cfl mike supports Team VICIOUS
cfl mike is for the Gunfight
cfl mike has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Extra weight from an On/Off ASA? Dont make me laugh. Most of the ASAs that dont have On/Off tend to be lower end, meaning they arent made as well (generally speaking). I bet most of the higher end On/Offs are lighter than most non-On/Off ASAs. Not to mention higher end stuff usually comes with other benefits; for example the Bob Long Gear Drive, you dont need a rail to mount it, even if your gun doesnt have one.

Why do people do this wanna-be hk thing? I mean hk people dont even play paintball, they just whine and start drama while wearing the ugliest stuff. Seriously you find light blue and pink to be attractive colors for your parents 1500 dollar investment (your gun/marker)? If you want to whine keep it off the field and save it for the internet; O wait! THATS EXACTLY WHAT YOU DO! Haha, if you don't play then don't whine.

I want your G6r parts and upgrades, sell them to me, because you wont get anything for them if you sell/trade them with the gun.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3808906
cfl mike is offline   Reply With Quote