Community Focus

Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM #1
Gigalisk
Balls out

Gigalisk supports Team VICIOUS
Gigalisk has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gigalisk has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
How to ship Paintball Markers to APO/FPO (Overseas Military Base) Addresses

A primary concern by paintballers here on PBNation and on other private paintball forums is dealings done between members that sit in the good ol' US of A and our Servicemembers who are stationed overseas and have a place to play the sport there. Every now and then, a transaction will occur where a servicemember will buy new/used parts/markers/equipment from a third party reseller, and need to know how to ship or how much it is to ship.

Since i'm one of those service members, let me let you know how to do it to make things easier for Buyers/Sellers/Traders on PBN.

BEFORE YOU SHIP

Packaging:
Most manufacturers and retailers will ship smaller items like bolts and such in a dual ply, cardboard envelope and ship priority. This will not do for the private guy. Ship in a box. Even if you have small items, use the appropriate amount of packing peanuts for the size of the box. Shoot, use an appropriate box too. Use DUCT TAPE, or Plastic Packing tape.

Addressing:
Please do not use the servicemembers rank or service when placing the address. This is a big no-no for Operational Security purposes, and depending on the location and their current security posture, may not be accepted, resulting in being sent back or (worst case scenario) destroyed.

Disassembly:
For tanks, make sure the tank is unscrewed from the marker. Depressurize the tank, citing that the gauge reads ZERO, and then unscrew the regulator from the tank itself. This is for customs agents who think its a bomb.
For markers, anything that is screwed in by hand needs to be unscrewed, such as drop forwards, ASAs, On-off valves, and barrels. Anything held in securely by screws is ok.
For batteries, most, if not ALL lithium batteries have been recently prohibited for sending. If you ship like an iPod or something, it will be sent back or destroyed. Luckily, markers batteries are detachable, so do not ship them, PERIOD. Take them out during disassembly.
Fieldstripping your marker before packing is as simple as that...its not required to remove internal components, but the more caution you take, the better; keep this in mind.

SHIPPING
Pricing Options:

You always have a choice when you ship to APO/FPO. Some retailers will not, because they lose money on shipping. Just remember, Fedex is going to be the fastest to overseas, while USPS will be the cheapest, but you sacrifice tracking, and speed. Whatever the case is, before you send, get the servicemembers address and do a weight/price estimate to "weigh" your options. That way you know how much to bring to ask for when you're selling your marker.

Tracking:

Once you have sent it off, keep in contact with the servicememeber, saying that you sent it, noting the time and date, and by which method and carrier. Also fork up any tracking numbers/receipts/etc.

Customs:

There is a good reason to disassemble EVERYTHING. USPS regulations prohibit the sending of Firearms and Airguns, to include BB guns and Paintball Markers.
Seeing as it will be disassembled and unloaded, it does not have the ability to fire a round. Thus, they can be labeled "Sporting Goods" or "Machined Parts" as a blanket term for the valued.

Insurance:

THIS IS TOUCHY, because it then puts a greater pricetage on the item being sent, which is non-refundable to either party. It's nothing to a boss, but if you're not bringing in that kind of loot dont bother. Do make it an option to the servicemember though, as i'm sure if they really want the item, they will pay the extra coin to ensure safe passage.

Servicemembers, please review your local installations mailing guidelines if you are going to purchase paintball goods from a private seller/third party, and relay these to said third party, as it will make it easier for everybody to get the package to where it needs to go. Also, review retailers APO/FPO polices for guidance, and your preferred carrier of choices APO/FPO shipping policies.

I hope this helps the Buyers/Sellers/Traders out a bunch, especially to our men and women serving in the United States Military overseas. Thanks PBN and all Admins, Staff, Members, and Players for supporting us.

"Gigalisk"
SSgt, USAF

Current: (Primary) Empire AXE - TechT MRT Gold Bolt/TechT LowPress. spring kit/TechT iFIT 9pc insert kit

Loaded by DYE ROTOR and VIRTUE SPIRE 260
Gigalisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM #2
Pat.Lee39
OEF 2012

Wow If i knew i could get my Paintball gun over seas I would have done this months ago lol
Pat.Lee39 is offline   Reply With Quote