Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-29-2012, 01:13 PM #1
bkaup5

Realistic cost of joining a team (as a newer player)?

So after deciding to really get back in to the sport after a hiatus, (of casual play a few years ago) I read up on some of the newer equipment and to see if the culture, if you will, of paintball had changed.

I went out and bought an Empire Axe, a ninja 45/45, and some other things that I deemed were necessary at the time. I again, started reading up and remembered my interest back in high school days to join a team of people with near the same mindset as me and it got me questioning is it worth joining a team for (since 90% of the people that I am friends with don't really have the motivation to go as much as I do).

What can a new(er) player expect to be paying when first joining a team? I know it depends on some of the goals and the setups/tournaments that the team/player decide on but I am looking for a ballpark estimate. We all know that without sponsorships (and sometimes even with) that paintball is still pretty expensive, so I am looking to you all to get an idea of how much I should expect to realistically pay per month to ideally grow and get better at a sport I love.

As always, thanks for the answers and look forward to talking to (most of) you .
bkaup5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2012, 01:25 PM #2
private_silver
Fire and Forget.

private_silver is an NCPA player
private_silver plays in the APPA D5 division
Welp, as a newer team player myself, I can express what I have to pay.

First, seeing as you have pretty much by the sounds of it all your own gear, the most gear wise you should need to buy would be a team jersey. I myself have to pay between 55-70$ for ours, as our design is already set but one is a little bit more than the other. However, if the team if getting new Jerseys, there may be a design fee that will be factored into pricing, potentially jumping it to well over 100$.

Practice paint, 30-50 a case depending.
If you're lucky, you might get slight paint discounts at events, but still figure paint price then as well.

Then gotta factor in cost in gas/transportation to get to practice/events.
Crossfire 68/45 w/ Stealth

Last edited by private_silver : 08-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.
private_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM #3
Tin-Man

Annual Supporting Member
Tin-Man is BST Trusted
Tin-Man plays in the PSP
Tin-Man is playing at Living Legends VI
Tin-Man supports Team VICIOUS
Tin-Man plays in the APPA D4 division
Tin-Man has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Tin-Man supports Empire
About 1 year playing on a team, and I'm super green, but here's what I can tell you:

Don't worry about having matching gear. Getting an axe was a good choice as you can save some serious money while still having a great marker. You can get matching jerseys made up for about $100/each from Animal Customs. Ours came out looking stellar.

Practice is what you make of it. We generally practice on Semi specifically because paint runs 40-70 a case in our area. Go talk to your local field and see if they will work out a deal for practice time. Our field is great that as long as we buy the paint from him we get free use of the field.

Events are where you will spend money. Start by playing local tournaments, as you can spend about $250 a person and be set. Registration fees vary as well as paint costs, but travel can really kick your ***.

We did a regional tournament about 500 miles away; budgeted $500/person ($80 entry/person, split 2 rental vehicles for $40/person, gas $40/person, rooms $50/person/night, 2 cases of 4 star GI paint - $150, meals & drinks and incidentals for the rest) but ended up spending about $700/person when we ended up at the bar both nights.

Paintball isn't cheap at all.
Tin-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:37 PM #4
Iowa's#1Stunna
TRAMPLE THE WEAK

Iowa's#1Stunna supports Cereal Killerz 2
Iowa's#1Stunna owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Iowa's#1Stunna supports Team VICIOUS
Iowa's#1Stunna has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
In my experience each player is responsible for their on playing equipment (gun,tank, mask ect)
The whole team splits up costs for tournament entry, paint, gas, lodging
The above listed costs can run anywhere from $150 total per event per person for more local events, or beyond $500 per person depending on the series

Practices are usually an individual cost thing unless your team has a specific contract with a field where your dues are paid and you get free entry/paint

Best advice is to look for tournament series in your area and check out what they charge for team entry what the paint requirements are BYOP/FPO then
start looking at local teams and see whats up

Official Geo Owner's thread!!

old feedback http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1282792
Iowa's#1Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM #5
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
I've been playing tournament paintball just this year. I play in the MAPL here in Chesapeake City, Maryland. I practice every Sunday with my team. Tournament paintball is not cheap-you need a job and transportation, and a group of dedicated guys with the same desire in mind. For me, I spend about $40 every Sunday for practice (team discount included) and maybe $5 for food at Mcdonald's afterwards, plus the cost of gas, (my home field is less than 10 miles away from me thankfully, it is also home of the MAPL) so about $50 some dollars every weekend. Tournaments are more expensive. I play D4/D5 5-man format. Entry is usually $30-$50, depending on how many players are on the roster, and paint $50-$60 for a case. My team paint pulls though-meaning we all just put our paint together, and pitch in when we have to buy more. You save a lot of money that way for tournaments. My advice is look for local leagues in your area, and find out from league officials or players what the costs are like.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 AM #6
bkaup5

Thanks for the input so far guys, it's great help.

As for the equipment, I have all my own stuff except a jersey right now. Having a full time job helps to pay for the things I will eventually need such as paint/gas/food/what have you.

I think the hardest part now is finding a team willing to teach a new(er) player and help me grow (even though I learn quickly and am in good shape already).

How many cases of paint do you normally go through with practice and what drills do you tend to favor? I already have a few things I need to work on like snap shooting and knowing when to bump to a new place.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 AM #7
private_silver
Fire and Forget.

private_silver is an NCPA player
private_silver plays in the APPA D5 division
Welp I can say it honestly depends on where you plan on playing, and how aggressive you are. If you're a back player (like me) you're more than likely gonna use a bit more paint. I believe i used about a case and a half the last time we went, and that was only due to us getting hit by what felt like a hurricane at the beginning of a match.

(speaking of which, 13v13 on a 5 man MAO layout is a bastard on its own, not counting rain so hard you can only see faint shapes down field -__-)

Figure if we HADN'T gotten raped by that storm, I would figure I would have easily used 2-2 1/2 cases.

Then at the same time, our front players had just opened their second case when I was halfway through my second.
Crossfire 68/45 w/ Stealth
private_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM #8
bkaup5

My preferred position would be a front/mid player since i'm pretty quick on my feet and like to move around (when I can) although I would like to learn to play every position so I could help the team (if I ever get picked up by one.. lol) in whatever they need me at. Also, I think learning to play every position would have other benefits like learning which angles to use, how communication differs from front and back, and if I do play mid and someone gets shot out in front or back, I would be comfortable and able to make the switch on the fly.

I already posted in the free agent section, but short of going out to a field every time I can and making a name for myself, any tips you guys would like to throw in on how to improve and be more confident in trying out or being picked up by a local team?

As always, thanks for the replies.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:47 PM #9
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
I play front snake, occasionally back snake and d-side. As a snake player, I usually go through at most 2 pods and half a hopper in a normal 5 minute game, most of the time less, i like to pick my shots, and not get caught shooting too much and get picked off (I play in a PSP affiliate league, and the snake bunker was downsized this year, and as a 6 feet tall player, it makes it that more difficult to play) so most of the time i may not even go through a case. A back player on our team can easily go through a case and a half to 2 cases in a practice. Depending on what area you live in, check out fields that host local leagues, try and hop on with a team, or come up with a group of guys, and talk to the players to find out about tournament paintball. My best advice for you when trying out is to do something to make them notice you that will make you stick out from the other people trying out. Don't be afraid to make a big move. We had a kid tryout this past weekend for us, and he liked to play snake, so he asked me for advice, and he took it. He got 4 people out that game, and played impressive the entire day, and made the team. So be aggressive, learn how to play the bunkers, study the layout, and you'll be fine
Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 PM #10
bkaup5

Thanks DPS

That's the type of advice i'm looking for. I don't know of too many fields closer to me than about an hour away which sucks but it's what I'm willing to do to get in to the sport as much as I'd like to.

I don't think I will have the 6 foot problem seeing as I'm only 5'10 (which is also why I would like to play front/mid) but I can definitely relate on picking shots instead of spending half of the time with my head out of a bunker. I tend to also pick up on seeing lines of paint coming in and usually knowing what general area someone is shooting from. I do realize I have to work on when to peak out though seeing as I don't get shot in anything other than my mask now that I've learned to keep my foot tucked in.

What kind of things can someone expect when trying out for a team? When I get paid next week I will be picking up a few cases of paint to practice snap shooting and off the break shooting but it would be nice to have a heads up so I can practice for other things (although I'm sure every team has different tryout routines).
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM #11
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Look into the local tournaments in your area. You can call the fields and they can tell you the entry costs along with paint. Plan on buying 1-3 cases of paint each event. Also, practice, practice practice.

I spend approx $500/month on paintball... More if you take into account travel expenses.

If you can shoot left and right handed, run and gun, play aggressive and communicate with your team you will have no problem getting onto a team.

Last edited by JC001 : 08-30-2012 at 05:39 PM.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM #12
Iowa's#1Stunna
TRAMPLE THE WEAK

Iowa's#1Stunna supports Cereal Killerz 2
Iowa's#1Stunna owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Iowa's#1Stunna has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
1v2, 1v1, snap shooting drills, running drills (run to the snake/dorito) practice slide, closing drills (best when used with a team) cone drills (set up cones in respected bunkers and run/shoot)

Official Geo Owner's thread!!

old feedback http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1282792
Iowa's#1Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:24 AM #13
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
A subtle but important factor for joining a team too is willingness to learn and listen.

For my team, if our coach or one of us tells a prospective member to fix something (i.e. keeping a gun up, making too slow of moves, both knees down, etc) and we keep seeing them do it, it's a huge point against them.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM #14
bkaup5

^That's definitely something I am willing to do. As long as a team can teach me, they will never have to worry about me putting in the effort to learn and practice. I was thinking about next year (after a little saving and few college courses) signing up for a year pass to one of the local fields (about 25 miles away) and jumping in head first since I think it's the only way to really progress quickly, even at the risk of being shot out every game .
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM #15
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Yea key things to practice for trying out are learning to switch hands-it will be hard at first, but it is a must if you are going to play on a team. Communication is key to winning- getting a g count going, telling your teammates where other people are at, etc. If you are going to play snake, you definitely need to learn to snapshoot, and how to slide/dive off the break properly. Definitely have to learn to stay low, and keep your body tucked in at all times at the snack so you don't get shot on the wire.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 AM #16
MidnightMaster

MidnightMaster owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MidnightMaster supports Team VICIOUS
MidnightMaster is attending Decay of Nations VI
Sorry, I want to ask some thing. Will it be better to join a team or to try and start a new team?

Last edited by MidnightMaster : 08-31-2012 at 08:19 AM.
MidnightMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:20 AM #17
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightMaster View Post
Sorry, I want to ask some thing. Will it be better to join a team or to try and start a nuwe team?
Join for sure. I'm on my 4th or 5th team now. And only 2 were every slightly successful, and that's because they were already established. Starting one is like herding cats. If not everyone is on the same page, it's hard to get it going.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"

Last edited by o5pr3y : 08-31-2012 at 08:38 AM.
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 AM #18
MidnightMaster

MidnightMaster owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MidnightMaster is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5pr3y View Post
Join for sure. I've on my 4th or 5th team now. And only 2 were every slightly successful, and that's because they were already established. Starting one is like herding cats. If not everyone is on the same page, it's hard to get it going.
Thank you
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 AM #19
bkaup5

Seems like the field I wanted to join (Boston/Maynard paintball) is pretty well reviewed and is host to a lot of tournaments.

I will have to definitely visit them this weekend to see how crowded is normally is and what type of players go although it seems their paint is a little on the expensive side .
Old 09-02-2012, 08:10 AM #20
bermbuster

bermbuster owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bermbuster supports DLX Technology
Sometimes is the simple and obvious things that get you in trouble. Practice keeping your gun up. Practice loading your hopper.......practice it kneeling, crouching and standing while firing.......
Another good thing is video your practice.......you can think you are doing it right but a video tells a different story.....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM #21
bkaup5

^ That's a really interesting point. Problem is I don't know if I have a friend good enough to video tape a whole practice .

I can see how that would let me view myself from a different angle (no pun intended) and check to see if im playing as tight up to the bunker as possible and if i'm slacking on my form.