PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 PM #1
redz64

has been a member for 10 years
Maxx55 questions

I bought some of these and am now realizing they are meant to shoot. 55 Cal. Can this thing shoot. 50 or will it chop?. And can I mod it to shoot. 50? Or should I just get rid of these if my field doesn't carry. 55.
redz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2012, 12:57 AM #2
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
I don't think they'll chop (well, maybe bobble the ball stack pretty hard, hard to say), but shooting .50 out of a .55 cal barrel is like shooting .68 out of a .73 cal barrel. Getting full field velocity will be really, really difficult.

The Maxx55 was the first attempt at making a new player friendly version of paintball. They didn't hype is as the "next big thing", or claim it was going to "take over the sport", so they were more honest, but it makes you wonder if that honestly was the reason for their downfall. Something to ponder.

Anyway, converting to the smaller caliber may be more hassle than it's worth. They did make a .50 cal Freak barrel who's inserts might be used to step down the barrel (anyone know the wall thickness of the assorted freak inserts off hand?), so that's something to work on. You may be better off selling them as a collectible oddity.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM #3
redz64

Took em out, the real problem actually is the ball is too small for the ball detent to keep the ball in place. Otherwise it's just fine, no real accuracy though. The ball detent used is a modified PMI detent, almost like the ones used in piranhas, just a thicker back. I need one that's maybe a little longer. Any idea on a larger one?
redz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM #4
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
It seems like to get that to work would be way more hassle then buying a .50 cal or .68 cal marker
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:31 AM #5
joolsh20

Maxx55 marker

Can I ask if you tried putting .50 cal through the maxx55. I am after a number of .50 markers for some kids games I have coming up. I don't really want to order them if if they cant shoot .50 cal.
I have been told that they will shoot it, but you need to push the ball detent in further. My worry is that you want get a high enough velocity to shoot a .50 cal ball due to the barrel size.
Any advice you will great!
joolsh20 is offline   Reply With Quote