Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-28-2012, 01:20 AM #1
itzyourboyraj

are ions really that bad?

I'm just curious, are ions really as bad as people say they are? I have an original ion and an xe, havent yet played with them, but just curious to see what im in for.

BTW ima new player, been out a few times to play but thinking about getting serious into it
itzyourboyraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2012, 01:58 AM #2
Tempted (Banned)

Meh they aren't that bad. Just the people who use them are. Mostly little kids who call themselves pros because they have an Ion and some Valken pants. When an Ion is working properly it is a great weekender. A lot of times they don't work properly because the "pro" thought they needed to disassemble and clean it.
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 AM #3
theblindchicken
49'er

theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
Most problems that arise when playing with an ion is all user error. I've got an epiphany and half an ion.. the only issues that ever come up is either a dead battery or something that got messed up the last time I cleaned it. Main reason why so much goes wrong, is because so many parts have to be removed to complete a thorough cleaning.
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:40 AM #4
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Bad as in what?
It's not bad as in "never works" but stock it can leave much to be desired. Things like consistency, efficiency and even bolt stick or FSDO could be problems you may face. That's why most people upgrade the internals as soon as they acquire one. But as far as being a working marker.....yeah it will work so long as you take care of it.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 AM #5
bhotz
Challenge Accepted.

bhotz is playing at Living Legends VI
bhotz supports Pev's Paintball
bhotz has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bhotz has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It's a nice marker, as previously stated it needs cleaning and maintenance can be tough. You are better of getting a newer marker that is basically the ion, the GoG Extcy as I believe it's easier to clean though. GoG bought out smart parts if you didn't already know.
Eflex
bhotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:16 AM #6
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhotz View Post
It's a nice marker, as previously stated it needs cleaning and maintenance can be tough. You are better of getting a newer marker that is basically the ion, the GoG Extcy as I believe it's easier to clean though. GoG bought out smart parts if you didn't already know.
GoG didn't buy out Smart Parts. Smart parts went bankrupt. Other companies purchased certain patents previously owned by SP.
GoG is a new company created by the former owners of Smart Parts

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Last edited by Soul06 : 08-28-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM #7
dude1it
Christopher R.

dude1it helped look for balloons
dude1it supports Team VICIOUS
dude1it is an NCPA player
dude1it is a top reviewer
dude1it is Legendary
dude1it is Boss
dude1it is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
GoG didn't buy out Smart Parts. Smart parts went bankrupt. Other companies purchased certain patents previously owned by SP.
GoG is a new company created by the former owners of Smart Parts
Precisely.

As far as the ION, it's a great platform. However, as stated before, stock leaves much to be desired. I think I kept mine for over 2 years playing d3 events back in the day. I had well over $600 in upgrades (Bolt/can/eyes/barrel w/kit/board/grips/trigger/feedneck/body/screw kits/asa), and it shot like a dream. It's not hard to actually figure the gun out and clean it/set it up (dwell played a lot in mine with the new bolt/can combo).

If you consider the ion, you'll really want at least a new board, barrel, asa, feedneck, trigger, and bolt. Those are the essentials, I'd say. You can pick one up for under $150 with all of these upgrades and more on pbnation. People bashed ions because stock, they really didn't compete very well. Also, EVERYONE had one, then tried to offload them as fast as possible. It actually got annoying. And the "pro" logic, many kids used to think they were pro because they had a marker that could compete...you'll see the same logic around the fields today. The "hate" many had for SP also played into the bashing of the ion platform.

Pittsburgh All American Heroes 2012
dude1it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 PM #8
ashep01

ashep01 supports Team VICIOUS
ashep01 is for the Gunfight
ashep01 plays in the APPA D4 division
ashep01 supports DLX Technology
I had an ion and the only thing that i didnt like about it was maintenance. was such a pain if you didnt have the bolt out the back feature.
ashep01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM #9
trouble5om

I have an Ion as a backup/loaner and never had a problem with it. The only downside is how you have to pretty much take the whole thing apart to lube the bolt.
trouble5om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM #10
kamdog211

I had the first gen ION a while back and it was an OK marker for the money. The only thing I didn't like about it was the build quality. If you plan on taking it apart many times, the parts started to wear out quickly. Screws threads would get easily crossed. Of course it could have been all my fault.

For the money, IONs gave you a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 AM #11
trouble5om

One word of advice, be cautious when buying upgrades. Next thing you know, you dropped enough money into the ION to have bought a higher end marker.
trouble5om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 AM #12
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

ions are great little guns, i had one a few years ago. a lot of the issue was at the time they were the best thing you could get for less than $500 because the only other "entry level" markers were spyders and tippmans, so it attracted a much younger crowd because of the price. mostly teens that didnt bother to read the manual and learn how to take it apart and clean it/ perform maintenance, or how to troubleshoot it and at the slightest problem they started messing with the settings without having a clue what they were doing.

otherwise they're great, they arent hard to take apart, just a bit time consuming. people always bashed the plastic body, in reality its a nice feature because you can beat the hell out of it out in the woods or speedball field and wont see any scratches.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 PM #13
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
yes
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 AM #14
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
cptnemo66 is playing at Living Legends VII
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 is attending Decay of Nations VI
cptnemo66 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble5om View Post
One word of advice, be cautious when buying upgrades. Next thing you know, you dropped enough money into the ION to have bought a higher end marker.
I agree! Thats why the ION isnt all that good of a gun. By the time you upgrade it to a "good" gun you have spent as much or more than a better gun.
cptnemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:23 PM #15
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnemo66 View Post
I agree! Thats why the ION isnt all that good of a gun. By the time you upgrade it to a "good" gun you have spent as much or more than a better gun.
you can find them with upgraded boards, clamping feednecks, triggers, and on/off asa's for about $125. thats pretty hard to beat.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:59 PM #16
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

no. especially considering how cheap you can get them used now. they're one of the best values. always was, despite having to upgrade them, nothing could touch them for the price point.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM #17
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
you can find them with upgraded boards, clamping feednecks, triggers, and on/off asa's for about $125. thats pretty hard to beat.
If you hunt and have patience you could get an up'ed Shocker SFT in the $125-150 range. Doesnt make the ION look so good now. I know I would rather have the sft.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM #18
Tempted (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
You can get them cheaper than that. $80 for a nicely upped Ion is about average.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM #19
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
Racso owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Racso is Legendary
No they are not. People pay $200 for a gun and expect $1000 performance out of them. Are there better guns out there in similar price ranges? Yes. Are they completely useless? No.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:55 PM #20
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racso View Post
No they are not. People pay $200 for a gun and expect $1000 performance out of them. Are there better guns out there in similar price ranges? Yes. Are they completely useless? No.
Never said it was bad, just there is better bang for the buck.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 PM #21
Tempted (Banned)

When an Ion is working it is a great gun. When an Ion is broken it is usually from user malfunction.