Oh, you...

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM #130
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
As we are all aware, for some strange reason, there is a association between conservative politics and Christianity in america, but from my perspective I see quite the opposite. The right might align on more insignificant social issues like homosexuality and abortion (although I don't believe that the bible tells us anywhere to enforce those moral beliefs as law), but the left seems to align itself on much deeper core issues of the Bible, like social justice and egalitarianism.

I guess in my mind there are two possible explanations. Firstly, it is possible that the church and the theologians of this era are simply misguided in what I believe to be proper interpretation of the Bible. But after studying the modern American theologians (although I am no expert on modern theology), I don't see this to be the case. This ranges from theologians like Tillich and MLK to the recent Bishops vs Paul Ryan dispute. How about the Pope (leader of one of the most traditional churches) saying things like:

So, now, I have come to a second conclusion. The disconnect is not between the biblical message and the theologians; it is between the theologians and the layman. How is it that the conservatives and political right can have this claim to Christian authenticity when in fact their teachers and church leaders are supporting the very opposite?

/endrant

Thought?
I was staring into a glass of an oatmeal stout, after an uncountable number of hot sake shots on Saturday, and started thinking about this topic. I dont know why, I suspect because I needed to drown out the horrible DJ, and the pissy spouse, it's a shame tobacco doesn't do more for you.

Anyway. The whole left and right division is essentially over hierarchy and authority versus freedom and equality. Taking the garden of Eden into account, eating the forbidden fruit was the ultimate rejection and rebellion of authority and hierarchy. The ultimate temptation, to be like God, as his equal; not so much in pride, but in arrogance and ultimate rejection of one's true nature and place.

I was wrong before. The God of Abraham created a hierarchical universe according to everything I've seen from the bible. I cannot, therefore, see Christianity as anything but conservative. I don't think agape is a universal love in the sense of universal acceptance. I think, instead, that it is a call for just action, for the good of your neighbor.

In respect to your last comment. I think some of the church leadership has been doing a fair amount of betrayal to their laymen parishes. I don't follow any church activity very closely, but I do come across an article from time to time. The newly elected Arch bishop of Canterbury comes across as a snake to me.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 PM #131
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
the right took dibs on the "pro-life" title as it relates to abortion.
I thought it was the Supreme Court that made that decision per the Constitution of the United States.

The "Right" supports the decision of the Supreme Court and the Constitution.

Quote:
I could also make the claim that modern republicans and Christians are typically people who are more susceptible to propaganda and group think, but that's probably not the best direction to take this thread in
Kind of a sweeping generalization but still might have a point for some. Have some immediate family that is just so extreme in their views. Either that or my views are extreme. We sat in their church several times with the preacher spewing hatred for gays, telling the congregation how to vote in the next election. Endorsing candidates, etc. There was NO sermon. Few Biblical references. Just political points of view. And when questioned, they BELIEVE he must be right. He is the preacher, after all. They respect his opinion because he is in the pulpit.

Otherwise, they are decent, family oriented human beings I am happy to call family. Just never heard an independent thought. Just repeat what they are told and cannot support their beliefs with intelligent conversations. They simply Lack critical thinking.

Their son fell in love. Romeo and Juliet story. They were NOT going to be married in the Catholic Church. They were not going to raise their grandchildren in the Catholic Church. He was NOT going be become Catholic. It is a religious CULT! They were not invited to the wedding. So 20 years later, they have had little or no contact with him or their grandchildren. No birthdays, No graduations, no Christmas, Easter, Nothing. They are still sure their marriage will fail and he will apologize for not listening to his parents. I wonder who told them the Catholic Church was a Cult?

Some people just prefer to be told what to do. What is right, what is wrong. How to vote. How dictators get into power. Lambs to the slaughter.

Quote:
Part of the issue for me is that the social issue specifically of abortion is a 100% deal breaker, so even if I vastly prefer the policy of one party over another, I'll always vote for the most pro life option.
First, I am both pro life and pro choice and comfortable with that. How could that be possible? You are or your aren't. There is no middle ground.

The Pro Life side of me says life is important if not sacred. Anything a society does that devalues human life is fundamentally wrong to me. That includes putting our elderly in nursing homes, death penality, selling girls into slavery and prostitution, killing girls in a society that favors boy children, war in general, cultures with caste systems, slavery and exploitation, sex discrimination in all its forms. and on and on.

If it devalues that person, holds one group above another, it is fundamentally wrong. If we, as a society goes down that road, it is a slippery slope. It gets easier to disenfranchise another group. Then another. Then it just might turn out to be ME!

And this country is on the downhill side. Racism is alive and well, Sex discrimination well established, The State cares for our elderly. Gun slaughter in video games is "entertainment". Abortion is a routine means of birth control. All devalues human life and what it means to literally be HUMAN rather than just another animal.

The Pro Choice side of me agrees with the right of a woman to control her own body. Otherwise, she is devalued if we take it away from here. Same moral position as forced prostitution. They have a right to control their own bodies. We, a society cannot force people to undergo medical procedures or NOT to. We cannot have a free country if we can't control our own medical decisions. We have the right to make BAD decisions and live with the consequences which includes Judgment Day. It is the Law of the Land and short of a Constitutional Amendment it is a done deal for my lifetime. The rest if fluff and political rhetoric.

So here comes the politics. It is NOT about Pro Life or Pro Choice. Not the moral beliefs but simply VOTES. Who would argue that the terms Pro Life or Pro Choice are NOT political vocabulary and clichés.

The Pro Life is ingrained in the GOP platform as is the Pro Choice is ingrained in the Democratic platform. Been that way for decades.

So, if it is so important what has the Pro Life gotten for their vote in Federal Elections. The answer is NOTHING. Lip Service. If I am wrong please point that piece of legislation out to me. I'm serious. Show me ANYTHING I should give my vote for.

Simularly, what has the Democrats done. NOTHING. Held the line? Funded Planned Parenthood that offers a variety of birth control options including abortion. It didn't increase the number of abortions just like not funding Planned Parenthood did nothing to decrease the number of abortions.

When it comes to politics, it is a null issue for me. A non persuader for my vote. A worthless plank in both parties platform. Exists only to attract voters that don't realize there is NO INTENTION by either party to actually DO Something to reduce the number of abortions in this country.

The same goes for Gun Control or Lack there of. Both parties talk the talk but neither walks the walk at the Federal Level.

The Supreme Court has said it is up to the states to regulate guns and abortion. That is where the fight is and not at the Federal Level.
The Supreme Court or Appelate Court just struck down PART of the Texas Abortion Law the day before it went into effect. Infringed on womens constitutional rights. Other parts were upheld.

So for me, it is easy to support both Pro Life or Pro Choice which puts me in the middle of the road which is probably where it belongs morally. The rest is just political rhetoric for votes.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 11-04-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:41 PM #132
Iamamartianchurch

What does that all have to do with Christianity?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 PM #133
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Conservative Christians are very involved in politics on religious grounds.

Thus politics involve Christianity.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:38 AM #134
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
Conservative Christians are very involved in politics on religious grounds.

Thus politics involve Christianity.
The topic is Christianity the religion, not Christianity the religious sensibility.