PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM #1
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

stevebski supports Bob Gurnsey
stevebski supports our troops
Best place online to get bulk fluorescent tempera paint?

I'm jumping headfirst into DIY grenade making and I'm looking for an online supplier of fluorescent tempera paint. I'm looking to buy more than 8 ounces at a time and pay the exact same in shipping each time as I do for an 8 ounce bottle. Anybody have any recommendations?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 PM #2
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

Disregard. Found a recipe online for making my own paint out of cooking ingredients instead. Since everybody on here appears to be stay-out-of-my-sandbox about their paint recipes I'll share what took me a couple hours to find.

Water
Flour
Cornstarch
Food coloring

Start with the desired amount of water. I'm planning on doing 4-5 gallons at a time. You want to keep in mind that the thickening agents you'll be using will add volume. Add in the flour and cornstarch in equal parts until desired thickness. Last but not least add your food coloring. I found a few companies that sell neon food coloring now. The packaging states the more food coloring you add, the darker the color gets. For neon, less apparently is more.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:53 PM #3
(NMA)SixSigma

I am going to follow your post...I want to see how far along this will come. As far as what materials you will use to contain the paint and how you will be able to release the paint....I was thinking like a soda bottle with said solution and some sort of mixture agent that when shook up it will explode paint.
Commandment #1: I am the War Lord and the wrathful God of Combat and I will ALWAYS lead you from the front, not the rear.
-Marcinko
(NMA)SixSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:17 PM #4
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

Not necessarily. I have constructed a grenade filling device and will be pressure inflating surgical tubing like the store bought grenades. Just a lot cheaper.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 PM #5
ace_austin

I would recommend avoiding flour. After a few days it will begin to rot and stink to kingdom come. I use cornstarch in mine to make a thick napalm style mix. Makes it easier to store. I add water as required to get to flow only when I'm filling the grenades. And food coloring may end up staining clothes. I'd stick to something like Crayola washable finger paint. I busted out 25 of these in about an hour over the weekend. To fill I went with a 3 gallon Ace pump sprayer. Just unscrew the black nozzle tip and slide the tube over the end. (I use a hemostat to help clamp it on to prevent a mess) Unit cost for all the bits and bobs, plus paint comes out to about $1.25 per grenade. And you can make them as big or as small as you want. Def the way to go if your not affraid to invest a little time. I don't know WHO is getting defensive about their paint mix but here is mine. Seems to work well:
Cornstarch
Water
Crayola Washable Finger Paint(Comes in tubes)
Boil water, add the cornstarch to make a thick milky white glob. While still warm add a tube or two of the paint and mix well. Let cool. If it cools to be super thick then just cut it with some water until the proper consistancy is reached. You can try adding somthing for smell, I've heard some folks use Vanilla extract. Isn't a big secret, just some common grocery items.

Last edited by ace_austin : 08-01-2012 at 08:21 PM.
ace_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:24 PM #6
stevebski
< Kris Williams is HOT

Thank you for the tips Ace!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM #7
N2extreme1

Discountschoolsupplys.com has 1 gallon for $11.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM #8
coyote5987

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I am trying this now!

Using the latex tube for the actual grenade part
coyote5987 is offline   Reply With Quote