Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM #1
dwizum

Possible scam

Putting this here even though I hope I don't need it, in case the mods can lend a hand in any way.

On August 7 I contacted a member via PM who had posted a for sale thread listing a HPA tank for $80. I submitted the $80 via paypal and the member told me the tank would ship the next day (August 8).

I expected shipping to take about a week. I never got a tracking number from the seller despite it being promised in the for sale thread. After a little more than a week had gone by with no tank showing up, I reached out to the seller via PM on this forum, email to their paypal address, and an anonymous text to the cell number they provided (I don't enjoy handing out my phone number to strangers). They responded a day later that they were on vacation but had sent the tank before they left. They claimed they would give me the tracking number when they got back from vacation.

A few more days pass, which brings us to last Monday. I send another PM on this forum asking if they were back from vacation yet, and the seller responds that they had accidentally labeled the addresses on the box in the wrong spots and essentially shipped it to themselves. They said they had it and would ship it out again ASAP and provide me a tracking number. They offered a $10 refund for the trouble caused by the delay. I haven't heard a peep from this person since then, despite reaching out via email, text, and PM on this forum daily all week. They have not logged in to this forum since Monday evening.

I am going to post screen shots but I have blacked out all information identifying myself or the other party. Perhaps I am foolish for taking this stance, but I like to believe in the goodness and decency of humankind and I'm assuming the tank may already be in the mail and/or something has happened that left the person unable to ship it (in which case, I want my money back). I'd like help with this - perhaps the admins have an email address besides the one I have for this person they could send a note to? To facilitate that, I will provide unedited images to the mods/admins offline if they want. If I don't get any response soon, I guess I'm going to have to assume I've been scammed out of my $80, and contact paypal and my credit card company to get a refund.

I probably shouldn't say this out loud in case the potential scammer is reading this thread, but the money isn't really a huge deal to me. All I really want is a flipping HPA tank so I can go play paintball with the gun I just bought...
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM #2
dwizum

Beginning of PM conversation:

Scrolling:

Scrolling:

The email I sent on the 17th and a few follow ups:

Paypal transaction:

Last edited by dwizum : 08-23-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM #3
aerosaaber

aerosaaber supports our troops
if you're not going to share their name with us, have you sent them a link to this thread?

did you open a paypal claim? that'd be where I'd start. If the tank shows up then you can close it (BUT NOT BEFORE, once it's closed you can't reopen it)

any delay tactics scream "scammer" to me. I hope to be proven wrong.
I play woodsball/scenario but I don't hate on speedballers.
aerosaaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 PM #4
dwizum

Yes, I have sent a link to their PM, paypal email, and via text to their cell. Whether I get a response or not, I am hoping an admin or mod can check the person's account and see if there is an email address on file that I do not have, and/or contact the person through some other means. I'd like to do that offline (i.e. via PM) vs. putting their name here in public, since I don't have any "hard proof" of a scam other than the item hasn't shown up yet. For all I know, it's in the mail and the seller hasn't communicated for some valid reason (though I doubt that's true at this point). At any rate, the seller has a positive feedback score in the teens and has been a member for about a year, so I'd hope they care about their reputation on here.

Unfortunately I submitted the payment as a gift. Despite having been buying and selling on the netwebz since before paypal even existed, I never realized that's a dangerous way to make the transaction (I've never been scammed before). Paypal refuses to let me file a dispute through their online portal, but I've emailed their customer service hotline anyways, and I plan on disputing the charge with my credit card company as well.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM #5
dwizum

Well, the plot thickens. I just got a response from the text, claiming to be the seller's fiance (So apparently the seller gave me her number instead of his in the PM above?). I wrote her back, maybe I can find out what's going on after all.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM #6
USAFWD
Privates Investigator

Annual Supporting Member
USAFWD is a Mega Moderator
USAFWD donated to help Peyton Trent
USAFWD supports our troops
USAFWD supports DLX Technology
Please PM me the username of the seller. Thanks.
USAFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:04 AM #7
aerosaaber

aerosaaber supports our troops
your paypal transaction shows fees? is that the new thing where the charge you extra for using a credit card?

"misdirection" by saying they're actually someone else is another tactic used by scammers.

<- very skeptical at this point.
I play woodsball/scenario but I don't hate on speedballers.
aerosaaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:13 PM #8
AWills213

I am the seller in question... I have been in contact with the buyer today and have given him the tracking info. he is fully aware of the situation and i have even offered to call him and speak on the phone.

He was in contact with my fiance, as she has had my phone this week.

The most i am willing to disclose is that i was unavailable and i was not able to communicate with him. I have told him i will compensate him for the delays and provided a tracking number. I take my feedback and online BST'ing seriously. Sometimes though, life happens and **** goes sideways

If any admin wishes for more details, i am happy to provide them, in private message format. Otherwise, he should have the tank in a day or so, and this will all be behind us.
AWills213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM #9
dwizum

I have the tracking number and it is working now. Shows delivery estimated on the 27th. Will post back to close the thread when it gets here and will close the dispute with paypal and the credit card company assuming a positive outcome. Awillis, good luck resolving your recent issues.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:01 PM #10
AWills213

Thank you. Also, i want to point out that despite the frustrations dwizum must have had, he still managed to conduct himself in the most mature possible way. I fully understand the steps he took and i have no issues with how he handled things. From his point of view, i would imagine things did look a little suspicious.

glad things got worked out.

Thanks
AWills213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:55 PM #11
Tempted (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosaaber View Post
any delay tactics scream "scammer" to me. I hope to be proven wrong.
I wouldn't go that far. I had a delayed shipment that was a day late because I paid for Regional Rate shipping online, then they didn't have the boxes at the post office. Had to go back the next day and use a flat rate box.
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:31 PM #12
dwizum

Got the tank today as promised by USPS. It's in great shape. Issue closed - can a mod mark the thread as resolved and lock it?