Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 AM #1
darknessclaw

PB Marker Maintenance

I'm looking to buy my own PB Marker, I'll MOST LIKELY be going for a Phantom VSC right off the bat, how much/often should I clean em up and lube them up? Also, is it a bad idea to leave the marker in a car during a hot or even cold day?
darknessclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM #2
HateEverything
Everything Burns.

Owning a pb marker is a lot like owning a car- both require maintenance and not all of it needs to be done each time you use it. However, if you are playing all day (or two days over a particularly rigorous weekend) you should be doing general maintenance.

This usually includes wiping the exterior of the gun down with a dry (or damp rag, NOT soaking wet) being cautious near any electronic components your gun might have (I know the phantom won't, but for future reference). You also should remove and clean the barrel. These are your general duties (think of this as an oil change, should happen each time you play).

Depending on your gun, the weather and how many times your gun took a direct hit or chopped a ball (its likely you will have this happen from time to time with the phantom) you may need to clean it internally. This involves removing the main bolt assembly wiping it down and re-greasing it. Take special care to remove any paint shell flecks as these become like sharp glass when they harden. (think of this as a less common but still important bit of maintenance- maybe a tune up).

Finally you come to the big job- something like a transmission job. It should be infrequent and only when required but it is necessary from time to time. This is your standard reg rebuild. Whether it be lpr or hpr, inline or frame-fed, you'll want to be aware of when your regulation seems to be.... well, irregular. Or if any dirt, mud, etc ends up near or inside the regulator. Don't over do this one.

As with any advice you get from the internet, always consult a professional and if you are in doubt, take it to the nearest pro shop. Remember, these things have very sensitive high pressure parts and they are dangerous.

Also, there is no reason to leave it in the car, hot or cold, so no. Don't do it.
Some men just want to watch the world
burn.
MP | SP
HateEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:03 PM #3
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Phantoms are very low maintenance. Ideally you'd disassemble and lubricate any marker after every day of play, but on mine it's usually every other time.

Good luck to you if want your first gun to be a Phantom VSC. After playing for about 16 years now and owning a couple dozen guns, my Phantom is the one I've decided to stick with, but realize that using this marker for most walk-on games will be like bringing a knife to a machine gun fight. However, if you want to learn paintball the hard way (and the right way, since it's pump) godspeed to you.

One thing about stock-class guns is that you'll need to learn to rock the gun forward when you cock it in order to load the next paintball. When you goof this up, and trust me, at first you will, the bolt will close-halfway on the paintball and usually break it, making a huge mess in the chamber and feedtube and rendering the gun unusable until it's disassembled and cleaned.

The Phantom's gripframe is held on with two thumbscrews, and removing these also allows you to remove the two major moving parts, the bolt and hammer. These are the parts you'll want to clean and lube. The Phantom uses oil, not grease, and it only takes a drop or two on each part. I like to put a little oil on the portion of the pump arm that enters the channel in the grip frame, to reduce pump stroke friction.

Leaving a Phantom in the car isn't going to damage it.
Everything in that marker is aluminum, plastic, or stainless steel, the springs included, so it's pretty well corrosion-proof.

Last edited by The Inflicted : 08-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 PM #4
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
I'd follow what The Infected said about the Phantoms

Congrats on your first pump and/or paintball marker!

Keep note of how versatile the platform is and you can really upgrade the things to infinity! Best of luck and hope you enjoy it.

Some suggestions if you ever do want to upgrade would be to invest in a cocker threaded breech and an undercocking kit of some (good quality) type.

With a cocker threaded breech, you have the option to run a plethora of high quality and small bore barrels that aren't available in phantom threading, and this can let you cut down on the amount of parts you need on the gun (like those detent rings or other small widgets and what have you).

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"

Last edited by YeloSno : 08-20-2012 at 08:47 PM.
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 PM #5
darknessclaw

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm going to try and familiarize myself with my phantom before I play with it (taking it apart and putting it together) so I can do it on the fly. I'll take each thing you guys have said into account, thanks again!
darknessclaw is offline   Reply With Quote