Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 PM #1
kamdog211

How do you afford to play?

So I'm a family man and on a pretty tight budget. I am getting back into paintball after about 6 years. I mostly played woods ball back then which didn't require a lot of money.

I am wondering how you guys afford to play in tournaments? I mean, field fees run around $15-$25. Field paint ($40 for the cheap stuff and $50 and up for the good stuff). So your looking at $70 to 100 bucks to practice with a team once a week or so. Then there is keeping up with the newest markers and other paintball gear and travel cost.

So, how do you guys afford it? Is this your only hobby? Do you have a second job? Beg? Borrow?

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 PM #2
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
cptnemo66 is playing at Living Legends VII
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 is attending Decay of Nations VI
cptnemo66 supports Empire
Tourney play can get expensive. Like you Im back after 10 years. But I played the tourney game before I left. You get a field to sponsor your team. You work for the field in exchange for free play, paint at cost, ect. We were really good with the owner of our field that he also paid our tourney entry fee's and got us a deal with Raven(old company) for all our soft goods & 32 Degree's for paint. Its really hard to play any type of traveling series with out help. Start small at local fields and hope to make friends. Its all about networking, you dont have to be the best at paintball. We won a tourney at our local field first, then just kept showing up, bringing friends, hanging out with his other sponsored teams, almost working for him before he offered to pick up our team. It really was like a second job. Also in the beggining look for fields that have team pratice days. Most of the time the fee's are less or none and the paint is always cheaper.

Last edited by cptnemo66 : 08-20-2012 at 07:38 PM.
cptnemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 AM #3
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

started practicing with trying to use only a hopper and pod per game unless it was absolutely necesarry to use more. (i.e., super long drawn out game where we are down numbers and need to play defensive). that ended up saving me quite a bit of paint throughout the day since it forced me to learn and make moves and make shots count. there were lots of times i ended up still having half a case at the end of the day.

also i dont bother keeping up with the latest and greatest marker. not a whole lot has changed in the last 4-5 years, i tend to pic a gun i think ill really like and stick with it for a long time. if something works, why get rid of it?

some fields also have a season pass or membership, ours did which waved the $15 for field and air fees, and gave a 10% discount on anything in the shop. might want to see if thats an option if you know you are going to be playing a lot. it was really nice for us only having to pay for paint at $37 per case. (normally about $45)

carpool there if you can.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 AM #4
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
If you want to play competitively without spending a lot of money, buy used equipment and only play local tournaments. There's no cheap way to play national events without good sponsorships, even if you're winning.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:10 AM #5
kamdog211

thanks

Thanks for all of the advise. My friends and I looked into this a while back and the economics of playing tournaments just seem unfeasible. Also, it was a little difficult to get a group of guys committed to practicing on a weekly or semi-weekly basis not even counting the money it takes to practice.

Also, around where I live at, there does not seem to be many PB fields that have tournaments. We'd have to drive 1.5 -2 hours to get anywhere with a larger PB population.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 AM #6
SupaSteve20

SupaSteve20 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SupaSteve20 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SupaSteve20 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
if you wanna play and save money dont come to Long island. Our local field charges 30 bux for entry and 85 for a case of paint. There were only 2 fields to begin with and one of them closed so they have been jacking up their prices. Horrible for the game and i noticed a drop off in people playing. I have definatley slowed down from once a week to once a month sadly.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 AM #7
kamdog211

It's not easy in Richmond, VA either. A lot of places have closed down and the fields that are sort of close (30 minutes or so) are mostly designed for woods ball (which I also love).

I guess tournament play may not be in the cards right now.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM #8
PumpStalker

PumpStalker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PumpStalker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not to hijack the thread but if playing tournament paintball isn't feasible and you still want to play every week, why not try out Pump? You can play on a bag of paint all day so a case of paint should last you all month, if not longer. If you've never tried it, it's definitely worth a shot.

Play Pump. ಠ_ಠ

"Originally posted by wowzerz: Point is, no matter who wins the argument, it doesn't really matter."
PumpStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 AM #9
HateEverything
Everything Burns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpStalker View Post
If you've never tried it, it's definitely worth a shot.
punny
Some men just want to watch the world
burn.
MP | SP
HateEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:52 AM #10
kamdog211

I have looked into pump and even just pistols before. The problem is none of my other friends are into it.

I almost don't want to say it here on PbNation but I've even looked into "airsoft"....
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM #11
TommyTwoToes
Pump Chump

TommyTwoToes plays in the APPA D4 division
honestly, I work 3 jobs.
(mainly because of child support) but I afford to play paintball as well.
Pump would be a cheap route to take for tournys
but I would find a team, and try to get some sponsorships to help out with the costs. Paint is pretty expensive as is a good marker and field fee etc.
I play pretty cheaply, I can probably go to a field and spend 40 for the entire day (not counting food/drink)
Some fields may give you a discount on paint if you are there a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaSteve20 View Post
if you wanna play and save money dont come to Long island. Our local field charges 30 bux for entry and 85 for a case of paint. There were only 2 fields to begin with and one of them closed so they have been jacking up their prices. Horrible for the game and i noticed a drop off in people playing. I have definatley slowed down from once a week to once a month sadly.
That is insane. I would never play at that field.
Most fields I have ever been to charge 5 - 15 for field (with all day air)
and 40 - 60 for paint
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM #12
kamdog211

I think that's my problem locally, is that to play for a day, it's going to cost upwards of 60 to 80 depending on paint cost which to me is the biggest factor in price after you get your gear setup. If paint were half the price, I would be playing a lot more.

Now if my son starts playing a few years from now, I might have to take out a loan.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM #13
Icon0clast