Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM #1
t&bpaintthrowers

E-Grip problems on a5

New to paintball, I got my son an a5 with an e-grip and for some reason when firing in full or semi auto, it will shoot for a few shots then the bolt will stay cocked, but the e-grip will not fire. The e-grip is clicking, sear and back bolt do not have wear on them. I'm in need pf assistance. Thanks in advance. Also, I did install a new battery.
t&bpaintthrowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 PM #2
Whiteyboy

Annual Supporting Member
Whiteyboy is a Moderator
Whiteyboy donated to help Peyton Trent
Whiteyboy is playing at Living Legends V
Whiteyboy supports Bob Gurnsey
Whiteyboy supports our troops
Did the e-grip come with the A-5 or did you buy it separately?

New or used?

Could you take a picture of your trigger assembly?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:18 PM #3
sphynx
Scuba

has been a member for 10 years
sphynx posts videos on PbNation
sphynx has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
sphynx supports DLX Technology
E-grip came with the gun. non-holo style ( older kind w/o the bullets on the side). used gun. I took a look at t&bpaintthrowers gun on Friday and i can't figure it out. Really bizarre.
sphynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 PM #4
jeremyhaile
old dog

I've resolved a lot of similar issues that were caused by two things:
1 - Low battery. By quality alkaline batt's and replace often. You'll have a better day -even if the red light isn't blinking.
2 - Assembly issues. The sear return spring is pretty wimpy by design (should be silver in color) and I've seen people get trigger and sear spings swapped causing results similar to what you descibe. There could also be a few other possibilities. I've seen non electric trigger groups end up in electric guns. They'll go together, but they don't work right. Also, is your magnet properly in place? It helps the plunger part of your solenoid go all the way back to function properly. Is your armature (the rod) clear of wires etc?
jeremyhaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:39 PM #5
sphynx
Scuba

Yeah. I only had time to look at the trigger frame. The magnets in place and didn't move around. Hate it when those buggers move. The rods clear of all wires.

Its weird. It shoots for a bit, then the bolt stays cocked and the trigger clicks. The owner said he just put a brand new battery in it. I know guns do weird things when batteries are low. I checked the capacitor. It's not swollen or leaking.

I was thinking either the boards not giving enough electicity to make that armature move up ( board, silver solenoid thingy on the bottom that pushes the rod up.) Whats that silver thing called anyway?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:24 PM #6
jeremyhaile
old dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphynx View Post
Yeah. I only had time to look at the trigger frame. The magnets in place and didn't move around. Hate it when those buggers move. The rods clear of all wires.

Its weird. It shoots for a bit, then the bolt stays cocked and the trigger clicks. The owner said he just put a brand new battery in it. I know guns do weird things when batteries are low. I checked the capacitor. It's not swollen or leaking.

I was thinking either the boards not giving enough electicity to make that armature move up ( board, silver solenoid thingy on the bottom that pushes the rod up.) Whats that silver thing called anyway?
I've not seen a lot of failed cap's on Tippmanns though I see them on spyders weekly.

Honestly, your description sounds so much like a battery issue that I wouldn't move on until you make sure it's not. The key to trouble shooting is to never make an assumption.

Don't trust the battery, or the previous owner even if he is the nicest guy in the world. Get a battery. If it is a good battery, you'll need it eventually and nothing is wasted. Sometimes a freak battery or one with a low discharge rate can cause grief, but supply enough voltage to keep the led light sowing normal function. If you have a volt meter a name brand battery will usually register 9.3-9.5 volts if fully charged. If they read under 9 volts even a little, it is bad news for most paintball guns. It's just bad trouble shooting to not replace it. I probably own one of the closest certified tippmann tech centers near you. I'm near Boise; Just bring it on over if you don't figure it out :-)

BTW I refer to that part of the noid as the plunger.

Last edited by jeremyhaile : 08-18-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: fix typo
jeremyhaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:50 PM #7
sphynx
Scuba

Thanks for the help from the land of potatoes :-p

I'll tell the owner to swap the batteries again this Sunday and see what happens.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 AM #8
t&bpaintthrowers

I did replace battery the day before I took it to DMZ, just a thought, the a5 is used and it did come with extras, including original grip, I wonder if maybe the guy that I got it from accidentally switched trigger assemblies by mistake. I will switch them out and see if that makes a difference. Let you guys know how it goes and thanks for the advice.
t&bpaintthrowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:12 AM #9
sphynx
Scuba

See you out there tomorrow!