memorex
I'm Suppish

memorex helped look for balloons
memorex is playing at Living Legends V
memorex owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
memorex supports Team VICIOUS
memorex is reppin' sidebar 4 life
'Prometheus' sequel moves forward

just for anyone who liked the latest ridley scott movie. You might get your answers after all!
Quote:
Still scratching your head over just what took place in "Prometheus"? Well, some of those pesky hundred-or-so unanswered questions may finally be answered as 20th Century Fox has confirmed that a sequel to the sci-fi epic is moving forward.

The Hollywood Reporter says that director Ridley Scott and the studio "actively are pushing ahead with a follow-up" and stars Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace are signed on for the film, which is set in the Alien universe.

"Ridley is incredibly excited about the movie, but we have to get it right. We can't rush it," says Fox president of production Emma Watts.

Perhaps clued in to the controversy surrounding the incredibly cryptic nature of Prometheus and its many unanswered questions, the producers are talking to new writers, but the Reporter indicates the move is because co-writer Damon Lindelof "might not be available
Not sure if this is news worthy. Movie thread is pretty dead anyways, and I just came across this on the MSNBC homepage. Never know, everything can still fall apart on a sequel.
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 PM #2
Iamamartianchurch

I enjoyed Prometheus. I thought it ended well in the vein of the first matrix film. It actually answered all of its questions but left it open for the minds of the viewer to envision for themselves how things would end. I'm afraid that the sequels will end up like the matrix sequels. Complete drivel.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM #3
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
I have faith in Ridley Scott. As long as he's still writing and directing, it should be another great movie. I'm with you though... Hope it doesn't turn in to what the Matrix did...

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:48 PM #4
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeus000 View Post
Can't understand why this movie is getting bad reviews... I loved it. And I loved the original Alien.

Also, no way Ridley Scott is doing a sequel, he's never done a sequel in his career (that I can recall at least).

Edit: Incredible performance by Fassbender, as always.
oh ya bro?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:34 PM #5
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
I have faith in Ridley Scott. As long as he's still writing and directing, it should be another great movie. I'm with you though... Hope it doesn't turn in to what the Matrix did...
Funny thing is, I don't believe those films were actually conceived as a trilogy. Regardless of what the writer/directors say. Star Wars as well. It is most obvious as the first is always a standalone and the final two are interlocked.
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:52 PM #6
mcgyver
Common Sense Is Tingling

mcgyver is a Supporting Member
mcgyver supports Pev's Paintball
mcgyver is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
mcgyver is Legendary
Theres such a radical change in style and quality of the Matrix movies. They trilogy is an afterthought IMO

GO BEARS/CUBS/HAWKS
mcgyver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 PM #7
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Yessssss

And I agree about the matrix trilly being meh

ABET Accredited Level II Machinist - CNC programmer - Mech. Engineering Technologist
Polarst*r Engineering and Machine

ElPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM #8
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Funny thing is, I don't believe those films were actually conceived as a trilogy. Regardless of what the writer/directors say. Star Wars as well. It is most obvious as the first is always a standalone and the final two are interlocked.
Alien no, but that's obvious by how long between movies+the fact different bros did the movies. I definitely think the matrix intended to have at least 2 movies though. I just think they were in tryhard mode, especially for the third.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:54 AM #9
BMcC13
Vatican Assasin

BMcC13 helped look for balloons
BMcC13 is playing at Living Legends III
BMcC13 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
BMcC13 supports Team VICIOUS
Last time somebody promised me they'd answer my questions if I kept watching, I got ****ed in the *** for 6 seasons by J.J. Abrams
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 PM #10
Eternal Acacia
The Canyon Behind Her

Eternal Acacia is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcC13 View Post
Last time somebody promised me they'd answer my questions if I kept watching, I got ****ed in the *** for 6 seasons by J.J. Abrams
Spit my drink out laughing because it's true
and the future don't exist

"Originally posted by XSVterror16 V.4: Alright, let me break this down for you. Subaru is a company with stars and a blue background in it's symbol. The national color of Australia is blue and their nights have lots of stars in the sky. Subaru uses bockster motors from Porches. Subaru is Australian and uses Porche motors in their cars. Understand?"
Eternal Acacia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM #11
Pump #54

Pump #54 supports DLX Technology
Me and two team mates saw this movie... It was so bad we wanted our money back....

Terrible doors opened to the Alien franchise!
Pump #54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 PM #12
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Personally, I don't think one should write a movie with hidden meanings and metaphors if they can't write the basics into it first, like believable characters and a plot that doesn't completely rely on the characters', and therefore the audience's, stupidity. I think the people involved have talent, so I'm hoping that the sequel is little better developed than the last.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:16 PM #13
spizle2k5
Pink Flag

spizle2k5 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_scott View Post
Personally, I don't think one should write a movie with hidden meanings and metaphors if they can't write the basics into it first, like believable characters and a plot that doesn't completely rely on the characters', and therefore the audience's, stupidity. I think the people involved have talent, so I'm hoping that the sequel is little better developed than the last.

basics would be the entire point of the movie

one review pointed out the black substance reacts to how it is used

such is the beginning of the movie it was used for life and later in the movie it turned into a plague which probably relates to the quest for immortality

I hate myself so much for not clapping when the engineer ripped david's head off. My regret came after the movie was in theaters or I would have paid again just to clap
spizle2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 PM #14
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Don't even get me started on the idea of an alien's DNA seeding Earth with life then some how miraculously have that life evolve into something with the exact DNA millions of years down the line. That's just lazy sci fi. Again, I can look past the dumb science of the movie if the rest of it was well done. I know Scott and the writers have something they want to say with these movies I just think they screwed the pooch when it came to the execution this time around. Hoping the next movie works it out.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:24 PM #15
spizle2k5
Pink Flag

I don't think of it as their exact DNA but more of a created substance that "reacts" or interacts with concious decisions.
Which does leave questions like are the engineers in the movie the very first intelligent life?
Did they create the black substance and how?
And are they the first to use it or are they a product of it themselves?
Why did they use it in that manner?

How can you say it is dumb science unless you know everything about all forms of life and the universe?

Last edited by spizle2k5 : 08-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM #16
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by spizle2k5 View Post
I don't think of it as their exact DNA but more of a created substance that "reacts" or interacts with concious decisions.
Which does leave questions like are the engineers in the movie the very first intelligent life?
Did they create the black substance and how?
And are they the first to use it or are they a product of it themselves?
Why did they use it in that manner?

How can you say it is dumb science unless you know everything about all forms of life and the universe?
Because how a lifeform evolves correlates with the environment it lives in and involves countless variables. If we are to assume that all life on earth evolved from whatever was seeded by the engineers whether it was their DNA by being dissolved or by the magic alien goo, then whatever life was created would be subject to the environment of Earth from that point on. The odds that the seed would eventually evolve into a creature so similar to the Engineers, let alone nearly identical as far as DNA is concerned, are astronomical if not impossible. Again, I could look past this, suspension of disbelief and all that, if the scientists in the movie weren't all idiots. Bad science and leaps of logic are nothing new in Sci Fi, I get that, I just want to be entertained and not treated like a moron.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM #17
spizle2k5
Pink Flag

I think it is safe to assume the black substance reacts in the manner of who is using it.
With that said the variables can be determined since as shown at the beginning life was created by a sacrifice from a genuine source which allowed the reaction maximum time to evolve into what we know today.
On the other hand the giant creature that infects and births black aliens was created overnight probably by David/Weylands rush for survival and subsequent human suffering.
Also interesting to note how humans look like the engineers and the later is a monster(giant hand?).
I don't see how the movie is treating anyone like a moron.
I think it is a blend of religion and science.
Makes me think about the price of finding out if we were created or evolved.

Last edited by spizle2k5 : 08-14-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM #18
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
It treats us like morons by expecting us to believe that any human being, let alone supposedly trained scientists who are the best in their fields would do stupid things like take off their helmets in an alien environment just because the air was breathable, or not notice the obvious signs of aggression from a damn space cobra.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 PM #19
spizle2k5
Pink Flag

I can relate.
I use to wonder why people in movies would do stupid things.
Especially stand there when they should run.
Then one day when I was a kid my brother and I were playing fetch with a dog.
One time he picked the stick back up and the dog randomly decided to attack him.
I was dead froze at the sight for 10 seconds until another kid pulled me away and that was the only time in my life that has happened which I believe is rare for everyone else as well.
After that I didn't feel that way about movies because it was a perfect copy.
Maybe it's easier for me but in their situation the plausibility for their reactions become more believable.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM #20
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

The matrix trilogy is piss **** at best. 1 good movie and 2 boring piles of ****.

kind of excited about this, although i thought the Prometheus did a good job filling a lot of holes. definitely opened up new questions but i am not entirely sure the story line is all that compelling.
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM #21
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by spizle2k5
I can relate.
I use to wonder why people in movies would do stupid things.
Especially stand there when they should run.
Then one day when I was a kid my brother and I were playing fetch with a dog.
One time he picked the stick back up and the dog randomly decided to attack him.
I was dead froze at the sight for 10 seconds until another kid pulled me away and that was the only time in my life that has happened which I believe is rare for everyone else as well.
After that I didn't feel that way about movies because it was a perfect copy.
Maybe it's easier for me but in their situation the plausibility for their reactions become more believable.
Being dumbfounded by fear/shock and trying to pet something that obviously wants to kill you are completely different things.