Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM #1
hunter2013

Chevy silverado 1500 2003 single cab

Please before anyone gripes about turning a truck into a performance car/drag truck this is not my intention, I am looking to change my 4.3 liter v6 and upgrade to either a 350 or a 383 stroker. Now what I am really needing to know is that can I use my stock 5 speed manual transmission with either of those I'm willing to get a new one if the price is right. Again I am looking for an everyday truck until my freshman/sophomore year in college ill be graduating this upcoming summer or perhaps longer, so please help me if you can thanks
hunter2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM #2
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
383 in a truck sounds like no traction+tree=badtime.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:07 PM #3
mousepad1123

what type of transmission is it? that's the most important piece of information here...it should say what model it is in your owner's manual. http://www.ehow.com/how_5027137_dete...on-gm-car.html
use this link if you need help finding out your gearbox model. if you have any transmission/clutch problems currently, that may immediately disqualify it from being bolted on a higher-torque V8. if these problems exist, they should be taken care of before you do an engine swap. a junkyard gearbox may also be a good option for you. i'd recommend joining a silverado forum, where they will have many more members in this area of expertise.
mousepad1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM #4
mousepad1123

F1VENOM has a point, as well...a 350 is a FANTASTIC truck motor. my Suburban has a 350 with 1250k on it...and it purrs like a kitten. your truck may be a little light in the @$$ to have a stroker in there.
EDIT: 250k*
mousepad1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:17 PM #5
hunter2013

I'd have to agree I'd love to have the 383 but it doesn't seem practical you k ow your only young and dumb for a little while before it gets old, I'll look into the gearbox numbers aswell I bought my truck used so the owners manuals weren't included in the purchase it was a farm truck so I'm
Lucky it has airbags anymore, I'll ask my old man he'd know or even my uncle if I can't find it myself
hunter2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 PM #6
Kenny_McCormick

Sell it and buy a 4.8 or 5.3 powered truck. The LS motor is way better than the SBC. Your 5 speed wont hold a V8, or they would have offered it with the V8. It might work, but not for long.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM #7
evil dutch

It's a whole lot of work to go back to the SBC from that style of motor. Think about all the electronic differences. The 5 speed will work, but it won't like you. Try find a 5.3 or 6.0 liter if you want to throw a V8 in it.

"Originally posted by I'm inebriated: Vinny are you working in bham? You and shawty should totally Eiffel tower his wife if so."
evil dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 PM #8
Disarmer
Gig 'em

Disarmer helped look for balloons
Disarmer is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Disarmer has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Disarmer is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Also you won't pass inspection if you go from EFI to a carb'd engine. (Unless its a non-inspection state)
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote