Community Focus

Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 PM #1
espin679

espin679 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
espin679 posts videos on PbNation
espin679 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
espin679 is attending Decay of Nations VI
why paintball doesnt get big...

i started my first day at my second job yesterday and i told my new boss about my new gear. apparently he played for a few teams across the years and loves the sport and hasnt gone in awhile... we are going Sunday together. anyway, we discussed why paintball isnt as big as it should be. I thought his answer was genius. in basket ball, you have the ball to watch... in hockey, you have the puck ect ect. in paintball its just pure chaos. why do you guys think paintball hasnt gotten that big? i feel it should be in the Olympics haha
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 PM #2
WILLIAMS#22
FIRSTSTRIKE PAINTBALL

WILLIAMS#22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
WILLIAMS#22 supports Team VICIOUS
WILLIAMS#22 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by espin679 View Post
i started my first day at my second job yesterday and i told my new boss about my new gear. apparently he played for a few teams across the years and loves the sport and hasnt gone in awhile... we are going Sunday together. anyway, we discussed why paintball isnt as big as it should be. I thought his answer was genius. in basket ball, you have the ball to watch... in hockey, you have the puck ect ect. in paintball its just pure chaos. why do you guys think paintball hasnt gotten that big? i feel it should be in the Olympics haha
Yea I thinks its not big because there isnt one thing to focus on (baseball,football) like u said . To someone who has never watched or played paintball its very confuseing to them. Alot of people dont give paintball playes credit it takes alot of physical work and dedication to be real good. Paintball should be in the olymphics no doubt , they have bagmitten for godsake lol.
┃┗━┛┗━━┻┻┻┻━━┻┻┻┫
┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
WILLIAMS#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:28 PM #3
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAMS#22 View Post
Paintball should be in the olymphics no doubt , they have bagmitten for godsake lol.
You mean BADMINTON? Yeah.

IMO the reason paintball isn't huge yet is because of two things.

1: Milsim. The first thing the layperson thinks when they hear "paintball" is a bunch of guys who think they're in the military running around shooting "bullets" and getting "kills" with their "real guns". That description sounds lame even to seasoned paintball players, think of what the general public must think of us.

2: The majority of people in paintball are younger (13-mid 20's) and as such, there's a lot of idiots and mooks in the crowd that make the more intelligent players seem very rare indeed.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM #4
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Paintball not making the Olympics isn't due to peoples ages or milsim. There are certain requirements for any sport to be considered for the Olympics. We meet them all save for one very big, very important one.
We must be sanctioned by one International Sport Federation.
We don't have that. We have a bunch of separate leagues and even more players/people that refuse to agree with a merger of the leagues.

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM #5
GhostJedai
I push buttons

Annual Supporting Member
GhostJedai is BST Trusted
GhostJedai has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
GhostJedai is attending Decay of Nations VII
GhostJedai supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Paintball not making the Olympics isn't due to peoples ages or milsim. There are certain requirements for any sport to be considered for the Olympics. We meet them all save for one very big, very important one.
We don't have that. We have a bunch of separate leagues and even more players/people that refuse to agree with a merger of the leagues.
Hmmm, so who wants to start an International Paintball Federation?

To add my thoughts to this discussion: Paintball has a very limited market, and after the global financial collapse, much of that market disappeared or dwindled to what it is, now (evidenced by how many of the major manufacturers are left).

While, yes, other sports have one or two items to focus on, that isn't the driving factor. Much of the confusion can be cleared up by "Those guys are trying to get those other guys out by hitting them with paintballs," and vice-versa.

It's true, when people think about "paintball" they think recball, whereas most people want to see speedball in the Olympics. So, the solution, I guess, is to start that International Paintball Federation, Association, etc.
Christ Krew #17

GhostJedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:08 PM #6
DevilMayCare
Ultra-Violent

DevilMayCare is a Supporting Member
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintball is boring to watch and expensive to play.

"I will rule with an Iron fist and weed out the people not worthy" -kai83

DevilMayCare's Feedback
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM #7
FoidPoosening
www.ArmoryPaintball.com

Annual Supporting Member
FoidPoosening donated to help Peyton Trent
FoidPoosening is playing at Living Legends VI
FoidPoosening supports Bob Gurnsey
FoidPoosening supports our troops
FoidPoosening has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
FoidPoosening is Legendary
FoidPoosening is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
But speedwalking, air rifle, team pursuit, and curling do. We are doing something wrong.

Also, if Pb ever does make it to olympics, my vote is for 3v3 games. with 5-7 players on the field in other leagues its just too busy and too much to follow.

Some people argue "who would want to see the US vs Iran shooting each other in paintball"... well... who want's to see the US vs. Iran in a sword fight (fencing)? Shouldn't be an issue.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM #8
espin679

espin679 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
espin679 posts videos on PbNation
espin679 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
espin679 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
Paintball is boring to watch and expensive to play.
i watch paintball all the time on youtube. Socialpaintball is doing great things...
i find the 2 hours tourney videos to be awesome
Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM #9
Box
Wroooaaarrrr!

Annual Supporting Member
Box is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by espin679 View Post
i watch paintball all the time on youtube. Socialpaintball is doing great things...
i find the 2 hours tourney videos to be awesome
Alas, you are involved in the sport. As players, we do not represent the majority of the viewing audience for national television. DevilMayCare, while blunt, is correct.

Paintball takes a lot of effort to film properly, and most people do not understand the object of the game. In combonation, these things make paintball confusing and thus uninteresting to a casual viewer. The casual viewers disinterest hurts the potential of the sport being recognized legitimately at a national level.

Paintball also does tend to be an expensive hobby for most people, or rather percieved as an expensive one, limiting the growth of the sport at a recreational and local level.

It would be great to see paintball expand, but to do it on a large scale will be an expensive gamble for any company willing to invest in it.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM #10
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoidPoosening

But speedwalking, air rifle, team pursuit, and curling do. We are doing something wrong.
Damn shame on our side ain't it lol

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 AM #11
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I love paintball and all, but don't we think aiming for the Olympics is a bit of a stretch? Maybe the x-games first. Comparing paintball to such an established sport as fencing is outlandish, not sport wise but in its existence. Fencing has been around for centuries, paintball for decades under the radar. Put it in the x-games as a country based sport to make it easily transferable to the Olympics and then we can talk.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM #12
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippin35
I love paintball and all, but don't we think aiming for the Olympics is a bit of a stretch? Maybe the x-games first. Comparing paintball to such an established sport as fencing is outlandish, not sport wise but in its existence. Fencing has been around for centuries, paintball for decades under the radar. Put it in the x-games as a country based sport to make it easily transferable to the Olympics and then we can talk.
I agree. First thing we need to work on is one unified league. Not so much for Olympic purposes but for the sport to truly be respected mainstream. History shows that sports excel when they merge into one singular league. And we are kidding ourselves if we think outside companies don't notice the league vs league, format vs format, style vs style strife we already have

Last edited by Soul06 : 08-15-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:36 PM #13
turnburglar
Mr. "iminitforthecheck"

turnburglar owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
There absolutely DOES NOT need to be a singular point of focus. Reference : NASCAR. Most NASCAR fans are VERY loyal to one driver. When watching a race on TV they might catch a glimpse of their driver every couple of minutes, unless of course he is in the lead, but with 39 other cars he probably isn't. Golf is the same way. People have their favorite golfer but you don't watch exclusively him. There are a few other sports like this aswell.

Someone said it earlier and they are right. Paintball has a poor public image. Most people think of survivalist dudes running around the forest in face paint. Totally lame when you have xball on the other side of the coin.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM #14
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
There absolutely DOES NOT need to be a singular point of focus. Reference : NASCAR. Most NASCAR fans are VERY loyal to one driver. When watching a race on TV they might catch a glimpse of their driver every couple of minutes, unless of course he is in the lead, but with 39 other cars he probably isn't. Golf is the same way. People have their favorite golfer but you don't watch exclusively him. There are a few other sports like this aswell.

Someone said it earlier and they are right. Paintball has a poor public image. Most people think of survivalist dudes running around the forest in face paint. Totally lame when you have xball on the other side of the coin.
But ultimately, the focus of Nascar is on the success of that ONE car. In golf the game focuses around the ONE ball. People can focus on ONE thing at a time, they may look around but the focal point is what happens with that ONE object. This does not carry over to paintball, you can not watch one ball, one gun, one player, even one flag since 9/10 times when the flag is pulled the game is over. Similar to your point, there is no ONE thing wrong with paintball in the sense of it being a spectator sport. There are many facets that lead to it remaining underground, none of which are any easier to change than the next. There are however staring points, unifying our leagues, changing our image, working on a focal point, are all ideas and things to work on but there is no one thing that if we can magically tighten up the skates and change, will result in paintball being on the NBC Sports Network.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM #15
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

I understand what you are saying but that was a poor example. Fans can focus on their favorite while they are at the event but when it comes to television you can only watch what the camera is showing you. If I want to watch Jeff Gordon but he is trailing badly and thus not on camera then I can't watch him. More than that they tend to focus on the leaders in the race and glance over to the stars that are trailing.
Similar for golf. Many players in golf but you only view whomever the camera is showing. And remember they aren't all shooting at the same time.

Now when it comes to paintball you are talking about simultaneous, fastpaced action. There is no trailers or leaders to focus on like a race and unlike golf, peopl aren't taking turns. This makes it much harder a sport to televise

Old 08-16-2012, 01:44 PM #16
bryanzero858

Annual Supporting Member
paintball access is workin on a way to portray paintball to the layman on their psp broadcasts. I think its a great step in the right direction.
the commercials are better than they were with smart parts league too (imo)
bryanzero858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM #17
kamdog211

Give it another five to ten years. When I started skateboarding a long time ago we were considered thugs. But damn, look at how popular and successful it has become over time. Some offense guys make crazy money.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 PM #18
Ball_Buster_A-5

The "focal" point would be the team you are going for or the players on said team. you watch as players from "your" team get eliminated and make eliminations focus on the players
Ball_Buster_A-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 AM #19
Soul06

Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball_Buster_A-5
The "focal" point would be the team you are going for or the players on said team. you watch as players from "your" team get eliminated and make eliminations focus on the players
We are talking about it being televised. Not people sitting I the stands. You can only focus on whatever the camera shows you

Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 AM #20
papo0918
Blaze

papo0918 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
papo0918 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Someone needs to reach out to ESPN. If enough people do maybe they'd get more involved hence pb would be more mainstream. At least make it an X game.
papo0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM #21
cptnemo66

Annual Supporting Member
cptnemo66 is BST Trusted
cptnemo66 is playing at Living Legends VII
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cptnemo66 is attending Decay of Nations VI
cptnemo66 supports Empire
The big problem is paintball is hard to watch on TV for the lay person. I used to watch it on ESPN2 or what ever sports channel it was at like 2am. It goes like this..... huddle at the start.... bunch of guys run out....said guys hide behind stuff.....guys start shooting.... guys start walking off the field for no appearnt reason. I know they got shot but you dont see that on TV. So the person that dont know paintball it is very hard to follow. If there was a way to put a tracer on the paintballs it would be much easier to watch, see the shooting lanes, who is targeting who...ect. Kinda like how Fox sports put the tail on the puck for hockey slapshots so you could follow the action better.
cptnemo66 is offline   Reply With Quote