Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM #1
SqualeGanouche

Thinking about upgrading to a new tippmann!?

Hey forum, new to pbnation and glad to be here!
Well I have a tippmann 98 custom with several upgrades; cyclone feed, response trigger, remote line, 12" lapco bigshot, apex 2, tippmann stock, and other upgrades but the dnt mess with performance.
So my question is, would upgrading to a better tippmann be a great improvement or is what I have just as good with all the upgrades?

I should mention I play mainly rec and woodsball and I will be running off CO2. I'm open to all suggestion and comments Sen aside from tippmann products!

Thanks!
SqualeGanouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM #2
Jedihippie
My backpack's got jets

Annual Supporting Member
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VI
Jedihippie is playing at Living Legends VII
Jedihippie has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jedihippie has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Jedihippie has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
IMO, keep what you have. If youve made it suit you and youre good with it and have no issues with it, keep it.

$0.02
Jedihippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:06 PM #3
xxerexx
GIR

The only tippmann you should consider is the phenom (or crossover if interested in the style). If you do the main two benefits will be air efficiency and better shot to shot consistency. If those don't matter to you then don't worry about it.
xxerexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:05 PM #4
SqualeGanouche

those are appealing but for another 400 bucks not so much. Doesn't my remote line help a little with shot consistency?
SqualeGanouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 AM #5
Vswizzle (Banned)

Vswizzle owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Vswizzle is for the Gunfight
Vswizzle has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Vswizzle has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
why would you go from one tippmann to another
not much of an upgrade mang.
Vswizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM #6
SqualeGanouche

Well I see it like this, I mainly play woods ball and in the rain sometimes so I need a gun that can handle it. And on top of that I have to use co2 cause s no plce to fill air. The crossover and X-ray Phenom seem like the best choices for me.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 AM #7
Thompsonshooter
Maker of fine custom guns

has been a member for 10 years
Thompsonshooter works for a Paintball manufacturer
Thompsonshooter supports Bob Gurnsey
I agree if you upgrade at all the crossover or phenom are the way to go.
Making Custom Paintball Guns Since 1999
http://www.englerpaintballguns.com
Thompsonshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 AM #8
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I wouldn't upgrade to another Tippmann, but as you are running CO2, that leaves you with a fairly narrow field of markers that are good but aren't amazing. The Phenom and the Crossover are probably your best bet. Personally, I hate the 98C. Excellent beginner gun, don't get me wrong, and fairly consistent, however the appearance, air efficiency, and user-friendliness are probably the worst I've seen. Yes, I have owned a 98C, before you go flaming me, and I finally just said screw it and sold it.
I think the Crossover and the Phenom are your best options. The Crossover will be your speedball-oriented marker while the Phenom will be more of a milsim gun. If you really want to, go with the A5. That's what I own as my ol' reliable paint flinger if my 'Cocker goes down or I just want a change of pace. With a bit of tuning (same with the 98C) you can get it consistent. I have a crapload of internal and external upgrades on it just to make it a little easier to use, better on air, and more consistent. Do what your needs dictate!
Noah

CSU Rams Paintball

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 PM #9
Bigjoe11
"The Boss"

Bigjoe11 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Bigjoe11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bigjoe11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bigjoe11 supports DLX Technology
Instead of upgrading guns, you could upgrade to hpa, that would help much more.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 PM #10
DarkShadowHunter
Screwball, One Each

DarkShadowHunter supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
I wouldn't upgrade to another Tippmann, but as you are running CO2, that leaves you with a fairly narrow field of markers that are good but aren't amazing. The Phenom and the Crossover are probably your best bet. Personally, I hate the 98C. Excellent beginner gun, don't get me wrong, and fairly consistent, however the appearance, air efficiency, and user-friendliness are probably the worst I've seen. Yes, I have owned a 98C, before you go flaming me, and I finally just said screw it and sold it.
I think the Crossover and the Phenom are your best options. The Crossover will be your speedball-oriented marker while the Phenom will be more of a milsim gun. If you really want to, go with the A5. That's what I own as my ol' reliable paint flinger if my 'Cocker goes down or I just want a change of pace. With a bit of tuning (same with the 98C) you can get it consistent. I have a crapload of internal and external upgrades on it just to make it a little easier to use, better on air, and more consistent. Do what your needs dictate!
Noah
With the way his 98 is set up, he basically has an A5 already. He just has to unscrew six bolts instead of popping three push pins to get the internals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoe11 View Post
Instead of upgrading guns, you could upgrade to hpa, that would help much more.
The OP stated he doesn't have HPA fills readily available in his area. Unless he is willing to invest in a couple SCUBA tanks and a fill adapter that really won't be a viable option for him

SqualeGanouche, if you are not opposed to buying used equipment you can probably find a good price on a Phenom in the B/S/T section. If used Crossovers haven't hit the B/S/T yet they will within a couple months.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 AM #11
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
Youre basically in the same boat as me, I have no place near me to fill HPA and only have CO2.

If you want to upgrade, go Phenom. Its your only real option. You also have the Crossover, but if you dont do a lot of speedball its not really worth the extra $50.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM #12
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
I'd keep what you have...

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM #13
SqualeGanouche

thanks for all the input guys! I probably will stick with what have for awhile since upgrading from what i got to something that will still run on co2 is not a big difference.

I still like the idea of of a phenom or crossover in the future though, just wish hpa was easier to get a hold of in my area!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 PM #14
Guy In Digi Camo

Guy In Digi Camo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
After owning several tippmanns i would say stick with what you got until you move to some place where fills are available or they get some close to you, scuba shops can sometimes fill your tanks if there is one in your area.

Most electronic markers are pretty moisture and rain resistant, ive dove into puddles and mud with my ego 7 and had nothing bad come of it other than a long cleaning. as long as your not submerging it in water any marker will be fine.
Guy In Digi Camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM #15
kmauzy

kmauzy is playing at Living Legends VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqualeGanouche View Post
Hey forum, new to pbnation and glad to be here!
Well I have a tippmann 98 custom with several upgrades; cyclone feed, response trigger, remote line, 12" lapco bigshot, apex 2, tippmann stock, and other upgrades but the dnt mess with performance.
So my question is, would upgrading to a better tippmann be a great improvement or is what I have just as good with all the upgrades?

I should mention I play mainly rec and woodsball and I will be running off CO2. I'm open to all suggestion and comments Sen aside from tippmann products!

Thanks!
First I don't know if anyone has told you, But you should not use CO2 with a response trigger. It tells you that when you install it. The CO2 will freeze the O-ring in it. Check out some HPA tanks Tippmann just came out with one this year. You can get a 3000/68 for about 40. that will help in many ways. Also look at TechT for some upgrades for bolts and barrel kits they make some great stuff. Tell them the Outdoorsmen sent you and you may get a discount. Good luck
Outdoorsmenpaintball.org

http://Rockstartactical.com

http://TechTpaintball.com
kmauzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM #16
Rubbr Chickin
Professional Eye Poker

Rubbr Chickin is playing at Living Legends VI
Rubbr Chickin supports Empire
You can run an RT off CO2 just fine.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:15 AM #17
RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye is playing at Living Legends VII
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxerexx View Post
The only tippmann you should consider is the phenom (or crossover if interested in the style). If you do the main two benefits will be air efficiency and better shot to shot consistency. If those don't matter to you then don't worry about it.
I bought the x7, not phenom, and I like how it shoots better then the new version. If you can find an older X7, I say to that route.

**I forgot to update this, I had to return of the x7 I got because it had major air leaks. Last time I buy on ebay**

Last edited by RubinOnRye : 01-24-2013 at 12:53 PM.
RubinOnRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:46 PM #18
Lemi Died

you -can- run a response with co2. In short bursts. a little at a time.

I have a crossover and love it, but IF you want to use it with CO2, a remote line is required (per Tippmann manual). Keep that in mind. Personally, my Crossover will NEVER touch co2, I have my 98's for that. I personally don't see an advantage unless you go HPA, then Crossover FTW.
Live in or around Central Alabama and want to run with a group of people to scenario and recreational games? Want a solid group of players interested in playing the game? We are The Conglomerate, a new group designed to bring people together to play. Whether it is just yourself or a group, for one game or many, contact us for info!
Lemi Died is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM #19
autocockerfreak227

autocockerfreak227 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ill tell you this dont go with a tippman but go with a empire trracer pump.I dont know if ur into pump but for 125 its a great and durable pump and a good starter pump as well. It runs off of co2 pretty efficiantly and is very easily upgradeable DONT GO WITH ANOTHER TIPPMAN AND DONT BUY THE SL68II
autocockerfreak227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:20 PM #20
Variety Army

Tippman Paintball Guns

http://varietyarmy.com/index.php?opt...id=97&TreeId=7
^ Here are more options guys. If you guys ever have questions feel free to ask and we will answer. Our company has been in the business for approximately 40 years, so don't hesitate to respond, we are willing to help.
Variety Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM #21
T-SOR

I vote automag. The old classic valves run great on co2.