PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-10-2012, 02:35 PM #1
Tuff
Supports 2nd Amendment

Tuff is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Jim Jones, David Koresh - the dangers of religion and the 1st Amendment?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jones

Jim Jones is the founder of the People's Temple back in the 70's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Koresh

Branch Davidians split off, Koresh was the prophet.

With stuff like this, how is it that people actually buy into what these guys are selling? How dumb do you have to be, to buy that crap? Does anyone consider any religions like Jehova's, Mormons, Scientology, Raelian movement (newer religions) to be a cult or something along these lines? Jim Jones was responsible of course for the mass suicides in "Jonestown" after preaching how the governement was trying to control them, coming to get them, etc while Koresh was fathering babies and raping kids as this prophet people actually believed in, only to see people torched and burned in the end.

Regarding Jones:

"On December 13, 1973, Jones was arrested and charged with soliciting a man for sex in a movie theater bathroom known for homosexual activity, in MacArthur Park in Los Angeles.The man was an undercover Los Angeles Police Department vice officer. Jones is on record as later telling his followers that he was "the only true heterosexual", but at least one account exists of his sexual abuse of a male member of his congregation in front of the followers, ostensibly to prove the man's own homosexual tendencies.

While Jones banned sex among Temple members outside of marriage, he himself voraciously engaged in sexual relations with both male and female Temple members. Jones, however, claimed that he detested engaging in homosexual activity and did so only for the male temple adherents' own good, purportedly to connect them symbolically with him"

Wow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_K...atut ory_rape

"A careful examination of the other child abuse charges found the evidence to be weak and ambiguous, casting doubt on the allegations.

The allegations of child abuse stem largely from detractors and ex-members. The 1993 U.S. Department of Justice report cites allegations of child sexual and physical abuse. But despite the merits of the charges, legal scholars point out that the ATF had no legal jurisdiction in the matter of child protection and it appears that these accounts were inserted by the ATF to inflame the case against Koresh. For example, the account of former Branch Davidian Jeannine Bunds is reproduced in the affidavit. She claimed that Koresh had fathered at least fifteen children with various women and that she had personally delivered seven of these children"

See things like "jurisdiction" should almost fly out the window when questions of something like this are going on. Does the 1st Amendment create dangers in this country for religious heretics such as these guys to accomplish things like this? Freedom of Speech and Religion allows men like this, to say what they want and as result, large amounts of death.

Should the government consider stepping in more quickly on situations such as this, even in the event it would appear to breach one's First Amendment rights? A modern day equivalent of this, is the supposed "Freedom of Religion" protection granted to those who want to pray in Mosques, when there have been ties of terrorism planned inside them.

http://www.militantislammonitor.org/article/id/375

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...eper-cells.htm

Does the First Amendment grant too much power? Does it set us up for failure at times?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2012, 02:36 PM #2
F1VENOM

A better education system would solve this problem.

"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 PM #3
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
I would like to see the tax exempt rule either abolished or radically changed at the least. That's all I really want to input here.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:53 PM #4
Swerve22

Looks like that Jim Jones guy was a dangerous homosexual.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM #5
F1VENOM

Quote:
While Jones banned sex among Temple members outside of marriage, he himself voraciously engaged in sexual relations with both male and female Temple members. Jones, however, claimed that he detested engaging in homosexual activity and did so only for the male temple adherents' own good, purportedly to connect them symbolically with him"
Sounds like he could have been a Catholic priest.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:49 PM #6
corporationpaintball
too legit to quit

Annual Supporting Member
corporationpaintball is a Moderator
corporationpaintball is BST Legit
corporationpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
corporationpaintball supports our troops
corporationpaintball is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
corporationpaintball is Boss
Great topic, because it walks such a fine line I'll leave it in Politics for now. If it ends up focusing more on religion I'll move it to Religion.

Old Feedback (+20/-0) | New Feedback (+37/-0)
Annual Supporting Member Council Elite
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote