Community Focus

Old 08-03-2012, 01:06 PM #1
blitz121

blitz121 helped look for balloons
blitz121 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
blitz121 supports Sherwood Forest
blitz121 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
So my roomate is getting a vizsla

Just wondering how hard it is to keep a pup like that should be 8 weeks when they get him. Just wondering opinions on that.

XTC social crew
Elite Sports
Elite Sports Complex
blitz121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 AM #2
comom

Everyone I know who has Vizslas say they have a ton more energy than the other Sporting breeds. You'll also have the typical "puppy issues" to deal with- housebreaking, teething, training, etc. Best advice I can give you and your roomate is to do research on the breed, crate the puppy when it can't be supervised, and sign up for training classes. Hopefully the puppy's breeder will be a source of support and information, too.
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:47 AM #3
TheRedButton

TheRedButton owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by comom View Post
Everyone I know who has Vizslas say they have a ton more energy than the other Sporting breeds. You'll also have the typical "puppy issues" to deal with- housebreaking, teething, training, etc. Best advice I can give you and your roomate is to do research on the breed, crate the puppy when it can't be supervised, and sign up for training classes. Hopefully the puppy's breeder will be a source of support and information, too.
nailed it.

also, he should just adopt an older one instead.

Cory Persson Fan #1
TheRedButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 AM #4
dmartin336

Vizslas are the most loving, gentle and sensitive of all dogs! They are super hunters- the reason my husband bought our Natasha Rose. They are goregous and regal- the reason I am showing her. They are called velcro-dogs for a reason- they love to be in your company, playing and running all day...which means if the dog is alone and has nothing to do it will certainly find something that will most likely get it into trouble. They are SUPER HIGH in energy and need to run their willies out -- multiple times daily. They are also VERY sensitive to any strong scolding or worse yet any abusive reprimanding in any way which can quickly destroy their loving, happy attitude. We have our V in our large apartment and learned (after the fact) that crating is important when your attention is not fully on the dog... also good/required training for showing our dog. We have had to repair wall corners and table legs due to her boredom and teething. Because of our city apartment location, we have someone take her to a doggy-day care in country in the mornings to run off-leash and play. The reputable Vizsla Breeders are very eager to assure their babies are sent home to well educated owners....or they won't be sold... Make certain your roomie maintains that contact! I speak to my breeder practically everyday. You may visit our V's website to learn about our adventures with Natasha Rose, history of the V, health issues to be aware of, traveling with a dog and many other aspects of being a dog owner: http://vizslanatasharose.blogspot.com/
dmartin336 is offline   Reply With Quote