Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-06-2012, 11:35 PM #1
Realygoofyguy

favorite things

What are your favorite things about on a recreational level? What are your least favorite things? What do you look for in a good field indoor or outdoor?

Last edited by Realygoofyguy : 07-06-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Realygoofyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:20 AM #2
SilverViper

SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Favorite things: I love the slightly laxed feel of rec ball. Sometimes it's nice to just go out there with friends and have some fun. I love picking snap shooting contests, especially if team mates are on the other side. I also love to try ballsy moves during rec play. I love taking a couple of newbie friends out and seeing them have a blast and come back the next week.

Least favorite things: Definitely Agglets. Agglets ruin open play. I cannot stand people taking rec play ultra seriously against rentals, kids, and first time noobies. Wiping during rec play or playing on is just stupid. Also, kids who ramp and go full auto to show off their gear. It's infuriating. "I can shoot 25 bps against kids with tippmans because mom and dad pay for me."

Good field:

+should be nearby
+should have friendly players!
+should have good refs and management <<<<<most important thing
+should have decent prices
+should have playable fields that you will have fun playing at(if you like scenario, they should have fortresses and such, if you like speedball, they should have an airball field.

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:35 AM #3
Dead Captain

It's a great rush, honestly. Hearing the paint splatter against your bunker, specially if you get a look at the guy who is shooting at you...it's just a great feeling. Least favorite thing is probably the wait between games, especially if you get tagged early. A good field for me is pretty simple, good management and good prices. Being known definitely helps, too.
Dead Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:33 AM #4
Realygoofyguy

Thanks guys, the reason I ask is, I work at a field in Wisconsin and I'm trying to see what people want in a field, what the most important things are and what we need to work on as a group, and figure, since rec ball players are the majority of players right now that we should take your opinions into consideration.

If you have any suggestions please speak up and let me know. It is an indoor field, we have a mil sim field (inflatable bunkers, tanks, castles etc) and a PSP field, we switch them out depending on the day. So let us know what would make you guys want to come out to play.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 AM #5
SamusAran

I really am not a fan of the inflatable bunkers, although I can admit I've only played on one of those fields a handful of time. I like playing in the woods better, and more permanent structures (like makeshift houses with plywood) I think make for a better playing experience.
SamusAran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 AM #6
loneassassin
A Grim and...

To me, the thing that really separates recreational play from tournament-oriented play is that people are simply there to have fun. Nobody is concerned about "practicing" or "working on drills" for the next event. They are concerned only about the game at hand; right NOW. This does not mean that the level of playing is relaxed or not serious. Some of the most intense rec moments I've experienced have overshadowed even the most competitive tournaments I've played.

I also like that in rec ball, you can usually show up and teams will be made on the spot, and if they're not fair, people are usually okay with switching it up until it's an even match. In tourney-oriented play, it's always a "scrimmage" in which teams have to play together so they can practice working together. There's little or no room for the guy (haha -- ME in this case) who just wants to walk on and play some competitive 'ball.

All of that said, there is still cheating present in recball. Which is just ridiculous. However, in the rec setting, I've always been able to adjust my playing style to deal with the cheaters (if one ball doesn't count, then 8 to the mask certainly will). Playing against tourney regulars, it's a little tougher to deal with -- they tend to be more skilled and when they are talented AND cheat, there's little I can do. I refuse to join that mentality.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 AM #7
Realygoofyguy

I agree, actually, with the need for good reffing and equal teams. this is something we aim for at all times. I also am a big fan of taking two players and doing the gym class style team picking. Players seem to really enjoy that.

As far as the inflatable bunkers go, I understand the want of more "realistic" objects on the field when playing woodsball and milsim. But we do have some amazingly cool inflatable mil sim bunkers, we have a really cool log cabin, and two inflatable castles with window slits to shoot through. We also have walls that we turn into little houses and such. The inflatables are just easier to keep clean on the indoor field, and they make changing over to the PSP set up easier (already a process that takes several hours). We take pride in how clean we keep the turf and bunkers so being able to move them to clean up the paint generally makes the field a lot nicer to play on. The fact that at the beginning of every day the field looks as though no one has ever played on it before is something we strive for.

So I am getting good reffing, creative field set ups, good competition and division of teams so far.

What else? Are you guys interested in a solid pro shop? Knowledgable staff, both in product knowledge and game knowledge? Are these overrated or do you think they add to your playing experience?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 AM #8
SamusAran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realygoofyguy View Post
As far as the inflatable bunkers go, I understand the want of more "realistic" objects on the field when playing woodsball and milsim. But we do have some amazingly cool inflatable mil sim bunkers, we have a really cool log cabin, and two inflatable castles with window slits to shoot through. We also have walls that we turn into little houses and such. The inflatables are just easier to keep clean on the indoor field, and they make changing over to the PSP set up easier (already a process that takes several hours). We take pride in how clean we keep the turf and bunkers so being able to move them to clean up the paint generally makes the field a lot nicer to play on. The fact that at the beginning of every day the field looks as though no one has ever played on it before is something we strive for.
Cool! I just don't like the fluorescent colored bunkers. Don't know why. I'm not even really into milsim, but I do like the look of "realistic" bunkers.

Quote:
What else? Are you guys interested in a solid pro shop? Knowledgable staff, both in product knowledge and game knowledge? Are these overrated or do you think they add to your playing experience?
Of course!
SamusAran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM #9
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Favorite things about rec play:
- creative, imaginative and/or elaborate fields
- No registration fees or politics. Just play for the love of it

Least Favorite Things:
- fields that are poorly put together (cheap small bunkers, etc)
- fields that charge high prices but offer little

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 PM #10
dylan5394

i put the pro in proshop
dylan5394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM #11
Realygoofyguy

Thank you guys for all of the insight, I appreciate it. If anyone else has any other good ideas please let me know.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM #12
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
To me, the thing that really separates recreational play from tournament-oriented play is that people are simply there to have fun. Nobody is concerned about "practicing" or "working on drills" for the next event. They are concerned only about the game at hand; right NOW. This does not mean that the level of playing is relaxed or not serious. Some of the most intense rec moments I've experienced have overshadowed even the most competitive tournaments I've played.
I've had great moments in both tournament and rec play. Some of the rec moments have been against opponents just as skilled as tournament players (often they are tournament players playing rec), so they can be just as intense. The big difference though is when in a tournament and you're up against that player, there is that "I HAVE to get this guy before he gets me" feeling. When against the same players on a rec field, it's more of an "I'm going to try hard and I HOPE I get this player before he gets me" feeling. That makes all the difference as it is much less stressful. I think most people feel the same way and why you can play rec paintball with and against most experienced tourney players, but still come out of it in a relaxed mood at the the end of the day.

I think when working at a recreational field, this is something you need to keep in mind and be watching for. There are some people who can't seem to separate serious competitive play from recreational play. Those people need to be pulled off to the side and be spoken to. Worst case scenario, you need to keep them away from the field if they can't grasp the difference.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:44 AM #13
SilverViper

SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you are coming at it from a field owner's perspective then I would like to reiterate the importance of good reffing. I've played at probably around 10 different official fields and a couple more thrown together ranging from big tournaments, small tournaments to open play with tons of rec players. The amount of fun everyone has is usually dependent on how honest, fair, and helpful the refs are. The next important thing would be the general friendliness of the regulars, but I've found that where there are good refs/management there are good regulars. We just had a bachelor party at Asylum in Kentucky. The place was awesome! I mean they had some really, really cool rec and speedball fields. But the reffing and regulars were absolute **** and in the end we would have had way more fun at a lesser field with better staff.

A rundown of what a good ref should do:
Their primary goals are for A) Everyone to be safe AND B) Everyone to have fun!
+ Make sure everyone knows safety and rules of game
+ Make sure teams are even(a lot of refs will have speedball players lower their rate of fire to compensate if other players will be intimidated)
+ Give tips to new players to help them along
+ Help hit players out of their bunkers(Say "LET HIM OUT" if they are still shooting at a hit player's bunker).
+ Actively check for paint checks if called
+ Actively viewing and reffing the match( a lot of refs simply sit passively on the sidelines).
+ Punishing bad behavior(Is someone overshooting, wiping, playing on, taking off their mask? Sit them out for a game or two)

I've seen a lot of indoor fields run team practices or winter leagues for speedball during the winter. Their choices are limited so it may be a good way to keep business up in the winter.

Proshops: I have no idea how profitable they are, if at all. As a player, they can be nice to try on gear or for last second fixes. I would say that they aren't necessary to draw players. A lot of the nicer fields tend to have proshops attached.

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM #14
DB-1071
ON THE SIDE OF ANGELS!!!!

DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends V
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VI
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VII
DB-1071 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
DB-1071 is a top reviewer
Good things:
Players thinking just because I'm black I don't know how to play, but then finding out the hard way that I can lol.
Players thinking just because I shoot Angels I'm going to be an easy out then getting pissed that my old Angels shoot just fast as their 1 year old markers.
That 90-95% of the players and staff at NVP are just so cool with people of different color playing rec-ball!!
Having 3 indoor fields in my city.

The bad:

Racist paintball players that blow their tops when a black player shoots them out.

PBNation definition from Urban Dictionary:
A web site where, on any given evening, one may find approximately 500 paintball enthusiasts discussing the sport, and 1500 teenagers calling each other gay.

GO ON, I DARE YOU!! GO ON I DARE YOU, AGAIN!!!
" Physician heal thyself!! " The War Doctor
DB-1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM #15
CVeaglespaintball
NYU '17

CVeaglespaintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CVeaglespaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
CVeaglespaintball supports Empire
Favorite things:
Being able to take a break from practices/tournies and just play
Hanging out with friends and meeting new ones
Pump play <3
Banzi charges that always end painfully
Swapping stories at the end of the day

Least Favorite:
People who take recball way to seriously. I play to win, but I don't rage if I lose
Cheating. **** dat ****
Complaining/talking **** during breaks
Basically, people who don't understand that rec=/=tournament

A good field should have a variety of fields, from airball, to concept fields, to pure woods. Good refs are a must. For me 4500 psi fills are a must too, but probably not to the average recballer. A clean, professional looking staging area/proshot is a huge plus, but I've been to some sketchy fields that ended up being a ton of fun. Finally, a good field needs fair prices and quality paint.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 PM #16
gmiang (Banned)

Thanks for the nice post. Your post just made my day.
Computer Articles
It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.
Business Directory
This is a nice post in an interesting line of content.
gmiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM #17
DB-1071
ON THE SIDE OF ANGELS!!!!

DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends V
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VI
DB-1071 is playing at Living Legends VII
DB-1071 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
DB-1071 is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVeaglespaintball View Post
Favorite things:
Being able to take a break from practices/tournies and just play
Hanging out with friends and meeting new ones
Pump play <3
Banzi charges that always end painfully
Swapping stories at the end of the day

Least Favorite:
People who take recball way to seriously. I play to win, but I don't rage if I lose
Cheating. **** dat ****
Complaining/talking **** during breaks
Basically, people who don't understand that rec=/=tournament

A good field should have a variety of fields, from airball, to concept fields, to pure woods. Good refs are a must. For me 4500 psi fills are a must too, but probably not to the average recballer. A clean, professional looking staging area/proshot is a huge plus, but I've been to some sketchy fields that ended up being a ton of fun. Finally, a good field needs fair prices and quality paint.
Well said!

PBNation definition from Urban Dictionary:
A web site where, on any given evening, one may find approximately 500 paintball enthusiasts discussing the sport, and 1500 teenagers calling each other gay.

GO ON, I DARE YOU!! GO ON I DARE YOU, AGAIN!!!
" Physician heal thyself!! " The War Doctor
DB-1071 is offline   Reply With Quote