PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-30-2012, 11:29 AM #1
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Likely applying for Army OCS l

I'm a senior in college this year and have been talking to a recruiter. I've only been once so far but I have some questions that I'm trying to get some outside opinions on.

My recruiter says that it's hard to get even an interview for OCS because the Army is making a lot of cuts, which is understandable. What is the likelihood of getting into another service? I'm not dedicated to any one in particular. I do have a large tattoo however that is visible with short sleeves but not long ones. My Dad was in the USCG for 28 years, not sure how much that affects any decisions made.

I'm applying for a nursing program (2nd degree, 1.5 years) and was wondering if I got accepted that it would increase my chances of getting in, or if the military would pay for school if I obligated time.

The recruiter seems pretty disinterested but he's saying that I would likely get into the reserves if I attempted to. I honestly would if that were my only shot but I'd prefer active duty in any other service. I feel bad for wasting his time by attempting to get active duty in another service but if that's what I need to do then I'll do it.

I applied for the AF prior to entering college but was never contacted for some time so I just went to school. I received a 98 on my ASVAB but that was over 2 years ago so I need to retake.

Thanks
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM #2
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Are you a minority?
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM #3
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Nope. White male. My dad keeps trying to convince me I'm native american but I can't tell if he's serious or not.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM #4
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
lol

Well, talk to all the branches. Military medicine is pretty much the same across the board. Don't be afraid of doing reserves then hoping on the active train, either.

I think there is some crazy caveat to commissions where your first one is technically reserve, even though you are full timing it. It is weird, and I didn't quite understand it when a few JO friends were failing miserably at describing it.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM #5
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

If I got into the nursing program at my school I'd accept the reserves, especially if they offered any kind of tuition assistance. My degree is in biology so unless I go to grad school I'm not sure what civilian options there are that don't have me being a minimum wage lab rat.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM #6
mavLP
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
lol

Well, talk to all the branches. Military medicine is pretty much the same across the board. Don't be afraid of doing reserves then hoping on the active train, either.

I think there is some crazy caveat to commissions where your first one is technically reserve, even though you are full timing it. It is weird, and I didn't quite understand it when a few JO friends were failing miserably at describing it.
It's probably your first year of training, which you would be there I assume like regular active duty, but you're still technically in the reserves.
mavLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM #7
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Nope, these guys were LT JGs on submarines. Well past their first year.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:59 PM #8
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
It sounds to me like the recruiter you talked to is just being lazy... generally those types don't like doing the busy working of processing external OCS candidates, it is just part of recruiting culture don't take it personally.
The fact is, unless they tell you the program is completely closed, there is no reason why you should not put your name out there. If you are going to be told "no" at least let it come from the interviewing officer or the review board. The recruiting NCOs have absolutely no authority in deciding who gets into what program and quite often have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to placement and availability.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 PM #9
Cima2oo3
USAF 2W051

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
It sounds to me like the recruiter you talked to is just being lazy... generally those types don't like doing the busy working of processing external OCS candidates, it is just part of recruiting culture don't take it personally.
The fact is, unless they tell you the program is completely closed, there is no reason why you should not put your name out there. If you are going to be told "no" at least let it come from the interviewing officer or the review board. The recruiting NCOs have absolutely no authority in deciding who gets into what program and quite often have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to placement and availability.
I don't know how it is for getting into OCS, but I am working on switching to active from reserves, I called one recruiter several times, went to see him in person but was told he'd call me to schedule a time to sit down and go over **** , left messages and never heard back, so I went to talk to a different guy in my area. If you don't feel like your recruiter is working with you go see a different one. Also, talk to all the branches.