Community Focus

Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 PM #1
MVpaintball

MVpaintball is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
MVpaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2 tail-oring'd bolts in Excty

Hey all,
I was wondering if the design of the Extcy's firing can area makes 2 tail-oring bolts(shocktech, newdesignz, techtL6) pointless?
Would the 2 tail-oring bolts still help with efficiency or not?
I ask because I still have my L6, and if there is no point in having 2 tail orings, I'll probably get the newest L7.

Thanks for any help

Up'd Black EGO7, Up'd Ion & Up'd D2 FST

"... how can you sleep, if you're high on crack? Chinese riddle for you!" Tyrone Biggums
MVpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2012, 11:58 AM #2
RogueShooter

The benefit of a dual tail o-ringed bolt is that it mechanically limits your dwell (bolt dwell, not solenoid dwell) to something around 25 ms since the second o-ring shuts off the flow of air coming into the firing can. Don't take the number as gospel, it's been a year or two since I read anything in depth about the physics behind the dual tail o-rings, but it's something like that.

So yes, they can still be beneficial for efficiency, but you can also just drop the dwell on the board for the same effect. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I was running around 25ms with the stock bolt and a QEV in my G1 and it worked just fine. Or get an L7 or Deadlywind Hollowpoint and drop the dwell even more...
GOG/DLX - Valken - QuickShot Paintball - FogDoc.com - TechT - Deadlywind
RogueShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM #3
MVpaintball

MVpaintball is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
MVpaintball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueShooter View Post
The benefit of a dual tail o-ringed bolt is that it mechanically limits your dwell (bolt dwell, not solenoid dwell) to something around 25 ms since the second o-ring shuts off the flow of air coming into the firing can. Don't take the number as gospel, it's been a year or two since I read anything in depth about the physics behind the dual tail o-rings, but it's something like that.

So yes, they can still be beneficial for efficiency, but you can also just drop the dwell on the board for the same effect. It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I was running around 25ms with the stock bolt and a QEV in my G1 and it worked just fine. Or get an L7 or Deadlywind Hollowpoint and drop the dwell even more...
ahhha, I think I understand what you're saying. Essentially it only helps if you dont have a QEV, because if a QEV is used, the electronic dwell can be dropped below the mechanical dwell limits.
Guess I'll be looking at the L7 or DW HollowPoint.
Thanks for the quick reply, PBNation is

edit-\/\/\/ ok, so what I said, minus the part that you previously didnt mention about it speeding up the bolt on the forward cycle. Again, thanks for the help

Up'd Black EGO7, Up'd Ion & Up'd D2 FST

"... how can you sleep, if you're high on crack? Chinese riddle for you!" Tyrone Biggums

Last edited by MVpaintball : 07-28-2012 at 06:47 PM.
MVpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM #4
RogueShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVpaintball View Post
ahhha, I think I understand what you're saying. Essentially it only helps if you dont have a QEV, because if a QEV is used, the electronic dwell can be dropped below the mechanical dwell limits.
Guess I'll be looking at the L7 or DW HollowPoint.
Thanks for the quick reply, PBNation is
That actually wasn't at all what I was saying. QEV will help in either case because it speeds up the forward cycle of the bolt. What I was trying to say is since you can already lower your dwell via the Blackheart board, you really don't NEED a dual o-ringed bolt. Those are a better mod for guns that don't have dwell adjustment via the board, since it's normally cheaper to grab a bolt than a new board.

What I recommend is to get a QEV and drop your dwell down to the 20's. See GOG's videos on dwell tuning for help with this. If you still want to upgrade beyond that by all means, feel free but the QEV + dwell reduction should net you a really nice efficiency increase at low cost.
GOG/DLX - Valken - QuickShot Paintball - FogDoc.com - TechT - Deadlywind
RogueShooter is offline   Reply With Quote