Community Focus

Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 AM #1
CMiller199
Pittsburgh Torture

CMiller199 is playing at Living Legends V
CMiller199 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CMiller199 plays in the APPA D5 division
Facebook

Am i the only guy that invested in facebook stupidly?
CMiller199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM #2
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
I was waiting for a thread about facebook stock.

and yes.
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM #3
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

has been a member for 10 years
Never invest in IPOs. IPOs are mainly for the private investors to sell off their stock and make bank.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 PM #4
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Quote:
You can sue Facebook, but why did you buy?
Commentary: Gamblers complaining that the game was rigged

By MarketWatch
Last Update: 11:47 AM ET May 23, 2012

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — And on the third day, the market wailed, the shares rose and the lawyers sued.
So went the morning trading session on the Wednesday after Facebook-pocalypse. As the trading session reached the midway point, Facebook Inc. shares showed a 3.7% gain. It was a minor relief to those who bought the initial public offering near its offering price of $38. After all, the bleeding had stopped for now.
But for investors who snatched up shares on the first day, tiny gains after the shares had fallen by nearly a fifth in two days, was hardly fair in their eyes. And so, the class action attorneys began rounding up the aggrieved to press Morgan Stanley , Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. among others, for compensation.
Their argument will undoubtedly be that they were deprived of critical information that favored clients received as the IPO drew near. If it’s true, they probably should receive some action. The trades could be wiped out or investors made whole.
Still, there’s something unseemly about customers complaining at a gambling table that the game was rigged against them. There were plenty of less-nefarious reasons that Facebook shares plummeted. The massive increase in shares to be sold, the darkening outlook on revenue and advertising, the mind-boggling valuation ($100 billion, 100-times earnings).
Unfortunately, you can’t sue people for being suckers or greedy. You’ll note these people never sue when their investments go up.
Moreover, we live in a time when Wall Street’s mistakes are so pervasive and foul, the industry never gets the benefit of the doubt.
Today, the perception at least, is that Wall Street is only dependable when it comes to fouling things up, playing favorites, taking handouts and acting offended when people complain.
The monumental Facebook offering was so visible, so anticipated, so obviously set up to disappoint — you have to wonder why so many investors put themselves in that position.
— David Weidner
Buy into an IPO at 100 times over earnings? That is freaking scary high. For your information there are technology companies, that make way more financially, that have a smaller price and a bigger discount. You get nothing for holding on to the FB stock either. There are no dividends. Maybe if the stock market was not falling because of greek debt, people would inflate the stock to more asinine levels. It might shoot back up, but there is no reason for your stock to go up other than popularity.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 05-23-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:54 PM #5
SpankyCocker14
Keep On Trollin' On

SpankyCocker14 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller199 View Post
Am i the only guy that invested in facebook stupidly?
I almost did... $10,000 worth... Glad I didn't do it.

Sorry for your loss. I was almost in the same boat.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 PM #6
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
i did a few weeks after. in a year this stock will be 20% over its ipo price. mark my words old guys

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 PM #7
Calin

Calin is a Moderator
Calin is a Supporting Member
Calin donated to help Peyton Trent
Calin supports Bob Gurnsey
There is nothing wrong with investing in IPO's also depends on what you mean. Like did you get into the IPO at the offering price or did you pick up secondary shares. If you can't get in at the offering price, then don't even bother thinking about it. To check, just look at what firm you invest in, it is a discount firm (E-Trade, Thinkorswim, TD Ameritrade, Charles Schwab), chances are you are a sucker if you invest in IPO's.

Now with Facebook, the problem they have is that over 80% of their income is from display ads on desktop computers, 15% is games and 5% is misc. One of the largest gaming platforms just reduced its earning guidance down 90%. 80% of the time on Facebook is through mobile devices of which Facebook earns nothing on. You have a CEO that doesn't care about the bottomline of the company (why should he, he cashed out 1 billion at the offering), and he owns 56% of the voting rights.

Bottomline, Facebook is overvalued. Only way to change that is to fire the CEO and replace or have him change his mind on earnings. Or come up with a mysterious way to capitalize. People mistaken their 900 million user base and confuse it with earnings.

Someone once had a business plan. This pencil cost me 50cents, if I can sell it for 1 dollar and I sell 2 million pencils I can make 1 million dollars. Yea that won't work.

One thing to remember, stocks follow earnings.

Truly "ignorant" people are those who call others "ignorant, misinformed, uninformed" and are the same people that have lost an argument.

Typos happen.
Calin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 AM #8
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

What do you think of SNE making 80 billion in revenue but being priced around $12, twice below facebook's value. .50 price to book ratio currently; the book value is $24.54. Last time I saw the Sony P/E ratio it was around 2. Over the course of 2 years it lost approx 8 billion in net income which is why the low valuation. Japan's tsunamis and the hacker attacks took it down.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 07-27-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM #9
doless
ballin in, ballin out

Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM #10
doomsday57

doomsday57 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
doomsday57 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Facebook has no product what are they going to make money at adds? Well thats great but what happens when another site comes out with something more people like? Then facebook drops
doomsday57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 AM #11
PillsburyDoughboy
CondomDealerExtraordinair

PillsburyDoughboy is a Supporting Member
PillsburyDoughboy helped look for balloons
PillsburyDoughboy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Just to echo, nothing wrong with IPOs. Just dumb to invest in a company that does not make money, has no solid monetization plan, and will probably become a ghost in 5 years when something better comes along.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=638985
I love dirty dirty house music....
PillsburyDoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM #12
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PillsburyDoughboy View Post
Just to echo, nothing wrong with IPOs. Just dumb to invest in a company that does not make money, has no solid monetization plan, and will probably become a ghost in 5 years when something better comes along.
pretty much. It's like some people never heard of myspace.
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:53 AM #13
phyl6058 (Banned)

I don't think so investment in facebook stock, let you down in market. This is very good to invest in facebook this will give profit hold it.
phyl6058 is offline   Reply With Quote