Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM #85
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker Company Joel View Post
PLEASE take two minutes out of your day to email inside edition and tell them they're full of it.

email@insideedition.com

DO IT NOW
Or I could take that two minutes and answer the questions of a person who is new to paintball. Honestly, which course of action do you think will help the sport more?
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2012, 02:14 PM #86
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromer611 View Post
I think the hatred directed at Inside Edition and the media in general is a little premature. If you actually watch the clip BEFORE deciding to get angry, you'll see that the focus is more on the speculation that smoke grenades intended for paintball were used in the massacre. There's no implication that paintball itself trains or inspires people to commit mass shootings, even if we're all waiting for the shoe to drop on that theory.

Also, I don't think Gator's comments were taken out of context. In fact, the reporter prefaces his quote by saying that people in the hobby are worried about the public drawing comparisons between paintball and the massacre. What Gator said is that it's understandable that people would draw these connections. Even though in the forum Gator followed this up by saying that he thought these connections were unreasonable, it doesn't change what we all know to be true- those connections are probably going to be made. I don't think omitting the second part of his statement means that the quoted portion of his statement was "out of context."

We definitely need to pay attention what the media says about the hobby, but let's be fair about it.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:04 PM #87
The Wigglestick
I'm ya huckleberry...

The Wigglestick plays in the PSP
The Wigglestick owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Wigglestick posts videos on PbNation
The Wigglestick plays in the APPA D4 division
i think that tons of people are going to go to youtube and watch the trailer for derder's dvd and realize that its nothing like they imagined. if it was a woodsball dvd teaching tactics thats one thing, but its a dvd about pro tournament paintball. it could actually be good for speedball, since it is organized like traditional sports. i would think that dvd would attract more people than it would discourage.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM #88
headhunter187
Magic Mike

headhunter187 plays in the APPA D4 division
I got an idea.. How about the whole paintball community that wants to help protect the name of paintball host a Same Day National Charity Benefit at fields everywhere, to help the victims pay thier medical bills.. Just an Idea
headhunter187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:30 PM #89
Ryan miller03

Ryan miller03 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ryan miller03 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Just because this guy had a paintball poster.... Did he have video games? Maybe his mommy gave him too many toy guns as a kid. Just because he had a piece o paintball literature doesn't mean anything. Let's blame this on something else please.
Ryan miller03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM #90
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan miller03 View Post
Just because this guy had a paintball poster.... Did he have video games? Maybe his mommy gave him too many toy guns as a kid. Just because he had a piece o paintball literature doesn't mean anything. Let's blame this on something else please.
As far as I can tell, no one in the media is blaming paintball for this shooting. Yet.
We need to keep our eyes open.

You're right about one thing- at this point all we know is that Holmes had a poster on his wall.

However, and this is worrying, I think it's a fair assumption that a maniacal, though clearly intelligent 24-year-old graduate student would not display a rare poster from a small-run DVD about a niche sport unless he had at least some involvement with the hobby.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:06 PM #91
ELuSiVe1151

has been a member for 10 years
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the PSP
ELuSiVe1151 is an NCPA player
ELuSiVe1151 plays in the APPA D5 division
Soldiers of Misfortune is from 2006. If he was a big enough fan that he actually had the poster on his wall, then we can't rule out the possibility that he used to play back then and it actually kept him together.

Although psychosis goes much deeper than just being deprived of your favorite hobby, there's a good possibility that the media is interpreting this whole situation completely backwards.
The Grind Continues!!!
Enflict - Jim Pica Foto - Meadowlands PB

Last edited by ELuSiVe1151 : 07-26-2012 at 05:09 PM.
ELuSiVe1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 PM #92
SeanAllen
tacticool

Did they ever find out how he could afford all the equipment? It was around 20,000 dollars I remember. The only unemployed gunwhores I know are on pbn :infinitedodgy:
Old 07-27-2012, 02:58 PM #93
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Speculation on my part, but student loans, most likely.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:52 PM #94
gunslinger84

gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
gunslinger84 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inflicted View Post
Speculation on my part, but student loans, most likely.
Probably. I have friends who bought everything from their first handguns to European trips on student loans. Me? I went to Antigua.