PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 PM #1
killiam

03' Excalibur inconsistencies

Greetings!

Once again I come here asking for help, as you may remember my previous thread asking for help about installing the Tadao Ebisu board, which went smoothly thanks to you guys

Since then my Excalibur has still remained as an occupational paperweight, which is frustrating as I really want this thing to work, and get some good games in with it(even more so now before the nice weather is gone!)

The problem is(and one of the reasons I bought the Tadao Ebisu board, after reading about certain problems with the Chaos Pandora board) that the marker itself is generally just extremely inconsistent all together when firing. Firing single shots at the rate of a pump yields okay-ish results, but still nothing fancy or reliable even at that. When at all walking the trigger(let's say anything above 4 bps), the bolt will begin to lock up, and randomly "Puff", and sometimes even jam up entirely getting stuck(the bolt jamming entirely is a much more rare occurrence though.) The paintballs will do everything from leaving the barrel at 350fps, to probably something that isn't even a mesely 1fps, or not at all.

This has persisted before, and after switching boards. It has persisted through cleaning the regulator, and resetting the regulator. I've tried numerous settings on the board, anything from factory defaults to several different other patterns with higher dwell and such with no effect what-so-ever on the performance. Eyes on, or off have no effect either, and I'm most certain all of the wires are undamaged. I've spent some time reading the manuals with no conclusive solution other than a slight suspicion of bad springs/o-rings, and I have also looked around a lot from here to Mcarterbrown. It is most certainly not the battery either, before someone mentions that

It's pretty much a stock 03' Excal with eyes, with the exception of the Tadao Ebisu board, with Humphrey solenoids.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to go on from here? Are my solenoids perhaps bad? Is the LPR/pneumatics-regulator perhaps at fault here? I've never touched the LPR btw, and I have no idea what it is set at. Could it be dirty/bad/damaged internals/o-rings or otherwise apart from the SideWinder regulator?

Here's a short video I recorded with my toaster of the Excalibur firing, if that would help: http://filesmelt.com/dl/excalprobfinal1.wmv

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!
killiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 AM #2
TheePsycho
Sadist

TheePsycho is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
TheePsycho is playing at Living Legends VII
Well first of all I would recommend getting a gauge and cartridge tool so that you could check your lpr settings and could check your ram as well. I'm going with though that one of your solenoids is failing, assuming your lpr and cartridge is fine.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 AM #3
killiam

Yeah, that's what I was beginning to expect. So I guess I'm just going to have to go the whole nine yards and get solenoids, repair kits, and the gauge/tools from AKA regardless to fix this thing sometime in this life.

Luckily I'll be in the states very soon and shipping costs won't be such a big problem.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 AM #4
Enfamous13

Annual Supporting Member
1) Replace o-rings on your bolt. I had random bolt stick until I realized that the front oring was worn out and getting caught.

2) Replace all o-rings in the hammer and ram cartridge. Gunky cartridges are bad mmmkay.

3) Re-crimp your solenoid connectors. Bad connects = inconsistent power. The front solenoid is for the bolt.

4) Clean your solenoid piston.

5) You may not need new solenoids but you do need to get the service tools and become intimate with the manual.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 PM #5
killiam

I received the marker without an o-ring on the front of the bolt. I didn't expect it to have much of an adverse effect on anything really. I have a few o-rings around, so I'll replace them.

As for the rest, that's incredibly insightful and helpful. I'll have to procure the proper tools before proceeding to do anything further down your list though. Even if it isn't the solenoids, I guess it wouldn't hurt anything other than my wallet to have an extra pair laying around in my spare-parts kit.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 AM #6
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Sounds like what was happening when my MAC noids were dying.

lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:02 PM #7
grodo
The One & Only

grodo is playing at Living Legends V
grodo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grodo has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
grodo is attending Decay of Nations VI
Send to AKA their products have a lifetime warranty
Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM #8
killiam

I do actually have the warranty card, lol. Don't think the warranty really covers it anymore, seeing as I bought it used.