Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 PM #1
dorsai

dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Scale Abrams

For those of you who feel that it's not a tank unless it
really looks like a tank, here's a clip that's sure to be
one of your favorites. Just wish he'd built it a bigger.

Enjoy!
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 PM #2
Tusken Raider

Darn shame they are so hard and expensive to build. Wheeled vehicles are just so much easier.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 PM #3
CNCRouterman

Yeah, Lee's project is quite impressive. About 1200 lbs, 110 cc engine and a high ratio automotive type open differential axle, braked differential steered. From watching the video, it looks like he could re-sprocket the pinion input reduction stage to gain a bit of ground speed, and still have plenty of hill climbing power.
Interesting scale detail trivia. The bearing caps on the road wheels are made by our French builder in France. They are very close in scale accuracy to AMX-40 road wheel details. Michel is a retired Grand Prix race car builder, and has build a very nice AMX-40 of about the same size, though Michel uses a Mantra 2 speed transmission and 13 hp Honda motor. The rest of the details are all on Lee's shoulders, and he did a dang good job.

TWA 2341: "Center, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"
CNCRouterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 AM #4
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Tank

Beautiful tank! The person (s) that built this tank should be commended. The things I dont like about it is its needs a muffler (that constant noise would drive someone crazy) and markers to keep the AT guys from getting close to it. I think the tank is a good size because most large tanks cannot move well in the bush or fields with alot of obstacles. Thats where the smaller/med size tanks have the advantage. The large tanks have the advantage in the open range. Beyond that a very nice tank.

Treaddz
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:51 PM #5
CNCRouterman

Lee's motivation for building did not originally include Paintball. I think with some of the chatting on scaledtanks.com that I and Socoj2 and a couple other PBer's have had with each other and Lee that we may have put the bee in his bonnet though. Maybe he will build another, "One for Show and One for Go" as a friend of mine says.

As for the muffler comment, I share your preference for a quiet power plant and intend to include several sound attenuation approaches to keep it manageable for my crew. My friends in Atlanta have several wheeled PB tanks, and all of them are too loud in the crew compartment to permit un-aided communications from crew to crew, let alone crew to ground pounder when in motion. Relying on radio comms and throat mics is a bit over the top in my book. Not that I would give up my throat mic, but I prefer it as a tool to aid communications rather than a mission critical piece of equipment, radios fail, battery die, frequency buttons get pushed by accident, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:31 PM #6
Tusken Raider

What about using a helmet system that our guys use in tanks? And I would agree mufflers are a must. If they hear ya coming they will be prepared for you.

I am contemplating a tank of sorts for both airsoft and paintball since I have interests in both.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 AM #7
dorsai

dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Battery power is great, so long as the vehicle has the range.
Out in Oklahoma, golf cart tanks are nearly useless due to
the area that has to be covered, but for most other sites
they're just fine.

Sometimes even the noisy tanks score kills because of the
'fog of war' or because they've parked in a good location
that their opposition is tasked with taking. That's why it
is also vital to insure your tank and infantry know how to
work together, rather than as two indpendent units that
have no contact with one another.

Sincerely,
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM #8
CNCRouterman

I agree with dorsai, in the "fog of war", it is amazing how noisy the tank can be and still "sneak up" on the crunchies.
In any case, I really want to keep the engine noise down. With 60 plus hp, I will probably have to pad the engine bay and install baffles for the cooling air. I don't know what to expect from the hydraulic units, seems like all my hydrostatic drives make noise, and the skid steers I have driven have an audible hydraulic whine. I may have to resign myself to keeping a supply of cheese with me.

As for the helmets, yes I have considered such, or at least similar. The up shot it that you have to wear a PB mask, or an "approved" face shield and approved eye protection, which make a helmet a bit problematic. I thought about a Starwars stormtrooper type mask with forced ventilation, but the fabrication of the helmet is way outside my experience. I do have loads of 3/16" polycarb but that is really a bit too thick.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 AM #9
sir mister sir

Hey guys that's my tank up there. Thanks for the compliments.

I'll be the first to admit that it has a few short comings.

The muffler...It doesn't have one, but it really isn't very loud in the tank. One of the reasons is that the exhaust pipe does not go all the way out the body, it empties into that box the rear grills mount to. It sort of acts like a amplifier.

The gearing.....it is slow. Right now I have a 16 tooth sprocket on the engine and on the pinion shaft on the rear-end. That's as high as I can go without putting in a jack shaft and a bunch more sprockets etc.

To solve both these problems I bought an old Honda 200cc big red 3-wheeler. Shaft drive, 5 speeds, high and low range, reverse and a stock muffler. I think that will solve a bunch of problems, if I ever get it installed.

It took me a year to build the thing. Then I spent another year making up-grades. I made new wheels,re-worked the suspension, made the turret powered, made a new gun to shoot Nerfs and installed a vortex block air soft gun next to the main gun. So hopefully I can re-power it this winter.

Or...I'll have to finish the Tiger tank I started awhile back....
(I'm dying for some tank on tank battle)

Any other questions just let me know.
sir mister sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 AM #10
CNCRouterman

Sir mister Sir,

Care to post a couple of in progress pix? Like you rear diff drive setup?

PBNation viewers,

Building these tanks is somewhat expensive, well, I guess that is relative. If you approach it with a long term approach, it isn't that bad, though it does depend on how well you can get access to various tools.

Some things are worth investing in FOR the project, some things are worth investing in ONLY if you have other uses for them, such as a Mill and Metal cutting Lathe. A welder is one thing worth getting for the project, and any other uses are just frosting on the cake. A torch (like oxy/acetylene) is sorta a toss up, very versatile, but with the cost of (compressed) gas tanks these days, even used torches often go for $275 and up, making it a little harder to justify.

The powerplant and transmission on Sir Mister Sir's project is less common, usually a Honda GXS series 6.5 Hp to 13 Hp unit is selected and a DYI clutch steer transmission is built, though going Lee's approach will save a bunch of time. Braked differential will work just fine and will be Just AS if not MORE maneuverable than any go cart or conventional wheeled rolling chassis short of an Argo type. If you can score an Argo, most of the work is done, but they tend to be fairly pricey, so your budget will dictate.

Just to introduce a reality check, most builders (at scaledtanks.com) report a project cost well over a grand, usually a couple grand. A few with a bit more disposable income have reported spending upwards of 5 grand on tooling, welders, mills, lathes, and other stuff, mostly used equipment, all before buying stuff for the tank. Depending on free time and help from buddies or team mates, and presuming you don't care if it looks as authentic as Lee's project, you could plan on about a 1 year project, maybe 2 so that the cost of the project is spread out, and you will have plenty to do while you save up for the next material or component purchase. Many hands lighten the burden, and for a team or club, many wallets ease the financial strain.

First reference I recommend for How To is where you can find about 70 videos on building your own scaled tank:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gizmo4t

After that, if you haven't already built your own tank, then go to scaled tanks.

Be Advised to be on your best behavior at ST, as the community rules are swiftly enforced by a US Army Vet who can swing the Ban Hammer faster than 280 fps.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:38 PM #11
Boom Master
Scenario Player

That is almost exactly the size and proportion of my design for a scale Abrams walking tank made out of that polycarbonate twin wall. It is squashed a tad from front to back just to keep it from being 12 feet long with a 6 foot guys head sticking out the top hatch. Certainly gave me the visual for how it should look should I ever get around to building it.

Kudos to the design and builders.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote