Community Focus

Old 06-28-2012, 02:49 PM #1
drmiller

drmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
drmiller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
drmiller has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Ego 8, Ego 10, axe

Guys,

I'm getting back into the sport after a ten year hiatus (now 27), and I'm assuming all my old equipment, sans apparel, is worthless.

I've been researching on here and considering the following guns:

Ego 8 (cheap)
Ego 10 (basically same as Ego 11 for much less)
Axe (outperforms price)
MadDev Drone (not sure about spool due to lack of my repairs & maintenance knowledge).

I plan to get used gear (hopefully a marker, hopper, barrel, and air all in one shot). I'm not afraid of used, but I'm out of the maintenance and tuning "loop", so that why I'm considering these more user friendly guns.

** If you happen to have a sweet deal on this stuff for sale, feel free to PM me. Thanks.

What route would you guys go? I'm trying to stay within a very reasonable budget for this gear as I know I'll need a helmet as well (old JT chameleon has seen its days).

Your help would be much appreciated. TIA.

Last edited by drmiller : 06-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.
drmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM #2
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

The mask is the most important thing you carry onto a field. Buy a good quality mask first. I highly recommend an e-flex or i4s.

If you're going to go with an ego, just save some money and get the ego7 or the ego9. With the ego7 you can do a banjo mod and remove the QEVs and add a zick kit. On the ego9, just make sure it is plank'd and barb'd and it is almost identical to the ego10.

The axe is also a really good gun, but you'd really need to see if you like the feel of it more than anything. One other gun (that I often preach about ) is the MacDev Drone DX. It is a blowforward spool which has very few orings and is super easy to maintain, is pretty efficient and is priced fairly close to the ego8 used.

As for the hopper, go with a vlocity jr (with a chip) or a reloader b for now. Later you can step-up to a rotor or z2.

Tank wise, save yourself the headache and get one with a ninja reg. They are the best regs on the market IMO.

Last edited by blueshifty : 06-28-2012 at 03:00 PM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 PM #3
Realygoofyguy

I would go with one of the Egos, the Ego 8s are super cheap right now, you can even pick up an Ego 9 for around 500-550 and they are amazing guns, easy to tune, and have a great company with amazing customer service backing them.

People love the axe and it does out perform it's price range, but if you are ok with something used, the older high ends are the way to go.
Realygoofyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:59 PM #4
drmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
The mask is the most important thing you carry onto a field. Buy a good quality mask first. I highly recommend an e-flex or i4s.

If you're going to go with an ego, just save some money and get the ego7 or the ego9. With the ego7 you can do a banjo mod and remove the QEVs and add a zick kit. On the ego9, just make sure it is plank'd and barb'd and it is almost identical to the ego10.

The axe is also a really good gun, but you'd really need to see if you like the feel of it more than anything. One other gun (that I often preach about ) is the MacDev Drone DX. It is a blowforward spool which has very few orings and is super easy to maintain, is pretty efficient and is priced fairly close to the ego8 used.
I was actually just adding that gun when you wrote your response. Thanks for your comment on the masks. I totally agree this is most important. I'm focusing more on the guns because the mask seems to be a lot easier decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realygoofyguy View Post
I would go with one of the Egos, the Ego 8s are super cheap right now, you can even pick up an Ego 9 for around 500-550 and they are amazing guns, easy to tune, and have a great company with amazing customer service backing them.

People love the axe and it does out perform it's price range, but if you are ok with something used, the older high ends are the way to go.
I'm totally OK with used, as long as someone knew to maintaining them can handle it.

Do you know more about the Droid either? Its more of a dark horse to me as I've read much more about Egos.

Last edited by drmiller : 06-28-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM #5
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller View Post
I was actually just adding that gun when you wrote your response. Thanks for your comment on the masks. I totally agree this is most important. I'm focusing more on the guns because the mask seems to be a lot easier decision.
You added the droid which I personally like better than the Drone DX I suggested, but since maintenance is an issue you may want to stick to the Drone. Droids are smoother and more efficient, but they have a ton of orings and are fairly picky on how much and what kind of lube you use. If you are mechanically inclined at all, then I'd say get the Droid with a gold bolt without a doubt.

For reference here are the gun's internals:
Drone:

Droid:

Last edited by blueshifty : 06-28-2012 at 03:11 PM.
blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM #6
drmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
You added the droid which I personally like better than the Drone DX I suggested, but since maintenance is an issue you may want to stick to the Drone. Droids are smoother and more efficient, but they have a ton of orings and are fairly picky on how much and what kind of lube you use. If you are mechanically inclined at all, then I'd say get the Droid with a gold bolt without a doubt.
Thanks. I changed it to Drone. Got confused with my phone..
Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 PM #7
stuntman007

stuntman007 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As mentioned earlier by blueshifty drone dx is your best bet. It is efficient when broken in 10pods~ smoother than any ego or axe, and fairly simple to take apart and work on. Not hard to take care at all. Goes for 550 new. Good luck
Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM #8
blueshifty

Quote:
Thanks. I changed it to Drone. Got confused with my phone..
I got your back. Anyway, the Drone is a true dark horse. IMO, it shoots better than most spools twice it's price with the Geo being no exception. Once it is broken in it is super smooth and pretty efficient. Maintenance is a breeze and it is a top quality marker. Down the road you can add a clone board (for the OLED) and you'll be set.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:23 AM #9
drmiller

one last question: I have the Evil "Pipe" barrel system still from my autococker. I know freaks are still around, so I'm wondering if this barrel system is still legit like it was back in the day, or if its outdated and inferior now.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 AM #10
NargofWoV
Ole Cocker.. user

NargofWoV is playing at Living Legends VII
Don't think you can go wrong with the pipe kit, as long as it is small enough in bore. Some paint out there gets really tiny. I've not heard anyone say the pipe kit is outmatched today, so you'd be fine with it as long as you don't have paint to bore issues.
NargofWoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM #11
drmiller

it has a two piece barrel style, and it has five individual bottom barrel bores, .683, .686, .689, .692, and .695.

Cool, just wanted to make sure it wasn't grossly inferior to the new stuff.

PE and basically everyone else use cocker threads, right?

Thanks very much.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 AM #12
NargofWoV
Ole Cocker.. user

NargofWoV is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
it has a two piece barrel style, and it has five individual bottom barrel bores, .683, .686, .689, .692, and .695.

Cool, just wanted to make sure it wasn't grossly inferior to the new stuff.

PE and basically everyone else use cocker threads, right?

Thanks very much.
I would say the majority of mfg's of paintball markers use Cocker threads, yes. But, there are differences out there. PE's use cocker threading yea.
NargofWoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 PM #13
drmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NargofWoV View Post
I would say the majority of mfg's of paintball markers use Cocker threads, yes. But, there are differences out there. PE's use cocker threading yea.
Thank you.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 PM #14
k.tran
Its not gay if you do it

k.tran owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
axe is awesome for price (for a new gun)
k.tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:40 PM #15
drmiller

Thanks for the help guys. Bought a spiderweb Ego 8, rotor, and ninja/crossfire tank. I'm going to use my evil barrel kit with it for now. Thanks for the help and advice.