Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-27-2012, 09:20 PM #1
TH3_Gibby

Etek 4 or Proto Reflex Rail? Y?

I am about to purches a new marker and i was wondering Eek 4 or Proto refelx rail and Y??????
TH3_Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM #2
"T-MAC"
({})

"T-MAC" is playing at Living Legends III
"T-MAC" supports Bob Gurnsey
refelx
"T-MAC" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 AM #3
JakeParkinson

JakeParkinson has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
JakeParkinson supports Empire
Proto= Smoother shot, ergonomic feel
Etek= Air efficient, easier maintenance
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM #4
BigDogTim
That's the motto.

Annual Supporting Member
BigDogTim is playing at Living Legends V
BigDogTim supports Sherwood Forest
Reflex Rails shoot very smooth but need to be maintained much more. ETEK's are more efficient, VERY loud, very "kicky", and require far less maintenance.

You're asking for a comparison between a spool valve design and a poppet design, so the following point will hold true for most guns in those categories in general.

ETEK3/4 (POPPET)
1. More efficient
2. More reliable
3. Less maintenance required
4. More kick
5. MUCH louder
6. VERY "unsmooth" shot.

Reflex Rail (SPOOL)
1. Much smoother shot
2. Much Quieter
3. Very little barrel rise, IF ANY
4. Requires more maintenance
5. Still very reliable
6. Less efficient

Both are ready to go out of the box. I would suggest that you get a Reflex '12 (Or you can find a pretty cheap 11 on here), as you would have much less of a chance of being disappointed. I know that, when I got my ETEK after my Reflex, I was like a fish out of water. I simply wasn't comfortable with it. The Reflex is a large step above the ETEK, IMO.
BigDogTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM #5
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

If you are set on those 2 options only, then most proshops will have both for you to hold. BigDogTim summed it up pretty well. If you will entertain other guns in that price range, then I strongly recommend the MacDev Drone DX; I believe it is the best shooting gun in that price range.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM #6
stuntman007

stuntman007 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I also encourage the drone DX. It is just as smooth as the reflex rail when broken in, almost if not as efficient as Etek when broken in, way simpler than proto and just a bit more complicated than Etek. What more do you want in a gun?

Blueshifty: it seems we always preach the same thing. Haha
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM #7
Realygoofyguy

Droids are fantastic, it may be a bit harder to find someone at the field that has one that you will be able to try out before buy it though. I've only seen three at my field so far, while every other kid has an etek or a reflex.
Realygoofyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 AM #8
matiasgil
Argentinian!

matiasgil has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
matiasgil has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
matiasgil has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
matiasgil is attending Decay of Nations VI
i have a proto reflex rail 2012 and i love it!. Its a great gun!!
matiasgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM #9
gsmNC

eteketkektkekektekktektkekkektektkektektektkektket kek 44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444
gsmNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 PM #10
BigDogTim
That's the motto.

Annual Supporting Member
BigDogTim is playing at Living Legends V
BigDogTim supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmNC
eteketkektkekektekktektkekkektektkektektektkektket kek 44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444
What a well thought out post!
Tard,
BigDogTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 AM #11
Ginger.5
AA ALL DAY!

Ginger.5 plays in the PSP
Ginger.5 supports Team VICIOUS
Most of my team shoot reflex I shoot a DM and they have decided to never maintenance it to see if it actually needs it and it doesn't. They never take the bolt out of the reflex and it's ball on ball each day! Tbh I like it more than the Ego.
OWEN HOOD #47
ADRENALIN ARMY 2014
>EKK<>G.I. SPORTZ<>ADRENALIN PAINTBALL<>BIG INDIAN PAINTBALL PARK<>HK ARMY<
Ginger.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:16 PM #12
ooop18
2K6er

ooop18 is playing at Living Legends V
ooop18 posts videos on PbNation
ooop18 supports Pev's Paintball
ooop18 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ooop18 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I like the reflex but i would look into a used DM personally
ooop18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM #13
stevefrench

heres my honest opinion of why i just recently bought the etek 4 over the reflex. first off, i have had trial time with both of these guns, and they are very similar indeed, butwhile i was trying the rail, it shot great, but withing the 5 games i played with it, i had to crack open the parts kit and switch two o rings, this is mostly due to the fact that its a spool. and whille i was using the etek, it was a little louder, but it shot the same. alot of people are putting huge hype that the rail has the best shot ever but theyre almost the same. and my new etek is a work horse. first day on the job was a 2 daylong scenario at wich i shot 4 cases of paint, and it was great, hardly any breaks!!

my opinion is etek all the way.
stevefrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:23 PM #14
dsmblackmagik

how many pods dose your reflex rail get off after the hopper on a 3000 fill
dsmblackmagik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM #15
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefrench View Post
heres my honest opinion of why i just recently bought the etek 4 over the reflex. first off, i have had trial time with both of these guns, and they are very similar indeed, butwhile i was trying the rail, it shot great, but withing the 5 games i played with it, i had to crack open the parts kit and switch two o rings, this is mostly due to the fact that its a spool. and whille i was using the etek, it was a little louder, but it shot the same. alot of people are putting huge hype that the rail has the best shot ever but theyre almost the same. and my new etek is a work horse. first day on the job was a 2 daylong scenario at wich i shot 4 cases of paint, and it was great, hardly any breaks!!

my opinion is etek all the way.
Wow, i dont agree with anything you just posted....

To say a Reflex and an etek shoot almost the same is a beyond ridiculous claim. We are talking about an unbalanced spool vs a poppet. They are completely different.

Secondly, the fact that you had to change the o-rings on the Reflex is SOO circumstantial.. Was the gun brand new out of the box? Was it lent to you? When was the last time any o-rings were changed? So many questions to be answered here. Not to mention, in the 2 years i've had a PMR, i have NEVER had to change any of the o-rings, and i've probably had to grease the bolt all of 5 times.

People on these forums dramatize maintenance requirements SO much its bothersome.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 AM #16
robf88
Berserker

robf88 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robf88 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacob View Post
To say a Reflex and an etek shoot almost the same is a beyond ridiculous claim. We are talking about an unbalanced spool vs a poppet. They are completely different.
^^^^ I agree with this. I recently chose an Etek 4 over a 2012 PMR based on my own personal preferences, but to say an ETEk and Reflex shot the same is a stretch. I know comparing my ETEk 4 to a guys PMR this past weekend that the PMR was a smoother shot and quieter. (Dont know if it makes much of a difference but he had an older PMR too) That doesn't make the PMR a better gun though. You really should decide what you are looking for in a marker and make a decision based on that.
robf88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM #17
inferno2inferno

The etek 4 all the way. Although I am a fan of the reflex, the etek 4s reliability and ease of maintenance make it superior. The reflex shoots very well, but I found mine to be very maintenance needy whereas my etek performed consistently without having to put as much maintenance into it.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 PM #18
hatersauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno2inferno View Post
The etek 4 all the way. Although I am a fan of the reflex, the etek 4s reliability and ease of maintenance make it superior. The reflex shoots very well, but I found mine to be very maintenance needy whereas my etek performed consistently without having to put as much maintenance into it.
What areas of maintenance is this ? as I am trying to decide wether to get a prr or an etek 4, do the orings on the prr break faster?
hatersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM #19
inferno2inferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatersauce

What areas of maintenance is this ? as I am trying to decide wether to get a prr or an etek 4, do the orings on the prr break faster?
The maintenance is related to reliability. My etek needs little heavy maintenance; just oiling the rammer every 5 cases and greasing the reg every 20 or so keeps the etek in perfect working condition. With my Reflex12 I found that the bolt needed lubrication far more frequently (every 2-3 cases) and if I did not do that, it would shoot at inconsistent velocities. The etek on the other hand even if it was due for some maintenance, was still very consistent.

Another factor regarding the reflex I would like to point out is that the solenoid is very sensitive. I know a lot of players who have by mistake blown out the solenoid from turning the adjuster screw a bit over 1/4-1/8 of a turn while chronoing. It's a great marker, but a very sensitive one. Do not get me wrong, I love both guns, but for the aforementioned reasons i favor the etek more.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 PM #20
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Darko9989 is playing at Living Legends V
Darko9989 is for the Gunfight
Darko9989 supports Pev's Paintball
Darko9989 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Darko9989 is attending Decay of Nations VI
LOL. I am pretty sure OP has made his decision since he posted this thread 5 months ago.
Darko9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM #21
roofie liqueur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko9989 View Post
LOL. I am pretty sure OP has made his decision since he posted this thread 5 months ago.
lol.