PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM #43
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
MS is apparently going to sell the "RT" version to the ipad crowd and the full-fat, X86 version to the people that need to do something productive. I'm not sure what sort of software the RT version is going to run except that I know it wont run x86 programs. It may tap into the WP7 and/or WP8 market app store thingy.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 PM #44
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell

rnauman821 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
rnauman821 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus
MS is apparently going to sell the "RT" version to the ipad crowd and the full-fat, X86 version to the people that need to do something productive. I'm not sure what sort of software the RT version is going to run except that I know it wont run x86 programs. It may tap into the WP7 and/or WP8 market app store thingy.
RT is for ARM machines. The applications it runs must be purchased via the Microsoft App store and are essentially the metro apps of normal Win8.
rnauman821 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM #45
{InsertUsernameHere}
Butt Stuff

{InsertUsernameHere} has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
{InsertUsernameHere} has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
{InsertUsernameHere} has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcelos View Post
Microsoft is making this tablet to basically be a computer. Thats cool and i'm sure it will work really well for the people who need a portable computer on the go.

However...

When you look at an iPad vs a Macbook they are completely different. The IOS is an app based OS. The pilot of the iPad is that "Theres an app for everything" as opposed to a normal computer os where you have files and programs and what not.

Im not to familiar with MS8 but if Microsoft makes this tablet a true tablet PC, as in a not app based operating service which is what Im assuming it is, and priced at say $500 I don't see it being successful.

The vast majority of iPad users are not graphic designers and business men. They are college kids looking for a quick laptop replacement who are not doing any intensive work and they are for parents/grandmas to check their emails and facebooks. Granted more and more people are starting to use the iPad for more intensive reasons but the majority of the users use it for the games and facebook.

Microsoft needs to figure out its target base. With consumer goods like this it's not always about shoving the best hardware possible. Sure the specs will buy the tech community but that is such a small portion of the total marketplace.

Apple doesn't advertise its specs. Do you think mom cares about how much ram and processing power is in her iPad? No. All she cares about is that its easy enough for her to check her email and to skype her kids.
Um RT is pretty much perfect for that... It has the Office suite plus a real browser instead of a mobile one (If you like to call IE a real browser )
{InsertUsernameHere} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 PM #46
ShinDig
Party Over Here

ShinDig has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by {InsertUsernameHere} View Post
Um RT is pretty much perfect for that... It has the Office suite plus a real browser instead of a mobile one (If you like to call IE a real browser )
And I'm sure firefox and chrome will be added to the microsoft store on release so we won't be held back by IE, even though I have been using it exclusively on my netbook with the consumer build of win8. And I'll tell you, it's pretty fast and snappy.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 PM #47
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
the people who faithfully buy apple products because their friends have them won't be dislodged anyway.
wat
wat
Promagistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:26 PM #48
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell

rnauman821 is Legendary
... If Microsoft plays their cards right, they could easily yank away a huge market.... a real business market.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:39 PM #49
ShinDig
Party Over Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promagistrate View Post
the people who faithfully buy apple products because their friends have them won't be dislodged anyway.
Who knows, if things pan out well a lot of creatives/design oriented mac users may jump ship to design in the windows environment for their on the go needs/ease of design with a stylus plus full fledged Photoshop and other misc. programs.

And yes for business, this sure could make waves. With tight knit integration with enterprise and full bitlocker encryption, this will no doubt entice companies to adopt the platform. Tablet wise forsure, but for full blown work stations, I think windows 7/XP will be used for quite some time.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 AM #50
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnauman821 View Post
... If Microsoft plays their cards right, they could easily yank away a huge market.... a real business market.
Sadly, no. For years, companies have been making products superior to Apple. Yet Apple is still here.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM #51
rnauman821
I Ring the Bell

rnauman821 is Legendary
Corporations still haven't bought into apples mobile devices. They don't offer the security or administrative control most companies desire for their devices.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM #52
2kitty

still looks pretty sharp to me.
2kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 PM #53
ShinDig
Party Over Here

Pre-orders just want live today for the surface. Going to wait until people do some hands on reviews before I make a final decision.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-US
Old 10-16-2012, 05:00 PM #54
GMaster
Canon Connoisseur

GMaster is a Paintball photographer
This was released by HP/Compaq in 2003. Bought one for 30 bucks at a state auction site three years later -- shame HP didn't keep this type of technology rolling.