Community Focus

Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM #1
FLpaintballer23
REEFER

FLpaintballer23 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
FLpaintballer23 plays in the APPA beginner division
FLpaintballer23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Spyder Sonix Upgrades?

Just purchased a new Spyder Sonix for my fiance to start playing paint ball with, and am wondering if there are any mandatory upgrades besides a new barrel? I have already ordered the barrel but am curious to know if there is anything else that is necessary for that type of marker. I've already read in here that mechanical markers aren't usually worth upgrading too much. Any one have any thoughts? Input please!
FLpaintballer23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:01 AM #2
theblindchicken
49'er

theblindchicken is an NCPA player
theblindchicken is an NCPA National Champion
theblindchicken plays in the APPA D5 division
What type of input pressure are you looking to run? HPA/CO2? I prefer HPA tanks, but CO2 is mandatory in certain areas due to the lack of readily available 3k/4.5k air compressors. Also, carbon fiber HPA tanks can be lighter than steelie HPA/CO2 depending on the compared sizes.

Since it's mechanical, you can most likely stick with a normal gravity fed hopper instead of spending more money on an electric hopper.

A regulator could be a good idea, but only if you're looking to have a pretty consistent marker. Although, you will most likely have enough time between shots to maintain a pretty stable output pressure and consistent velocity.

An on/off ASA could be useful, but again, not necessary. One benefit of an on/off ASA is that it will allow your tank to be screwed/unscrewed easier because of the lack of pressure pushing on the threading. ***But this benefit is only from on/off ASAs where the pin actually moves.***

Maybe some comfortable grips if the existing ones are not good enough.

You could also go for a new bolt, such as a delrin bolt where less maintenance is needed and helps prevent your bolt from chopping paint.

Also remember, the best way to maintain accuracy is to bore match your paint and not the length of the barrel.
theblindchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 AM #3
‹GOD›
PMGWC Council

‹GOD› helped look for balloons
‹GOD› is playing at Living Legends III
‹GOD› owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindchicken View Post
You could also go for a new bolt, such as a delrin bolt where less maintenance is needed and helps prevent your bolt from chopping paint.
How does the material a bolt is composed of have a direct impact on the number of chops?

OLD FEEDBACK
"Originally posted by Gordofski: you can trust GOD though"
‹GOD› is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:09 AM #4
theblindchicken
49'er

From my experience, it's the way they are constructed. The Delrin bolt I have (out of a spyder pilot ACS) is mainly Delrin, but has an aluminum core that holds the bolt pin, the cocking pin and keeps the Delrin piece forward with spring tension. This spring tension and the lighter material should create a smaller impact force on an individual paintball than a solid aluminum bolt.

I've had more chops (with the same paint) with my stock aluminum bolt than the pilot ACS bolt.

This of course is only the experience of one person and may differ greatly between consumers.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:51 AM #5
‹GOD›
PMGWC Council

‹GOD› helped look for balloons
‹GOD› is playing at Living Legends III
‹GOD› owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The particular bolt you're referring to is most likely the ACS bolt. This was Kingmans answer to chopping balls without having to add some form of electronic ball detection to their markers. Ultimately it was a failure. A good idea in theory but is was near impossible to execute successfully and Kingman wasn't the only company to attempt a bolt like this.

Just because a bolt is delrin does not mean it's going to reduce chopping. More than 99.9% of delrin bolts are solid and do not have a spring like yours does. If you want to (nearly) eliminate chops, get a force feed loader that has an on marker feed rate in excess of your maximum ROF and keep fresh batteries in it.

On the topic of a lighter bolt exerting less force on a ball caught half way out of the feedneck, that would hold true if there wasn't constant pressure on it from the main spring. The inertia would be slightly less but that's negligible after factoring in the tension of the main spring.
OLD FEEDBACK
"Originally posted by Gordofski: you can trust GOD though"
‹GOD› is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:27 AM #6
mnkywitagun

barrel, compressed air tank, and yes an electric hopper nothing too fancy just something that can feed 15+ bps. IT does help with chopping. Old old revvy, evolution..etc will do. and use "rec style" paintballs since their shells are a little more durable to withstand the highpressure markers like spyders.
then enjoy!
Old 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM #7
theblindchicken
49'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ‹GOD›

Just because a bolt is delrin does not mean it's going to reduce chopping. More than 99.9% of delrin bolts are solid and do not have a spring like yours does.

On the topic of a lighter bolt exerting less force on a ball caught half way out of the feedneck, that would hold true if there wasn't constant pressure on it from the main spring. The inertia would be slightly less but that's negligible after factoring in the tension of the main spring.
I did not realize that only the ACS bolt is not solid Delrin due to my only experience with Delrin bolts are ACS bolts. Well, I guess the saying is true "you do learn something new everyday."
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 PM #8
FLpaintballer23
REEFER

FLpaintballer23 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
FLpaintballer23 plays in the APPA beginner division
FLpaintballer23 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks for the input everyone. The gun will be using HPA by the way. After reading all of these comments i think i am going to look into a new bolt and a faster hopper. Thanks!
FLpaintballer23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 PM #9
xXAceStatusXx
Did i win?

xXAceStatusXx is playing at Living Legends V
xXAceStatusXx is playing at Living Legends VI
xXAceStatusXx supports Team VICIOUS
xXAceStatusXx is attending Decay of Nations VI
I had a sonix for my first gun to. My choice would to not upgrade it, maybe a barrel, but chances are you won't have that gun very long. I had mine for a month before I got a new gun. Maybe a proto slg or Spyder vs2 vs3 if you want to stick with Spyder. Just a suggestion. And remember, the price of a gun doesn't matter, as long as you like it.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 PM #10
JessiRambo
Bang!Bang!clickclick WTF?

Do ALL the same upgrades in my sig!
-ESP Trigger Frame/T-Board-Checkit Trigger-Dye StickyGrips-14" Evil Pipe Kit-Superfly Bolt-Hybrid Clamp Feedneck-ND Bullet Volumizer-ND HP Valve-CP Rail Adaptor-CP Drop Rail-ND UL On/Off Asa-Torp Reg-32*Spring Kit-Drilled VA-Lightened Striker
DM4+5
Feedback
JessiRambo is offline   Reply With Quote