Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is playing at Living Legends VII
Castro #66 supports Bob Gurnsey
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Castro #66 is attending Decay of Nations VII
PUMP Frequently Asked Questions

Whether you're new to pump play or are thinking of trying it out, the information in this thread is sure to help. There is also a separate Pump Markers Forum with plenty of information about pump guns, and friendly members willing to help.
  • Are pump guns more accurate?
The simple answer is "no".

The real answer is: All markers have the potential to shoot with equal accuracy. Accuracy in paintball is probably better described as "precision", which is dependent on consistency. High consistency can be reached by doing a number of things:
1. Buy FRESH paint. Best found at proshops, big box stores are a very poor source of quality ammo.
2. Buy the expensive stuff. This rule doesn't apply all the time, but chances are the more you pay, the better the ball's shape, fill and shell will be.
3. Use regulators and regulated air systems. CO2 is cheaper, and you definitely get more shots per volume, but HPA is absolutely the better choice for overall performance. Regulators supplement the gun's valve by supplying a set amount of pressure. Generally speaking, if you use two regulators (in-line and tank) you're ensuring yourself the most consistent air flow with the most flexibility.
4. Buy a barrel kit. While not an absolute "must", a barrel system with a range of bores to match to your paint of the day can be very effective in controlling your chronograph numbers and squirrely shots.
  • What if I don't want to use a barrel kit?
There are a few other options out there, but both essentially function the same. The idea is to hold the ball in the same spot in front of the bolt before every shot, improving consistency.
The first involves using 3 drops of fingernail polish in your barrel, equally spaced around the inner diameter. The type of gun you're using will change the exact depth to place these drops. On a Sniper/Cocker, place them no farther than 1/8 of an inch into the barrel. For any gun with a bolt face that enters the barrel before the shot, you will need to place the drops at least half an inch in, sometimes farther.
The second method only works with SOME threaded barrels. Take a 1/2"-3/4" square of electrical tape and fold it over the lip of the back (threaded) end of the barrel, half outside, half inside. You may choose to do this twice, opposite of the first piece. Also, depending on the size of your barrel's diameter, you may need to use a slightly longer piece of tape. In this case, you should fold the first third over the second third to bolster the "detent" you are creating inside the barrel, then stick the final third to the outside of the barrel, folding the bolstered half into the barrel.
  • What gear should I buy?
It's been asked and answered a million times, yet there is absolutely no right answer. With a market so flooded with fantastic companies and products, it's impossible to someone identify the "best" product for any other person. There are a handful of companies that stand out in one or more ways, but nothing is perfect. It all boils down to personal preference. Believe me when I say that despite my many years of pump paintball experience, what I choose for myself cannot possibly suit everyone else.
  • Should I play Open Class or Stock Class?
For all the things to consider when deciding between the two, weigh this: "If playing pump is 'Hard', playing stock class is 'Expert'." This doesn't mean that stock class players are any better than others, they just have to try harder.
  • What upgrades or parts does my gun need?
Chances are if it shoots a paintball near 300 feet per second, you should be able to get by. Fancy pump kits, bolts, valves and grip frames don't make as much difference as playing experience does. The single greatest improvement a person can make to their gun is consistency, as outlined above. The second best investment would have to be paintballs, and time to shoot them. Experience is a sure way to improve your game.

Last edited by Castro #66 : 10-20-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2012, 01:42 PM #2
Hoov661

props! great job on this thread
Hoov661 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:14 PM #3
arabpb

arabpb owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
arabpb is for the Gunfight
arabpb is for the Gunfight
hey man this is really good info thank you
arabpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:23 AM #4
bobcat7575
bobcat7575

bobcat7575 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bobcat7575 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bobcat7575 supports DLX Technology
bobcat7575 supports Empire
Great!

I'm getting back into pump!
bobcat7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM #5
protoaj

protoaj owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
protoaj supports Team VICIOUS
What's the differences

being new to pump, what is the differences between "open" & "stock" class?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 PM #6
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by protoaj View Post
being new to pump, what is the differences between "open" & "stock" class?
In essence, it's the difference between using a hopper and using something like a 10 round tube. There are many rules to each depending on who you talk to.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 PM #7
protoaj

protoaj owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
protoaj supports Team VICIOUS
Reading more into pump, sometimes I come across descriptions of an auto trigger on a pump gun. What does that mean?
Old 06-16-2012, 12:09 PM #8
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Annual Supporting Member
Castro #66 is Legendary
There are many ways it can operate, but in essence, the user can hold the trigger down and simply pump the gun to fire at the front of the pump stroke. Also known as "slam-firing".