Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-10-2012, 07:47 AM #1
DangerManXX
DangerMan

Bonus Balling Payback

Is it right? Is it wrong?

What''s your argument for or against?

If the question isn't clear, I'll paint an example.
You are in a bunker. Head is turned away. You get shot from the blind side for whatever reason, the paint keeps coming. You are getting tattooed up and down your side and arm to head. After 7 or 8 paintballs you stop counting.

Do you get up and shoot up the person who shot you, or do you put your hand up?
Bottom line when someone has no reason to over-shoot you and does (generally they offer a lame excuse later such as, "You didn't call yourself out" - never giving you time to call yourself out. LOL) ... well do you bonus ball payback or do nothing?
Pinterest: DangerManXX
Instagram: DangerManXX
Facebook: DangerMans Lair
DangerManXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2012, 08:19 AM #2
Nahib_Stilgar

Put your hand up, walk off the field but take note of who did it. Then go to the ref and tell them to watch out for it.

Next step, Talk to the field owner.

Next step, take your money to a new field.

Fighting back, only makes it worse and raises the number of shots you will take next time.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 AM #3
Enter The Nutty

Enter The Nutty owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Enter The Nutty has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
it happens...just take note who it was and kindly repay them. I usually let them know I see who did it and give them a "That's all right! I think I'll need a dozen to get you next!"
Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 AM #4
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
I don't think it's right and I've never bonus balled a person in over 20 years of playing. However, I don't think you are going to change the basic nature of people''s character. Some people are going to think it's alright to deal out vigilante justice, others are not. I was taught it is not right, so I don't. Others are taught at an early age that it is OK (and even good) to take matters into their own hands and fight back against bullies.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:52 PM #5
Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I don't think it's right and I've never bonus balled a person in over 20 years of playing. However, I don't think you are going to change the basic nature of people''s character. Some people are going to think it's alright to deal out vigilante justice, others are not. I was taught it is not right, so I don't. Others are taught at an early age that it is OK (and even good) to take matters into their own hands and fight back against bullies.
i was taught halfway between that... repay in kind, but don't be excessive. if someone bonus-balls me all to hell, the next chance i had against them, i'd do about half as many rounds that they did to me. if they complained, i'd show them what they did to me, and say 'be glad i didn't go all out on you, like you did to me'

its only happened once, but the person agreed and never bonus-balled (me, at least) again.
'03 Shocker
'02 Shocker
PVI Shocker
I am Mr. Wizard of the Viking Militia
Mr. Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:09 PM #6
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports our troops
A lot of "tournament" teams believe in the "shoot them, and keep shooting them until they raise their hand or get pulled" thing. It happens a lot. I've never seen any retaliation for that, though.

In rec ball, a lot of us "old timers" who started the field, were on the same team and spent time reffing there as part of our sponsorship deal, kind of protected noobs on the field. If someone with more experience was lighting up noobs pretty heavily, some of us would retaliate. We tried to keep the noobs coming back weekend after weekend - they're the bread and butter of a field.

Me, I didn't believe in retaliation like that. I'd give the person a pretty major butt chewing with the threat that if they didn't stop, I'd play against him and light him up myself. Never had to follow up on it. But others would actually make him pay on the field for it.

Long story short, there are ways to stop it from happening. It's a matter of who runs your field and how they run it.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:34 PM #7
pembo0630
Mizzou

pembo0630 is playing at Living Legends V
pembo0630 is playing at Living Legends VI
pembo0630 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
pembo0630 is a top reviewer
There are more effective ways to get people to stop doing it that do not antagonize them more. Keep note of who it is and talk to them after the game; make it clear that you saw what they did, make it clear that you believe it is unsportsmanlike, and warn them that if it happens again you will talk to a ref or shoot them yourself. This is particularly effective if it is someone on your team.

It's easy to get frustrated and lose your temper. Ultimately, a conversation with the player is the best option, and if need be you can inform the refs/owners.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:15 PM #8
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
tournament shooting them until they stop is less of a bonus ball to me. If you put one on a player running down snake, they are going to try to trade with your snake player no matter what. Putting enough balls in him to make him stop is different. Bonus Balling in recball is not the same and should not happen really. If you bonus ball someone in rec ball it only makes them think that this is acceptable. One ball all day, regardless of how many times they shot you.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 PM #9
jweav151

Bonus baling and overshooting are kind of part of the game. I think the most important thing to consider, though, is the manner in which it was done and how the shooter responds. I bonus balled a dude today completely by accident; he was crouched with his hands up behind a tall bunker, so all I saw was his torso and hips. When I saw that he was already out before I shot him I apologized. I also saw a dude lay a rope on a guy's blind side in speedball and when the guy said WTF, the kid told him it was his own fault for being so exposed. The shooter was a total jerk. He came around on the guy and had him completely by surprise, no idea he was there; A few semi auto shots would have done it, absolutely no need to walking the trigger. Then he tells the guy the extra shots were his own fault.

I would have loved to see that kid get lit up and I'd like to think that because I didn't intentionally over shoot the guy I got and offered an apology afterwards, that it should just be considered part of the game.
jweav151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 PM #10
drunkpoptart
Evo X

drunkpoptart owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
drunkpoptart supports Team VICIOUS
drunkpoptart supports Team VICIOUS
drunkpoptart has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm sorry, but if someone bonus balls the hell out of me I'm going ot most likely call them out in mid game saying wtf is your prob... If they continue then I'm just gonna go ham and shoot my entire hopper into them and play at a different feild... If your bonus balling you have absolutely no skill and your just being a dbag.. No need to shoot someone 20 times.
drunkpoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:56 PM #11
MrStiK
shhhh! I'm Incognito

MrStiK owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I don't play semi, so I can't bonus ball, nor can I retaliate against bonus balling. But here are my 2 cents....

If there is a gun battle and you snap out and lay a strong rope, and if they all happen to hit the guy, is that bonus balling? The recipients often believe it is and get quite upset.

If you are in a position where multiple guns are pointed your way, (snake or anyplace in a big game) and you come out, it is very likely at least 1 of those guns may not know you are out and throw a few shots your way. I wouldn't consider that bonus balling, but the recipient may think so.

Then also keep in mind, if you got bonus balled, maybe it was in retaliation or something that happened earlier that day. Someone may have been keeping tabs on you and made a mental note to light you up.

I remember one incident in a private game we were playing. My friend announced to the group before the game started that if he is shot out, with the permission of the refs, he was going to become a game photographer. Now in that ensuing game, he got eliminated and proceeded to carry on as a photographer. He knows the hazard that comes with the job is getting hit once or twice. But he got lit up by one guy who later apologized for not realizing he was a photographer.

We all knew he didn't mean to, but come on.. there was about 10 shots in front and another 10 or so on his back as he turned away from the spray. The jackass was ramping. Next game, we came up against the guy, but all of us being pumps, had to pick and choose our time to try to get him. I made up my mind to bunker his *** with 2 to the top of the dome. Hard part was getting rid of the pesky players around him that would light me up on such a run. So we patiently plucked them all. And when the ref signaled 30 seconds, I made my run.. and when I crested over his hill, he was sitting there, barrel off his gun trying to clean it. I saw his dome and was about to get a few feet closer to pull the trigger, and the ref blew the game dead.

As I walked off the field, ref told me that he would give me "credit" for the kill, but he knew what I was going to do and had to stop it from happening. And he said he kind of wished he was someplace else so he wouldn't see it.....

Now that I had time to think about it... I should have done it.
MrStiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM #12
NoelyDeezNutz
Rebel against

NoelyDeezNutz plays in the USPL
NoelyDeezNutz plays in the PSP
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
NoelyDeezNutz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NoelyDeezNutz is a top reviewer
Overshooting is NOT bonus balling...

Please take the time out and learn the differences.

Overshooting is a burst of shots where the player being shot at is NOT out when the trigger is pulled at first.

Bonus balling is where a player is CLEARLY out and you start shooting him.

I overshoot *******s.
I bonus ball *******s.

In that regard, I don't care what gun you shoot, who you play for, or how many times you've played in the past... If you are an *******, you deserve to get shot to ****.
NoelyDeezNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:56 PM #13
sup'mango
Dallas

sup'mango supports Team VICIOUS
If I'm actually playing with an electro I'll shoot the **** out of someone who bonus balls me.

If I'm playing pump I can't do anything except shoot them next game
sup'mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 PM #14
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

If I get overshot, I'll overshoot back next game. Fair's fair.

Bonus ballers get a warning from me personally after the game. If it happens again, they get bonused the F up.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:24 PM #15
MrStiK
shhhh! I'm Incognito

MrStiK owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post

Overshooting is a burst of shots where the player being shot at is NOT out when the trigger is pulled at first.

I overshoot *******s.
I bonus ball *******s.

In that regard, I don't care what gun you shoot, who you play for, or how many times you've played in the past... If you are an *******, you deserve to get shot to ****.
Yes I know what bonus balling is. The OP described a scenario where it is overshooting where bonus balling would be a retaliation. I was describing different scenarios where people think they are being bonus balled but in reality are not. Most people do not differentiate bonus balling and overshooting.

In my RL scenario, I was going to give him 2 shots. 1 to eliminate, and the 2nd one was a bonus ball. In that scenario, as a pump bunkering a player, the 2nd shot is a premeditated shot that was not necessary done so with intent knowing he was already eliminated. Thus would constitute a bonus ball. It doesn't have to be many, just a way to get the message across.

I should have noted I play with a horizontal feed, so it would take a 2nd rock and cock and a trigger pull, so yes, it would be a bonus ball.
MrStiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 PM #16
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports our troops
Nah, just load two balls in the barrel. Done it several times!

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:16 AM #17
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
In tourneys yes in recball no point in it
2 Cyborg 6s, geo 3.5, luxe oled FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post84178345
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:46 AM #18
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
If you get shot and then you sit in your bunker, then you are going to get shot at more because the players doesn't know if you are out or not. That is part of the game. Put your hand up and get out of there if you are shot (and it breaks).

Now if you get shot and you already put your hand up/gun up over the bunker to signal you are out and the person still decides that you need an extra few shots, then the line has been crossed. Personally, I usually talk to the ref and let them know which player it is. I will also watch the player for the rest of the game to see if he/she just did it to me and it was an accident or if they are being a jerk and doing it to every players. If it was an accident, I usually approach the player myself and talk to them about it so that they know to be a little more careful and respect the issue (most players are very cool with this and are good about it in the future games). If someone is doing it continually (especially to new players or younger players) and they are negative when they are approached, I inform the head ref about the player, then I either get my electro and forget the surrender option (it is an option at our fields, not a rule) and go bunker them in the next game or (my favorite option ) I go get my pump and put one shot right between their eyes.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:00 AM #19
Xal
Red Text

Xal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Xal posts videos on PbNation
Xal has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Xal is attending Decay of Nations VI
if i get shot i get out, i don't ***** about it. like if its obvious that this person is overshooting you because he's an ******* then i'll just wait till next game and try to bunker him and shoot him as many times as i can in the back of the head during a run by
Xal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:16 AM #20
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelyDeezNutz View Post

I overshoot *******s.
I bonus ball *******s.

I came into this thread to basically say this ^^. Nobody had mentioned a true case of bonus balling yet in the thread. There is a BIG difference and it annoys me that they are used interchangably.

While overshooting is not good, it happens sometimes in the heat of the moment. When it happens ALL THE TIME from certain individuals that's where it crosses the line into bull**** territory. When I see that, I make it my mission to hose those players out of every game as early as possible so they have to sit on their ***** in the dead box for the rest of the day.

I WILL NOT however, bonus ball people. EVER. Bonus balling means to shoot someone AFTER they have signified they're out. That could be called ASSAULT/BATTERY in some cases.

I normally shoot 1-2 balls into someone. Occasionally I've hit people 6-8 times when they ran through my lane. Pure accident. There have been times where, due to an individual's shady behavior on the field (read: ignoring hits, wiping, sliding off hits) I've made the decision to no longer extend courtesy to that player. From that moment forward, with that individual, I stay on the trigger until a hand goes up.

In that case, I don't consider it overshooting either. It was necessary to light them up because they've demonstrated that one or two balls doesn't "count" with them. I would change my policy with such individuals if they ever came up to me to apologize for cheating, but that's seldom the nature of their character.

My $.02

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 PM #21
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

the paint keeps coming. You are getting tattooed up and down your side and arm to head. After 7 or 8 paintballs you stop counting.
Do you get up and shoot up the person who shot you, or do you put your hand up?
In my mind, the problem is not the guy trying to shoot you. It is you! As you asked in your question, PUT YOUR HAND UP fast and most people will stop shooting. Keep it down and they will keep shooting. You are NOT describing bonus balling.

You are assuming that the guy shooting saw the balls hit and break on you. In the woods that is often not the case. If you are tucked into some cover and he is landing shots, he can't tell if you're hit so he is going to keep shooting till that hand goes up.

There may be a few balls already in the air, so you might get a few even after you put your hand up, but signal quickly and you will get hit a lot less.