PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-03-2012, 03:27 PM #1
Hellf1ghter22

Number of guns I should buy

Aloha all,

I am starting a 10 acre (plus 2 acres for parking and staging) paintball field here on Maui. The field is along side one of the busiest roads on the island and centrally located. We have 120,000 residents in a one hour drive (144,000 island wide) and about 2.5 million visitors a year. There are no other paintball fields on the island due to the immense zoning restrictions. My question is how many Markers should I purchase? I was thinking about 150 but there are trade shows, conferences, and corporate retreats with participation numbers that are in the thousands. So how many markers should I get? Can I rent markers from tippmann for special events? Thank you all for your continual support and help
Hellf1ghter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2012, 03:44 PM #2
GatSplat

I would say buy as you go. For example... we started with 40.. the first weekend we ran out... had to make people wait a bit... then we got 20 more... then when we were running low there, we got 20 more, etc.

As far as large conferences, etc... you can handle that without guns for all if you do it right. Let's be honest, you are not going to have a game of 500 vs 500 probably. First, you'll find that corporate retreats will not have 100% participation in something like paintball... and then all you do is break the groups into teams of half the number of guns you have, then do a little round robin event.

Example, 300 people, but you only have 100 guns. Set up 6 teams... set up 2 teams with guns and have them play, when they return, give the guns to the next 2 teams... etc.

We have done that with groups that were bigger than the quantity of guns we had and it worked fine.

One bit of advice from my Father... "You will get a thousands chances to under expand your business. You only get to over expand it once."

Good words to live by for new entrepreneurs.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:55 PM #3
Hellf1ghter22

Okay, seems like good advice, I will start at 100 and then work my way up. The visitor industry is hungry for activities here, in fact thats one of the things our island is known for. I hope we get overrun with visitors but we will survive if its a nominal amount.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:17 PM #4
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
I agree with everything Larry said. You will probably have a bigger issue with masks, as getting people to share masks is rather icky. But masks are cheaper, so it's easier to quickly stock up on extra masks if needed.

We also started with 40 and that was too many for quite a while, but since have added and added when needed. Now we are running with 150 and that seems to be where we need to be right now. But it took several years before we needed that many.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 PM #5
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball is playing at Living Legends VII
The new local field started with 50 and found out quick that they needed to go to 100.. they also took the advice and started out with 100+ masks

7pbA wants to buy your used gear!

Certified Planet Eclipse & Tippmann Tech Center
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:02 PM #6
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Having to quickly get more equipment if needed is a good problem. Having invested way too much for gear not needed is an expense that can be avoided.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:52 AM #7
Hellf1ghter22

So buy twice as many masks as markers or 1.5x as many?
Old 06-04-2012, 07:24 AM #8
GatSplat

Start with 1.5 and adjust as you go

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 AM #9
swat-paintball

50 rental is a good for us we dont have multiple gorup at the same time we always have few new mask, some costumer like to pay a bit more and get a new mask, mask cost us about 20$ and we charge 10$ for new mask rental that some time we can reuse it twice as new mask then just put it with the other one it help keeping our mask fleet like new
swat-paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 AM #10
dannyrambo

dannyrambo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dannyrambo is for the Gunfight
something i could suggest is since most of your players are going to be tourist then rent out jumpsuits (like what he mechanics wear) since everyone coming probably hadnt planed to play paintball and didn't have the right clothes
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM #11
Hellf1ghter22

Yeah, I was planning on getting camalls, they are perfect for the year round 80 degree weather.