PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 AM #1
voodooaddict
Limited Paint Play Zealot

voodooaddict is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Cool Current Dual Pistol Rig setup for the '12 season.

Disclaimer - This isn't intended to a step-by-step/how-to guide on setting your own rig up the same way. Nor am I a paintball god dictating that if you don't follow my example you will burn in dead-box hell for many seasons. Nor do I claim to be the first or only person to come up with some of these ideas.Nor is this intended as bragging of my skill for I know there are those far better than I. Just trying to give people ideas for their own setups. Thank goodness rig setups for pistols are such a personal thing... so much fun trial and error.

I've loved playing dual pistol the past couple years. But it does have a serious drawback over the simplicity of single pistol. No free hand to catch an ejected magazine and reload. I often have to set down one of the pistols to reload. I'm hoping this season with my new rig setup, I'll won't need two hands for a reload nearly as often. Another bonus of the new setup is nothing is actually attached to my pants belt, I can easily take off all the gear and relax for a game or two in the worst of the summer heat. (Plus, no more running to bunker someone to loose my pants halfway there due to a full dump pouch pulling at just the wrong moment. <DOH!>)

Onto the details:

12 Mags in eight M4 pouches on shoulder supported, vest like, Chest rig, attached to molle belt. Center 4 mag pouches with 2 mags each, outer 4 with one mag each. For first strike only, I've got 7 first strike mags, with the center two M4 pouches doubled up and the outer M4 pouches for 10 round tubes filled with 12 FSR each. The rig is the result of some good deals on used gear at the army surplus store and some time sitting at a sewing machine, knowing that if I screwed something up, I wouldn't ruin something expensive shiny and new. Most components of the rig were originally ACU. I dyed it brown, giving it an almost dark brown digital camo look. Not necessarily going to always play with 12 mags, but for larger games I have the option. Technically, I could double up on the 4 outer pouches making it 16 total, but that jutted out a bit too much and interfered with the "no look, one handed" use of the dump pouches. Doubling up on the outermost pouch also makes the holster draw more difficult.

2 Pistols in Full Clip holsters on old leather belt. Modified to sit at a forward angle. Angle allows an easy holstering/drawing for either my short, light and shiny x.0s or my sighted and Flasc "mock suppressed" 9.1/8.1 combo. Isn't intended to be a holster angle/setup for running/diving/sliding at a full tilt while the pistols are holstered. This is more for between games walking to/from the fields. Waiting in the deadbox, ect, ect. If I'm running, I'm expecting both pistols to be in hand. You'll also notice that the mag wells sit almost vertically ... more on that later.

No Look Mag ejection directly into 2 Dump pouches. Modified to stay open just enough for the mags to eject right into them one handed. But not too much so that mags easily fall back out. Previously, I would just eject to the ground when using duals, then collect after the game. Ejecting straight to the ground is very satisfying, but that only works well for small quick games at my trusted field. I need the dump pouches for the larger/longer scenario games. (Or ejecting FS mags... I don't like ejecting those to the ground since I spend almost twice as much per mag on them.)

The unexpected star of the show... No Look, One handed, Reloads. Thanks to the orientation of the holsters, the mag well is nearly vertical. I'll be able to reload the pistols independently of each other while keeping a bead on potential targets. In truth this was not the original intention of reorganizing the rig for this season. This was an amazing side effect that came out of lots of trial and error finding a holster config that worked well for all of my pistol setups.

I haven't had a chance to play with it in this config yet. But I have put it through more then a few paces in my treadmill test (jogging 1.5 miles with it fully loaded) and it stays put and remains comfortable. I've also practiced with a few hundred no look reloads and holstering/drawing over the last two weeks. The new one handed no look reload process is not quite reflex yet, nor as fast as reloading a single pistol setup using two hands. But I already feel it's much quicker and has significant benefits then my previous "methods" of reloading with dual pistols. I say "methods" loosely because most of the time it involved setting one of the pistols into the dirt to have both hands free. With dedicated practice I'm hoping this will become a reflex like action. Effectively removing my last drawback of using dual pistols.

Update - I originally put this thread together about a week ago for the Tiberius official forums... Since that time I decided to post it here as well. As a bonus I can also add how the drills/training with it has been going. I have to say I'm very happy with the setup and can hardly wait to get into a few games with it. I've been doing dozens of drills daily with both sets of pistols. I do it with one hand while holding aim with a pistol in the other hand. Forcing myself to get by both with one hand, and and also with a split concentration from holding aim. It's helped... I've become quicker and more confident. I'm hoping that once the season really gets rolling the process will be more of a reflex. The point so far where the most time is lost is getting a new mag from the pouch.
  1. Eject to dump pouch
  2. Holster
  3. Grab Mag from pouch
  4. Load mag into holstered pistol
  5. Draw loaded pistol

Not shown - Pursuit pod on belt when not using first strikes. Elastic straps for 12 grams on left wrist/arm for scenarios.

To Do List - Acquire/Add small water bottle pouch or H2O system for long scenario games. Add Utility/ID pouch for Phone/Cash/Displaying scenario credentials.

Temptation - Also get a small/light MCR3 chest rig from GMAN1 for shorter games. Set it up with four black M4 pouches I've got laying around for a max of 6-8 mags.
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.
voodooaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 PM #2
splatthetick

Awesome rollout, Voodoo! Love the one hand reload!
splatthetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 AM #3
shadow one
Team-PAIN

very nice. i like seeing different mag carry set-ups.

slightly off-topic, but what are those red dots on your 8.1's?
shadow one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM #4
voodooaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow one View Post
slightly off-topic, but what are those red dots on your 8.1's?
Size is perfect for still being able to holster them. Small light, and durable.

The one on the 9.1 is an Aimpoint Micro knockoff I picked up used with the 9.1 (very nice knockoff, but still). No idea on it's original source.

The other, on the 8.1, is a VISM (New Branding for NCStar) similar but different then the Aimpoint Micro as it adds an intigrated laser on top:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KW3WXA

The rail on the 8.1 is from Fixxer. You can PM him on the Tiberius Official forums, or on MCB.

I was going to pickup another Aimpoint Micro knockoff from one of the Chinese airsoft websites... but after waiting a few weeks they told me they were out of stock. Happened across the VISM sight and for $20 more then I could get the unknown knockoffs, I could get it from amazon very quickly. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. The dot is larger and brighter then the knockoff.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:17 PM #5
Unlucky_Irish

Sick!

Def digging the setup but a few questions. I know akimbo assassin used to us t8s or t9s and now uses the tpx, why'd you chose dual t8.1 and t9.1? Debating whether to pick up another tib to run dual or grab dual tipxs (most likely still won't be giving up the t9.1). Also how is it using only FS rounds as a pistol? I know they're "deadly" when used in a rifle format but not many at my field use FS, and almost none in a pistol format. Haven't tried myself personally in play yet as the fields are either small enough to where reg balls work or too fast paced to make the extra range on the larger fields worth it. Oh and that pursuit pod looks interesting. How do ya like it and how's its size compared to a reg pod? And play in that setup yet or make any tweaks?
Unlucky_Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM #6
voodooaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky_Irish View Post
Def digging the setup but a few questions. I know akimbo assassin used to us t8s or t9s and now uses the tpx, why'd you chose dual t8.1 and t9.1? Debating whether to pick up another tib to run dual or grab dual tipxs (most likely still won't be giving up the t9.1). Also how is it using only FS rounds as a pistol? I know they're "deadly" when used in a rifle format but not many at my field use FS, and almost none in a pistol format. Haven't tried myself personally in play yet as the fields are either small enough to where reg balls work or too fast paced to make the extra range on the larger fields worth it. Oh and that pursuit pod looks interesting. How do ya like it and how's its size compared to a reg pod? And play in that setup yet or make any tweaks?
To answer some of your questions ...
  • I use 8.1/9.1's specifically for first strikes. I don't like lugging around a big rifle for FS. Prefer the high mobility of pistols. They have scored some nice long range hits. Actually been using the 8.1/9.1s on dual remotes... two 4oz CO2 tanks. Get around 100 shots per fill. They have already paid for themselves vs 12 gram cost.
  • Just about everything I've got in softgoods can be used with either the Tiberius or TiPX. One of these days I'll pickup a pair of TiPX. It's been proven to me that, like the Tiberius, they are a solid pistol. And I'm a sucker for good limited paint/Pistol play.
  • Only thing not to like about the pursuit pod is that it'd just a hair to thick for my M4 pouches... That's not a big deal though use an old 100 round pod belt pouch to carry it.
  • I've played with the larger chest rig above a few times this year. The only problem I've found thus far with the whole setup is I need larger dump pouch(es). While standing or kneeling the existing ones work well. However, most of the time I'm contorted in a way that's difficult to use them as-is.

... I've also been experimenting with a lighter weight chest rig for running 4-6 mags in smaller games.

Military Supply Basic Molle Chest Rig - Black
(Holster on the above pic was to see if it would fit and at the request of others for reviewing the chest rig. I use the smaller rig with the same belt as in the original post for dump/holster/one-handed reload.)

I was putting in an order at rockstar and was just a bit short of free shipping so I impulse bought a small angled chest rig that they had for under $20.

The good thoughts...
  • It feels like it will be sufficiently durable.
  • The angled molle straps are a cool feature. To get that on other chest rigs you'd need an 45 degree plate on top of the base layer.
  • Very easy to adjust to various sized people. Only 2 straps to quickly adjust the fit. Other chest rigs and vests have 4+ points of adjustment and take much longer to adjust to large size differences. It will make a great loaner rig for petite gals and 3xl fellas like myself.

The bad...
  • The molle doesn't line up well with ... well any of the molle gear that I've got.
  • The openings are also very small and tight making changing things around to find the right setup for you extremely tedious and difficult.
  • There are only 4 retention points with very thin 2" webbing on the chest rig as opposed to 6 on most of the Condor and military surplus chest rigs I'm used to seeing. This makes it less stable with heavy load-outs.
  • Like 45 degree adapter plates, the outer 1" edge is pretty much useless to weave molle due to far too many half sized openings. So the usable space is much smaller then the dimensions would imply.

Tips...
  • Use it along with Full Clip gear, other molle gear with very soft easy to weave straps, or items using the thin mallice attachment strips. Condor and other misc millitary surplus gear's molle straps were thick, rigid, and painful to fit through this thing.
  • 4 mags is the most I'd carry on this with heavy Tiberius mags. I tried 6 mags (3 m4 pouches) but that didn't work as well as 4. Even though 3 m4 pouches within the space and it sagged/moved around too much with that much weight.
  • Use with lighter setups like 10 round tubes or TPX mags might be a better application then heavy Tiberius mags.

Conclusion ... for under $20 it was an great little addition to my growing softgood collection. Fun way for me to use some of those spare mag pouches. If you've got some spare pouches that you don't often use and can leave them on this thing (reducing molle rework), it will make a great loaner/alternate rig for the $$. I don't think I would recommend it as someone's only rig. There's too many little problems/limitations with it. For me this is going to double as loaner for pistol mags and limited paint rig for an automag with a 30-50 round hopper and APP 30 round tubes.

Next on the "chest rigs to try" list is the MCR3 from Condor... I have a feeling it could be the balance between this ultra light and my larger rig.

Last edited by voodooaddict : 03-26-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 AM #7
voodooaddict

I finally put together a Condor MCR3 rig...

• Condor MCR3
  • Condor Folding Dump Pouch - Centrally located to hopefully protect the gonads. Also hanging off the chest rig and not the belt. Important for holding the weight of the spent mags.
  • 2x Full Clip Triple Mag Pouches - Fits perfectly on the MCR3
  • 2x Full Clip Holsters aligned at 45deg.
  • Full Clip Belt - The velco on the belt helps to hold them in the 45deg position.
(Not pictured: Pursuit Pod, in M4 pouch at the back, on the MCR3's midsection strap.)

I know, I know. Some Olive Drab holsters would make it perfect, but I already had the black ones.

Get to try it out with the Full Clip mag Pouches in a few hours. Much more comfortable and lighter then my other large rig. Much more usable and better capacity then the small chest rig.

The only negative so far (and it's a bit of a nitpick) is that it's not likely a nice a loaner rig as the small angled chest rig I tried before. That had two adjustment points and they were very easy to quickly (seconds) change from accommodating a x-small to a 3XL person. The MCR3 has 6 points of adjustment, and they are well secured to not change while you are using it. Keeps it very stable and comfortable. This also makes handing it off to a buddy with dimensions very different from yours very time consuming.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM #8
motherboard1

Where can I get those dump pouches? @ op

Last edited by motherboard1 : 05-01-2012 at 02:27 PM.
motherboard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:14 PM #9
CIamonaco

CIamonaco is playing at Living Legends VI
CIamonaco has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks I'll have to try this next time when I'm running a pistol setup!
CIamonaco is offline   Reply With Quote