Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM #1
Defa1t

Back into the game

Hello, Im not sure if this is the spot that i should be posting this but im pretty sure it is. Anyways Im not necessarily new to paintball. I used to play some 8-9 years ago. It got too expensive to keep up with and the lack of people around me who play kind of made it hard to stick with. Now that I am a little older and a little smarter I feel like this is a good time in my life to find something like this to get into.

My problem with it is I have no idea what to buy. The equipment seem like its been progressing over the years and i guess im just looking for suggestions. I dont know anyone who plays and i dont want to talk to some salesman about what he thinks i should buy cause i already know he wants me to buy the most expensive thing on the rack. So Im asking you, the players, what would you suggest someone getting back into paintball to buy.

Thanks to everyone who responds!
Defa1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM #2
IrishNinja6
US Air Force

Annual Supporting Member
IrishNinja6 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
IrishNinja6 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IrishNinja6 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I am reaquiring gear as well, and the route I chose is instead of spending big money on one or two $900 guns, I bought 4 mid end markers, and 2 tanks and hoppers. I went with a Mech Cocker (for drills/paint conservation days), an Ebladed Cocker (a personal Favorite, and tournament quality), a 08PMR(to have a closed bolt electro as a backup), and a Phantom, cause I want a pump. I spent less than $800 on everything I wanted, including tanks and hoppers, and those guns are more than capable of keeping up in todays game.

hope it helps

EDIT: Keep in mind that anything you purchase used will possibly need to be fixed. most people here dont sell you their problems, but there are, and will always be some. Also, most paintball store owners ive dealt with dont push the expensive stuff, because they know theyll make more money off of you if they get you to the field within your price range so you can drill through a few cases and line their wallets.

My WTB list: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3806383
Pay my bills gearbag sale!
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4029265

Last edited by IrishNinja6 : 05-23-2012 at 08:18 PM.
IrishNinja6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM #3
cab0053

You don't need to spend $100/200 on a hopper. And a comfortable mask with a thermal lens is key. Get a gun that you know how to maintain. Hpa is easier and more affordable now.
cab0053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:30 PM #4
pembo0630
Mizzou

pembo0630 is playing at Living Legends V
pembo0630 is playing at Living Legends VI
pembo0630 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
pembo0630 is a top reviewer
Here is a great thread relating to the order in which you should buy your gear:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3655911
Have a gander at that. We can talk all we want on here, but this thread pretty well lays it all out for you.

In general, you need to start off with a GOOD mask. As high end as you can possibly afford, I would not hesitate to spend $100 on a good pair of goggles.
Empire Events, Sly Profits, Dye i4's, V-Force Grillz, JT Proflex masks...get a solid mask with a good thermal lens. These will not only last you for a long time but will also be very comfortable.

After getting a mask, a hopper is a pretty solid next purchase. The only exception would be if you're planning on buying a Tippmann and staying in the woods exclusively as I am (Cyclone feeds suffice).

Make your way over to that topic I linked to. That will answer most of your questions.

Oh, and welcome back.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 AM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Yep, start with the mask. I like my Visible Impacts, but I4s, Flexs, and essentially every other mask mentioned above is a good option.
With the mask taken care of, get a tank and hopper. If you play woodsball, the hopper isn't really going to matter too tremendously, as the need for sustained high rates of fire is not often encountered, and a gravity hopper or a cheap electronic hopper can more than keep up with a few trigger pulls. Now, for speedball, you'll need something a little faster. The Halo B is a good option, I have one myself. It feeds fast enough for about any marker at tournament speeds, and when you couple it with a speedfeed and Rip Drive, you'll be unstoppable. As for tanks, I always recommend a Ninja. They're durable, adjustable, and they're made in the USA! Get a 4500 rather than a 3000, you'll be happier in the end.
Now, the gun. For woodsball, can't beat a Tippmann. They're durable, they're accurate, and they're upgradeable out the wazoo. Spyders or other Spyder clones like Viewloaders are very good recreational markers. They never break and they're easy to maintain.
Now, for speedball, that's another story. An Empire Axe is a good option, as well as the Invert Mini, the PMR or Rail, the Etek 3, and of course, the AutoCocker. All of these are designed specifically for the speedball market, and most people who play speedball today have something similar.

After all this, you get into packs and clothing. I play woodsball mostly, so I use either a vest or a 5+2 pack, and this carries enough paint for a good long couple games or a few intense firefights. I like the NXE packs, the Ninja Critical pack, and the Dye packs. For clothing, I usually wear ACU stuff, but Dye and Valken make good jerseys and pants that give you good freedom of movement and some are even padded at the elbows and knees.
One thing people never cover, though, are gloves. I use cheap fingerless Wells-Lamont gloves from Wal-Mart, but they work amazingly. When you get gloves, don't get ones with the plastic ribs or armor on the knuckles. They restrict your fingers and don't really do much other than dampen the impact from hand shots. Get fingerless ones. Ever tried to walk the trigger with full-finger gloves? It doesn't work too well...darn near impossible with some brands of glove. So, get gloves.

I hope this covered a lot of what you needed, if it didn't, just ask someone and they'll answer your question!
Noah

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 AM #6
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
Also, lots have changed since then.

Poppet valves and Spool valves (marker types) haev evolved incredibly since then...

So much that even a low-end marker is pretty damn good and is enough to keep you competing with more advanced markers and players (as long as you know how to play )

Pump has also evolved quite a bit.

Definitely spend some time looking at the new and the not as new as well.

By the way, Smart Parts and WDP went into the ****ter.

SP came back as GoG (stupid name, whatever. Their guns are good now that Bill's gone )

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 AM #7
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
^Don't forget about WGP, Viewloader, and all those other companies bought up by Kee...

Rocking drop-forwards like they're going out of style...oh, wait...
Proud Pumper since 2011
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:07 AM #8
cpotten

cpotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM #9
KillerBreed
Infernal Fury

KillerBreed owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
KillerBreed is for the Gunfight
KillerBreed is for the Gunfight
I'm in the same boat as you. I was given a Dye I3, whcih seems to work decently, and i got a halo B haha i know kinda old. Gun wise, i went with a 2011 proto rail, and i'm in the processs of getting a invert mini. i used to play back in 06-08, and even in those few years A LOT has changed. make sure you know how to break down your marker and clean and lube it aswell! don't open it up blind to it. The mini and rail seem to be decent mid priced guns, in my opinion that is.
KillerBreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 PM #10
Defa1t

Thats funny that you suggested reading that because right after i posted this i went browsing the forum and stumbled upon that. What Yelosno said is probably what is kinda scaring me the most. Everything seems like its been evolving in the short time i havent been playing. I will have to read up on it some more. Personally ill probably enjoy playing more speedball but where i live theres no way i can get out of playing a little woodsball. And everyone seems to agree that with the mask not to buy anything cheap and to get the best you can which i agree with completely. I guess i shouldnt be suprised that paintball is keeping up with the times. Thanks a lot guys. Any other info you guys feel like you missed is always welcome or just things you feel like i should know before i start buying things.
Defa1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 AM #11
Cwayne10

I am also in the same boat... Starting again but this time bcuz my oldest so(16) is picking it up. Luckily I still have alot of my gear. My 05 Dynasty Shocker is still money. But its more finding affordable/comparable stuff for him. I still have3 proflex masks and was given a Sly Profit. Love the feel and fit of the Profit but not as pretty as my proflex. Just picked up an 09 proto for my son for $100 and re-hydro'd my tanks.... May get a new gun but guns havent changed too much mechanically, i feel anyway. Might get one just to have something new
Cwayne10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM #12
cam6395
Dye til I Die

cam6395 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cam6395 is for the Gunfight
cam6395 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cam6395 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Check my thread, lots of decent stuff to start with
cam6395 is offline   Reply With Quote