PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM #1
iwasaccident
McLovin

iwasaccident helped look for balloons
my local field.....

ok by "local" i mean its 20 miles from my house, there are no others remotley as close. And heres the thing, we work 8 hours for.........................2 bags of paint. Sunday refs (5hrs work) get 1 bag.

Whats more is even if we use both bags normal pricing (20), (40/8) it only works out to $5 a hour which is below even minimum wage. I mean, we have fun times but still would it hurt that much to not cheap out on workers/refs.

Last edited by iwasaccident : 03-25-2011 at 11:22 PM.
iwasaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM #2
stalefishsk8er

stalefishsk8er supports Team VICIOUS
stalefishsk8er is for the Gunfight
stalefishsk8er supports Pev's Paintball
well you got put in play the rental prices and price for a case of paint not a bag of paint
Old 03-21-2011, 12:26 PM #3
Lanarchy

It all depends on what they 'hired' you for.
If you're an actual worker, as in you filled out a W-2 form and all that, then that is below minimum wage and illegal.
If you are 'volunteering your time' then it's perfectly fine. Shady, and manipulative, but perfectly legal.

I am no lawyer or tax/labor official. Take it for my opinion
Lanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 PM #4
stalefishsk8er

stalefishsk8er is for the Gunfight
stalefishsk8er supports Pev's Paintball
my boss pays us "under the table" style and i worked 6 hours my first day and got paid $36 cash=$6 an hour

Last edited by stalefishsk8er : 06-12-2011 at 09:00 PM.
stalefishsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:33 PM #5
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanarchy View Post
It all depends on what they 'hired' you for.
If you're an actual worker, as in you filled out a W-2 form and all that, then that is below minimum wage and illegal.
If you are 'volunteering your time' then it's perfectly fine. Shady, and manipulative, but perfectly legal.

I am no lawyer or tax/labor official. Take it for my opinion
If it is a small business then each state has a lower minimum wage for small businesses [it all depends on gross income for the company during each fiscal year]. There may also be a separate minimum wage if you are under a certain age [usually under 20].

In Minnesota, for example:
Training wage may be paid to new employees under the age of 20 during their first 90 days of employment [$4.90/hour]
Small employers with annual sales volume of less than $500,000 and not engaged in interstate commerce [$5.25/hour]
Federally covered employers are businesses with annual dollar volume of business of $500,000 or engaged in interstate commerce [$7.25/hour]

Since you are not receiving financial payment and not paying income tax, you're not an 'employee', and minimum wage doesn't apply to you. Also, don't forget, if you receive cash you have to report it as income when tax season rolls around.
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 PM #6
Lanarchy

I don't get how it is lower than the federal minimum wage. State laws shouldn't override that. Federal minimum wage should apply, no matter what.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/minimumwage.htm
Quote:
The federal minimum wage for covered nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. The federal minimum wage provisions are contained in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Many states also have minimum wage laws. In cases where an employee is subject to both the state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher of the two minimum wages.
Now, there's all sorts of loopholes from exempt, and whatnot, so it may fall in there. I've no experience with those type of laws or employment, first I've heard of it actually. That seems, horrible to employees.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm#Minnesota
Confirms it, not that I doubted you, but I've never heard of that. That's interesting. Remind me to never move to Minnesota.

Last edited by Lanarchy : 03-22-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Lanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:41 PM #7
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanarchy View Post
I don't get how it is lower than the federal minimum wage. State laws shouldn't override that. Federal minimum wage should apply, no matter what.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/minimumwage.htm

Now, there's all sorts of loopholes from exempt, and whatnot, so it may fall in there. I've no experience with those type of laws or employment, first I've heard of it actually. That seems, horrible to employees.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm#Minnesota
Confirms it, not that I doubted you, but I've never heard of that. That's interesting. Remind me to never move to Minnesota.
You're better off in MN than in some other states. You should check out Oklahoma, the Virgin Islands, Montana.

Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi, South Carolina, and Tennessee don't enforce any minimum wage. There are also a lot of states that if the business fits certain criteria they don't enforce minimum wage:
- Arkansas: if the employer has less than 4 employees
- Georgia: if the employer has less than 6 employees
- Illinois: if the employer has less than 4 employees, family excluded
- Indiana: if the employer has less than 2 employees
- Michigan: if the employer has less than 2 employees
- Nebraska: if the employer has less than 4 employees
- Vermont: if the employer has less than 2 employees
- Virginia: if the employer has less than 4 employees
- West Virginia: if the employer has less than 6 employees
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM #8
Big Tone

Aussie Refs

Bloody Hell!!!!!

What a rip-off.

The fields I work at in Oz, refs get a minimum of $150 per day (8am to 6/7pm) on a regular day (punters/rec players) and usually the Head refs get around $200.

Tourneys I usually get my travel, food and accom paid by the organisers and $150 to $220 per day to ref, depending on the level of responsability I take on (basic ref to head ref to ultimate) and the size of the event.

Honestly, although I have occasionally donated my services to new venues and big events, usually I wouldn't give up my weekends to ref for less than $10 an hour.

And yes, field owners can easily find someone to do the work cheaper. That's their right. But I find that after a month or so I start getting the phone calls again because they find that experienced and professional refs can handle groups better, ensure the players are safe and having fun, can deal with problems as they come up, and can entice the players to A. use more paint, thereby increasing the field profits. And B. make sure the players enjoy themselves so much that they want to return, also increasing the fields profits.

$7.50 per hour? Sorry, I'd rather sleep in.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 PM #9
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
one field here pays $5/hr in store credit. under the table deal
the other pays $7.20/hr on the books. min wage here is $7.25, but they deem them seasonal workers to pay them a nickel under
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:54 PM #10
E-M-P-I-R-E

I still never understand seeing, usually young people, working for paint. I guess I would do it for a bag an hour, but anything less than that just sounds ****ty. One bag for 5 hours just blows my mind....think about the actual cost. They are probably only coming out of pocket 2 dollars worth of paint an hour. However, I guess it goes back to what one of the early posters said. It depends on what they hired you to do and the terms.

Last edited by E-M-P-I-R-E : 11-21-2011 at 10:12 PM.
E-M-P-I-R-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 PM #11
NGerali

You can't really complain.... I'm an Airsmith and a Refferee... I do it for fun and hell, work a Sat and play for Sunday free.. and come on guys... It's not like it's painstakingly hard work, lol.
NGerali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:30 PM #12
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Racso owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Racso is Legendary
I wouldn't complain about it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. If you think that you're getting a crappy deal, then stop volunteering your time and pay for everything out of pocket.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote