Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-14-2012, 10:42 AM #64
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgonzo View Post
Well that's not true at all
Eigenbarrel has a 9 inch control bore.

CF Boomstick has 7 inch control bore, everything else I've seen is 6 or lower.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM #65
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
Eigenbarrel has a 9 inch control bore.

CF Boomstick has 7 inch control bore, everything else I've seen is 6 or lower.
You need to look harder ... *cough*

Also most long one-piece barrels are not step-bored, so for example a CP 16" has a 11.5" unported length (and technically a full-length control bore), and an old unported 12" barrel would have a 12" control bore.
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices

Last edited by drgonzo : 05-14-2012 at 02:35 PM.
drgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 PM #66
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

OK fine, so its' control bore is 1 inch under the Lapco.

The Eigenbarrel is way cheaper. and looks better (IMO).

What was that about step boring and one pieces? Maybe you need to look harder. *cough*

Don't get me wrong, I really like the new Lapco FUSE kit. I even considered getting just one FUSE front & back, but it's just too damn expensive for me and I really like my .684 Eigenbarrel.

Last edited by SNAKESNIPER : 05-14-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM #67
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
OK fine, so its' control bore is 1 inch under the Lapco.

The Eigenbarrel is way cheaper. and looks better (IMO).
And lags in manufacturing quality significantly (not IMO), but that's not the topic. Longer is longer and you said longest.

Quote:
What was that about step boring and one pieces? Maybe you need to look harder. *cough*
The Eigenbarrel and the Tightstick are the only two step bored one-pieces (and AFAIK the Eigenbarrel is not really step bored)*. Just about all other one pieces, like I said, are not, including, like I said, for example a CP 16" which, like I said, has a 11.5" unported length and technically a full 16" control bore. Like I said. Longer control bore lengths are very common.

* If you consider the original LAPCO "laminar flow chamber" step boring then LAPCO one-pieces are step bored as well. A Lapco bigshot 14" one-piece would have about a 12" control bore.
HawaiiPB/PumpPB - Our videos | Droidtiles.com - NFC Tags for Android and mobile devices
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM #68
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Buzz Killington, ladies and gentlemen...
Old 05-14-2012, 09:25 PM #69
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Education is not a buzzkill. Knowledge is power.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 PM #70
sc00byd00311

Would a longer control barrel create more friction and slow the ball down...or do whatever nasty business friction does to a ball? Robert, I really did like your test and I would love to see the same thing with a .003 underbore. Also, what adjustment did you make to the gun and why when you switched the barrel? I'm assuming velocity went up because I see the vapors from the barrel each shot.

JT Tac-5 Recon (it was a gift...) finally got a barrel that isn't stock

Ion w/ Trinity grips:ShockTech Drop forward :ShockTech ASA w/on-off

Ion XE w/Pinkbody kit: CP ASA w/on-off: CP Shorty reg: Sly Dual Carbon Barrel Kit: Virtue (Clippard) QEV: Tech-T L7 Bolt
sc00byd00311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM #71
Ninetails
RAWR

Ninetails has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ninetails has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
it depends honestly scooby doo.

the paintballs are propelled by the air, and the rapid expansion accelerates the paintball. i think bryce larson did a very comprehensive test and if i remember right, there needs to be atleast an 8.5" control bore bored .003 under for full acceleration to be acheived, but that there wouldn't be any velocity decrease till 16" if i'm correct.

i can't remember all the facts but i'm pretty sure thats how his results spanned out.

and the test as shown above (in all honesty) for legitimacy should be in a controlled climate with barrels of the same make and origin yet different bores (such as lurker pb's 2 bore sizes of .678 and .684 bores).
Ninetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:23 PM #72
robertseakykr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00byd00311 View Post
Would a longer control barrel create more friction and slow the ball down...or do whatever nasty business friction does to a ball? Robert, I really did like your test and I would love to see the same thing with a .003 underbore. Also, what adjustment did you make to the gun and why when you switched the barrel? I'm assuming velocity went up because I see the vapors from the barrel each shot.
I was actually adjusting the velocity so the barrels weren't shooting differently. I have actually tested the influence of various length control bores, if you're interested:
Control bore length test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
...and the test as shown above (in all honesty) for legitimacy should be in a controlled climate with barrels of the same make and origin yet different bores (such as lurker pb's 2 bore sizes of .678 and .684 bores).
The "test" I show in the video isn't a "test". As I stated earlier, it's just a demonstration of what high levels of under-bore will do to your shot spread.
I can repeat it at will anywhere (so can you).
The barrels I used were prototypes from the same manufacturer, from the same factory, with IDENTICAL bore preparation.

Last edited by robertseakykr : 05-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.
robertseakykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:19 AM #73
sc00byd00311

[quote=robertseakykr;75552924]I was actually adjusting the velocity so the barrels weren't shooting differently. I have actually tested the influence of various length control bores, if you're interested:
Control bore length test

Very interesting as well.

JT Tac-5 Recon (it was a gift...) finally got a barrel that isn't stock

Ion w/ Trinity grips:ShockTech Drop forward :ShockTech ASA w/on-off

Ion XE w/Pinkbody kit: CP ASA w/on-off: CP Shorty reg: Sly Dual Carbon Barrel Kit: Virtue (Clippard) QEV: Tech-T L7 Bolt
sc00byd00311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:33 AM #74
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhector View Post
robert, do you even remotely understand scientific testing? for something to be 100% definitive for all to accept, it has to be tested with 0 chances of errors. this would require cases of paint shot in an enclosed environment with every possible portion of information written down every shot
Statistical significance is not 0 chance of errors, but rather an acceptable amount of errors while still being representative of the population.

I did see some decent information being posted that addressed some of this but without giving a statistics lesson I'll just say that not all people on this site are pseudo-scientists as one poster claimed. Some of us have actually paid our dues in school, have multiple degrees as well as professional certifications (such as six sigma) and still like paintball.

All said, using my own anecdotal-type evidence I have found that a slight underbore does give me more consistency over a chrono and a FPS increase which makes underboring worth it to me.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 PM #75
Scatlm
equilibrium

My personal experience is... same consistency, but you get better efficiency while underboring. However, if you're shooting less than premium paint, then you are about 10x more likely to get breaks, so its a trade off. If you DO shoot premium paint... then I would underbore.
Scatlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM #76
Jahdfather
Mini Master

Jahdfather owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Jahdfather has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jahdfather has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I tried underbore with a pals .678 lurker at a tourney and liked it. Back home with my fields basic paint, my shots were all spray shots, like a shotty...
Jahdfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:36 AM #77
snapshot82
proudcanukian

why the hell are you guys disputing Robert's findings? just accept that underboring to the extreme will increase your shot spread by a whopping 6 inches at 80 ft

you guys need to lighten up a little... underbore is still the way to go IMO just for the fps gains, a lightly sprung pump needs all the fps it can get, running the electro overbore that sucker and let er rip

| The Ontario Mafia |
snapshot82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM #78
BioHazard Mafia

BioHazard Mafia supports Sherwood Forest
Yesterday I used a .679 on 5star GI that I had left over from Psp Phx and i couldnt believe my fps increase and a better shot pattern. I usually over boar....I will be under boaring from now on I will just make sure I bring squeegee on the field
BioHazard Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM #79
Ninetails
RAWR

Ninetails has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Ninetails has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot82 View Post
why the hell are you guys disputing Robert's findings? just accept that underboring to the extreme will increase your shot spread by a whopping 6 inches at 80 ft

you guys need to lighten up a little... underbore is still the way to go IMO just for the fps gains, a lightly sprung pump needs all the fps it can get, running the electro overbore that sucker and let er rip
because they are armchair physics thats why.

his video stated one bore, in this forum he stated another.

then he shot in heavy wind, which we all know its speed fluctuates, so yeah, quite a few irregularities come up. the 6" could be from the fact that in the video it was a .10+ underbore, which EVERYONE has already said don't go over .08, and .03 is best.

so showing one extreme underbore, and one non extreme overbore. one is not squeezing the ball at all, and the other is crushing it WAY past the point any actual scientific tests indicated should be done.

whipeee.
Ninetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:47 PM #80
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
so showing one extreme underbore, and one non extreme overbore. one is not squeezing the ball at all, and the other is crushing it WAY past the point any actual scientific tests indicated should be done.
That's a bit of an overstatement of what testing has shown. .010 is not "crushing" the ball at all, it's a tight overbore sure but even the longest control bores around still work fairly well at .010 under. Extreme overboring or anything resembling "crushing" is .015 and more IMO.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM #81
robertseakykr

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot82 View Post
It's actually much more than 6". Look at the vid. I was being very kind with the under-bore.

Quote:
...so yeah, quite a few irregularities come up. the 6" could be from the fact that in the video it was a .10+ underbore, which EVERYONE has already said don't go over .08, and .03 is best.
I actually have no interest in what you think you know, but if you're going to reference my stuff, get the damn numbers right. It was a .006-.008 under-bore.
robertseakykr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:35 PM #82
NicholasHoey
PB, No Jellies Allowed

Annual Supporting Member
NicholasHoey donated to help Peyton Trent
NicholasHoey owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
NicholasHoey plays in the APPA D4 division
NicholasHoey has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i play w/ premium or evil...pump and electro...both w/ a .678 bore
everything is fine
NicholasHoey is offline   Reply With Quote