PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-13-2011, 02:20 PM #22
subtle

subtle is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
subtle owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
Use stakes, then use a laser to ensure a straight line. Put one stake at one sideline. Point the laser from that stake straight across the field. Set the other stake at the other sideline. Repeat.
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM #23
themaxx-captain
-= EZPaintball.com =-

themaxx-captain is a founding member
themaxx-captain supports Cereal Killerz 2
themaxx-captain owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Drawing on the experiences from previous posters, we developed an in-ground system to grid the field prior to spraying. We inserted 5" sections of 1" pvc pipe into the ground at the intersection points of the boundary lines and cross lines. We then insert 5" sections of 1/2" pvc pipe into the 1" pieces... and tie mason line between them.

Materials/Tools needed:
?? - Athletic Field Marking Paint / Inverted Marking Paint - ( $6.72 each - Link )
1 - Striping Machine - ( $114.72 - Link )
3 - 10ft sections of 1" PVC ($ 3.50 each - Link)
3 - 10ft sections of 1/2" PVC ($ 1.78 each - Link)
10 - 500ft Braided Nylon packaged rope ($3.47 each - Link)
1 - PVC Pipe Cutter - ($20 - Link - GET ONE OF THESE, they cut through the pipe like butter... be sure it has a strong,thick blade!)
1 - Mallet / Hammer
1 - Sharpie Marker
1 - Drawing Pad / Sketch Pad
1 - Vice Grips / Pliers
1 - 1/2" Dowel / stick / section of pvc
1 - Measuring Tape device ( $24.96 - Link - I would advise using one that is 200ft+, drastically reduces measuring time and marking time... I did it with a 25ft tape and survey flags)

I used this system to grid the field by myself... it took a chunk of time up front to get the system in place, but now, its very quick to set the lines and start spraying. I provided the requirements if you wished to grid the entire field with string before spraying.

Process:

1 - Plan ahead
With the Drawing pad and Sharpie, draw out your field with your intended dimensions. Indicate the distances for boundary lines and the grid lines/cross lines. Use the drawing to calculate the number of PVC sections to cut. Here is an example of dimensions for a PSP field :

2 - Measure & Cut the PVC Pipe
Lay out the pvc pipe, measure and mark 5" sections on the pipe. I aligned the pipes, measured the first pipe and drew the mark across all 6 pipes. Using the pvc pipe cutter, create the 5" pipe sections from all 6 pipes. The 5 inch pieces of the 1" pvp pipe will be referred to as "PVC Sleeve". The 5 inch pieces of the 1/2" pvp pipe will be referred to as "PVP Post".

3 - Measure the boundary lines & grid lines
The difficult part will be finding a reference point. It may be easiest to begin with the start boxes... extend your tape measure out to 120', centering the 60' mark on your start box. Then, grab 3 pieces of the "PVC Sleeves", which we cut earlier, and slightly tap a piece into the ground at 0, 60', and 120' marks. You don't need to put them in far, these may be moved slightly as you adjust your, or "square", your field.
Repeat the same step for the opposing start box.
You can now use pipe pieces at the 0' and 120' to confirm the length of your field. Extend your tape measure out to 170', aligned with the pvc pieces.
Then, grab 3 pieces of the "PVC Sleeve" and slightly tap one piece into the ground at 0, 85', 170'.
Repeat the same step for the opposing side line.
Now grab a roll of the nylon rope. Once you open the package, or after each cut of the rope, tie an overhand knot at the end of the string to prevent further fraying.. Next, we will tie an anchoring knot onto a piece of the pvc pipe, so we get to practice our knot tying skills... for those who aren't Boy Scouts, I've included video on how to tie the knots. I use a "Two half hitches" as the anchor knot... the more the line is pulled, the tighter the rope will constrict around the PVC pipe -

On the opposite corner, we will tie a "Taut Line Hitch"... this is a similar knot, but it can be slid down the line, away from the pipe, tightening any slack in the line.
Repeat this for each side of the field, tying an anchor knot at one end and a slack removing knot at the other. Once completed, you'll be able to visualize the outer boundaries of your field and you can check that the corners are square...and adjust as needed.
Now that you are comfortable with the outer boundaries of your field... You can measure the gridlines and drive their pvc pieces into the ground (Some may wish to leave the string in place... but you will also use your tape measure to mark the gridlines. If you only had a 25ft tape measure, as I did, then you'll need the to leave the line in place so you have a straight edge for the gridlines).You'll need the measuring tape, hammer, dowel, and vice grips. Extend your tape measure for the length of the field, and set a "PVC Sleeve". As you hammer the pvc into the ground, it will 'core' the dirt. About 1/2 or 1/3 down, I pull the pvc piece out and clean it out with dowel rod or smaller pvc pipe. I continue that process until the pvc pipe nearly completely flush, or slightly below, the dirt level. The result should be the pvc pipe in the ground with 4-5 inches of empty space inside it. I wont lie, this process is tedious... as you have to do 62 of them.

4 - Establishing the Grid
Now that you have placed all of your "PVC Sleeves" in the ground, drop a "PVC Post" inside each one. Grab your Nylon rope, don't forget to tie the overhand knots to avoid fraying! Tie your anchor knot, "Two Half Hitches", to "PVC Post" then walk towards the matching "PVC Post" on the other side of the field... allowing the rope to unwind as you walk. Tie your slack-removing knot, "Taut Line Hitch", to the matching "PVC Post".
Repeat until you have all your grid lines created with the rope.

5 - Painting the Grid
We use a 4 wheeled stiper with Inverted Marking Paint. Using the string as your straight line reference point, you spray your lines. We paint the outer boundary, the center lines X & Y axis, 20ft lines, 40ft lines, 60ft lines, 80ft lines. At the intersection of gridlines, we paint 4x4 plus symbol.

Pictures of our field:

Image #1
Image #2
Image #3
Image #4
Image #5

Last edited by themaxx-captain : 04-17-2014 at 03:14 PM.
themaxx-captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:16 PM #24
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

soccerguy243 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
soccerguy243 is an NCPA player
soccerguy243 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
I use plastic ground stakes on my sidelines to give me a point of reference. ...
Quoted link is broken. I believe this is what he was referring to: http://www.peakproducts.com/index.ph...article&id=171

I'm thinking about doing this as a volunteer project at my home field. I'm surprised there aren't more resources on how to do this. I google searched but only found this tread as useful.

I'm planning on use the ground stakes around the perimeter to define the field of play and the marking whiskers for the field grid. As of 2013 PSP field length is 150 feet correct?

"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud
UNITED STATES AIR FORCE Pilot

Last edited by soccerguy243 : 03-27-2013 at 04:20 PM.
soccerguy243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM #25
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care

Andocommando plays in the PSP
Andocommando plays in the APPA D3 division
Yes I believe it is 150x120

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM #26
themaxx-captain
-= EZPaintball.com =-

We also went with the "marking whiskers"... over the paint. The paint didn't last long... and got expensive quick. It looks great... so it would really make a great visual impression for an event. Too expensive for weekly use.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:51 PM #27
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx-captain View Post
We also went with the "marking whiskers"... over the paint. The paint didn't last long... and got expensive quick. It looks great... so it would really make a great visual impression for an event. Too expensive for weekly use.
too expensive for weekly use? I plan on using the marking whiskers to mark every intersection of a PSP field Grid.

I would need 187 whiskers
8 packs of 25 is only $48
187 60 penny nails from hardware store

Stake each intersection and leave the whiskers in forever.

I'm just trying to figure out a good way to ensure a square field; i don't want a parallelogram or trapeziod. I think i might stake a reference line like themaxx said and use raehl's marking method.

"If you're not shooting, moving or talking, you shouldn't be on the field."-Tyler Michaud

Last edited by soccerguy243 : 04-01-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM #28
themaxx-captain
-= EZPaintball.com =-

I guess I should have been more clear, We changed from paint to marking whiskers... because repeatedly purchasing the inverted paint cans was getting to be really expensive and the paint only lasted about 2 weeks.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM #29
Ramprat1972
CO-OWNER FIELD OF DREAMS

Annual Supporting Member
Ramprat1972 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Ramprat1972 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ramprat1972 is for the Gunfight
Ramprat1972 plays in the APPA D4 division
Ramprat1972 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerguy243 View Post
too expensive for weekly use? I plan on using the marking whiskers to mark every intersection of a PSP field Grid.

I would need 187 whiskers
8 packs of 25 is only $48
187 60 penny nails from hardware store

Stake each intersection and leave the whiskers in forever.

I'm just trying to figure out a good way to ensure a square field; i don't want a parallelogram or trapeziod. I think i might stake a reference line like themaxx said and use raehl's marking method.
Geometry class... A squared + B squared = C squared (or as us contractors call it 3/4/5 or 30/40/50. Start at any corner, go up the tape line 40 feet, from the same corner go along the back line 30'. Make marks at both those points, take your 100' tape measure and and measure across that corner of the field. If its 50' your corner is square.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM #30
YOUNGSTOWN
YOUNGSTOWN CREW

YOUNGSTOWN plays in the PSP
YOUNGSTOWN has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I took a measureing wheel and put stakes in the ground just out side of my netting.
When its time to set a field, I pull all the bunkers.
Then I take mason string (orange or pink cause its easy to see) and I just run it from end to end.
Makes a pretty good grid.
When I am done, I just wrap the string up and put it in a empty paint box.

Way way cheaper than spray cans.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 PM #31
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramprat1972 View Post
Geometry class... A squared + B squared = C squared (or as us contractors call it 3/4/5 or 30/40/50. Start at any corner, go up the tape line 40 feet, from the same corner go along the back line 30'. Make marks at both those points, take your 100' tape measure and and measure across that corner of the field. If its 50' your corner is square.
thank you for this method!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM #32
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

here's a step by step guide i've come up with. Thoughts?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5F1...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by soccerguy243 : 04-09-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM #33
RobertSims
Self-Taught

This animation should be pretty self explanatory.
RobertSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM #34
soccerguy243
Air Force Paintball #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSims View Post
This animation should be pretty self explanatory.
[IMG]
lol... where were you before i made my guide? hahaa

However i don't understand why the tapes would cross mid field at 192 feet. The length from corner to corner is 192 feet.
Did you mean the crossing spot should be at 96 feet?

Last edited by soccerguy243 : 04-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 PM #35
RobertSims
Self-Taught

You are correct. The intersection should be at 96 feet. I guess I should have taken my time while putting that animation together.

*edit* I updated the animation to show the correct dimensions. (thanks soccerguy243)

Last edited by RobertSims : 04-17-2013 at 08:03 PM.
RobertSims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM #36
Bits64
ishootdeadpeople

Bits64 plays in the PSP
Out our field we use surveying whiskers. Once a season we double check the grid but they stay in hear round and you can mow over them. They mark every grid line intersection on the psp layout grids.
Bits64 is offline   Reply With Quote