PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM #421
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
You honestly think affirmative action still has a place? I'm sorry, but in my field (and prior) race is completely ignored and ability is what is paid attention to. Anecdotal, I know.
statistics would disagree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2 View Post
Systemic racism, another fantastic joke. when a small population produces an even smaller amount of qualified candidates (by percentage as well as by sheer number) for advanced positions, you damn well better believe the numbers are going to show that minority makes up A MINORITY in that industry.
statistics would disagree with you. I have already shared a small amount of the countless studies that show that systemic racism still exists. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't make anything better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Boston College did a study where they made 2000 resumes with the exact same qualification (except different names) and applied for a variety of jobs. 1000 of the resumes were given white sounding names. 1000 were given black sounding names. The 1000 white names were given a call back at roughly twice the rate of the black names.
Quote:
-The kind that makes black people get hired much less than white people with the same resume.
-The kind that makes prosecutors much more likely to give someone the death penalty if the victim is white.
-The kind that makes white people (who smoke more weed per capita) get arrested much less than black people.
-The kind that makes black people get much higher jail time for drug possession than whites.
also: i'm hardly an ultra-progressive.
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM #422
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
statistics would disagree with you

No, quite the opposite actually.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 PM #423
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
No, quite the opposite actually.
Im sorry. I forgot what field you are in (defense contracting maybe?), but if your field is exempt from this you are very much in the minority. Systemic racism in relation to hiring has been shown across all pay grades and almost every job market. I would be interested into why you feel your field is exempt from this. Do you have statistical evidence (not anecdotal) to back that your field does not suffer from systemic racism in regards to hiring?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:30 PM #424
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
I can tell you the army is roughly 25% black, which you know is above the population in the US. I don't have promotion numbers, but the circles I worked in usually had the smarter guys so it was never a question. Navy promotions were based mostly off a test score, then when you get high enough a blind board reviews your record and achievements.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 PM #425
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...190108284.html

Quote:
A Florida judge has revoked the bond of George Zimmerman, the volunteer neighborhood watchman accused of killing teen Trayvon Martin, on the grounds that Zimmerman misled the court about his finances.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 PM #426
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Al sharp paying off judge.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 AM #427
smartone1939

Stupid move by Zimmerman to lie about his finances. But, it doesn't change the physical evidence of the case, which pretty strongly indicates he was defending himself.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM #428
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

So the judge is sure that he actually misled the court about his finances, and wasn't simply unaware of what they were at any one time?
A lot of the online fundraising was done very quickly right around the bond hearing.
If so, bad move by his lawyer, because I can't imagine Zimmerman himself being in the driver's seat when it comes to this stuff.
The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:30 PM #429
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Sounds like a trap to bring someone into a courtroom and nail them against the wall for not knowing the up-to-the-minute money status of a third party fundraiser Zimmerman doesn't control.......

Sounds like the state prosecution is just riding on destroying Zimmerman's character instead of what he actually did. AFAIK this means he'll sit in jail without trial for a long *** time.
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:10 PM #430
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Zimmerman got back out on bail. also i find it funny that people think zimmerman is racist but hes mexican with a white attorney and the martins have a black attorney.

Herpppp

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:55 PM #431
Volucris

It's because being black in america grants you more rights in society than being hispanic.

They play the race card because it's all the martin's can use as a defense as everything else has been nullified by good evidence.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM #432
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

The Martins aren't on trial here.

I'm not sure what their angle in this is, other than wanting Zimmerman prosecuted for shooting their son, but the entire professional media establishment called this a hate crime before they said anything.

In fact, I'm not aware of any statements from the Martins suggesting that the shooting was racially-motivated.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:26 PM #433
marcozombie

George Zimmerman Not Going To Let One Bad Experience Deter Him From Neighborhood Watch Responsibilities

http://www.theonion.com/articles/geo...xperien,28722/
Old 07-09-2012, 06:29 PM #434
LOL Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozombie View Post
George Zimmerman Not Going To Let One Bad Experience Deter Him From Neighborhood Watch Responsibilities

http://www.theonion.com/articles/geo...xperien,28722/
Good for him, honestly.

I for one am proud of him for persevering even after all the media hype. We need more Zimmerman's.

edit: ****, read the title and later realized it was an Onion link. Would be nice if it was true.
LOL Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM #435
Murph1329

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Birds View Post
The root of the issue is which one of them started the confrontation. There are 911 tapes where he made it clear he wasn't going to wait for the police against the instruction of the operator. Again, what do you think is more likely to have started the altercation? A wannabe police officer with violent felonies, and that "second dick" rush of packing heat? Or a kid walking home with a week-old marijuana charge (which is clearly very important to the story, as the gentleman below me pointedly remarks)?

The fact that you bring up possession and the clothes (which are not even tangentially related to what we're talking about, they're a way of rationalizing this nutcase's behavior and saying "it's okay, Martin was a thug anyway") is pretty ridiculous.

Neighborhood watch is supposed to be an unarmed WATCH organization that calls the real authorities in case of trouble, not an armed vigilante group. There is no way of knowing exactly what happened, but Zimmerman had a proven history of violence (towards police, no less). I think most people are smart enough to know that, even when piss drunk, you just don't touch an LEO. He obviously doesn't have that sort of judgement or self-control. He's patrolling a gated neighborhood with a gun, and he sees some hoodrat that he thinks is going to cause riff-raff.

On the other hand, you have a kid (whose worst crime was conjuring negative stereotypes) walking home with no history of anger or self-control issues, and best of all, NO GUN.

Neighborhood watch can be whatever the hell the community wants it to be.
So, if you were part of neighborhood watch and watched a violent beating of a baby you'd just rubberneck and call the police....unproactive people like you are what's wrong with society, too damn scared to stand up for what's right.
ANS Jackhammer | Rex Kit
STO RAM | Air America Black Ice | Shocktech LPC
pic
Forum defeat is admitted when one resorts to grammatical insults -me
We all live with a mark of sin, no man's is greater than another's in his own mind. -me
Murph1329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 PM #436
MutR.
Shut up.

Is there any new information on this story? I've searched around on google and find nothing but racist people taking about racist things. cant find any new facts about the case at all.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 PM #437
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

A little bit.

The bloodwork came back showing very little of Martin's blood on Zimmerman's clothing and none on the gun: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/1...zimmerman.html

...and there was a color picture released of Zimmerman from the day of the shooting showing blood on his face and his nose messed up.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 PM #438
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Wow ... that is a broke nose ....
Old 12-22-2012, 10:11 PM #439
MutR.
Shut up.

Definitely a broken nose. In my opinion that was one big hole in zimmermans story. he said he had a broken nose but all the pictures released showed his nose a bit swollen maybe, but not broken. This just adds credibility to his story in my opinion.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 PM #440
Volucris

Moral of the story: only defend yourself from people of the same race as you.