no complaints....but then again we won
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM #23
Mrglass6919

Mrglass6919 plays in the PSP
Mrglass6919 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm RickJames View Post
Good point... I didn't see much of field 2 except for the few times I walked over during a field 1 break.
As of right now you are the only "voice" of the NPPL. After HB and the mess of problems (IDs, chips, etc.) threads like this always pop up but it feels like nothing gets done, taken seriously, or even think the NPPL sees any of these issues.

I know most the time, it is that teenage kid whining and crying that he didn't read the rules and his team paid for it, but at times, there are intelligent people with legitimate issues.

I thought they had a "face" or even a dummy name in which the league could answer legitimate questions or issues.... guess not....

This alone is what "the other league" does amazingly well! Communicate with their players. Isn't that what a league "of the players for the players" is supposed to do?
Guerrilla Air
The BADLANDZ

Mrglass6919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 PM #24
LittleH8kid

LittleH8kid supports Pev's Paintball
LittleH8kid plays in the APPA D2 division
On a side note why was there that stupid turf pach going though the middle of the pro/D1 field. I saw not only myself but a few other players hurt themselves sliding into the D1 on the far end. CPX has plenty of grass there is no need to place one field over a gravel road.

One good thing that I enjoyed was how they, the nppl designed the monds field in the staging. This was very nice for the race to teams. It allowed us to get out of the hot sun and made it are own little pit area.
LittleH8kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM #25
Livinlife11
Accuracy, not by volume.

Livinlife11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Livinlife11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Livinlife11 supports Pev's Paintball
Livinlife11 plays in the APPA D4 division
We didn't win... We aren't from Chicago... and we had zero issue's with the Ref's...

The one incident we had was on Sunday when our game was called to be played early against LA Collision... They were not at the field, could not be found in the pits, etc... When we questioned why this was not a forfeit the ultimate ref came over and explained that the time stamp on the schedule was still 20 minutes away (the field was running early with 2 and out matches) and we had to wait till the official time stamp before anything would be done. The issue was addressed promptly and justly... Congrats to LA btw...

As with any sport, I did see some questionable calls however, at the speed in which tournament paintball is played, things will be missed or called wrong... Next time, play better so there isn't any doubt about it...
Check-It Paintball Store (RIP)
DYE
VALKEN
Livinlife11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM #26
RTLSNAKE
Team Rogue

RTLSNAKE is a founding member
RTLSNAKE plays in the PSP
RTLSNAKE owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RTLSNAKE plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm RickJames View Post
Never said anything about being tough or even threatening... That's not what I meant at all. I'm just the type of person that confronts someone face to face if I have an issue. And the part about me being 6'3" just meant that I'm hard to miss.

Ohhh and btw I'm 246 lbs now thanks to my new diet
I know who you are I play snake for rogue at skyline.only. the people that don't do good bash the refs. If they think they can do a better job they can try and ref
RTLSNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM #27
I'm RickJames
DJ/MC for the NPPL

I'm RickJames supports Pev's Paintball
I'm RickJames plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrglass6919

As of right now you are the only "voice" of the NPPL. After HB and the mess of problems (IDs, chips, etc.) threads like this always pop up but it feels like nothing gets done, taken seriously, or even think the NPPL sees any of these issues.

I know most the time, it is that teenage kid whining and crying that he didn't read the rules and his team paid for it, but at times, there are intelligent people with legitimate issues.

I thought they had a "face" or even a dummy name in which the league could answer legitimate questions or issues.... guess not....

This alone is what "the other league" does amazingly well! Communicate with their players. Isn't that what a league "of the players for the players" is supposed to do?
Please do not misunderstand my position...
I am in NO WAY a "voice of the NPPL" everything I've said regarding this event as well as past events is solely my opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the NPPL front office and staff.

I'm just a guy who loves this sport and wants to see it grow to its full potential. I have no ill will toward the PSP. I've played there for 7+ years. I just happen to be employed by the NPPL and I'm proud of that fact. I get to peek behind the curtain and get a glimpse of what goes on behind the scenes and see a fraction of what it takes to
produce a successful large scale tournament series.

With the little bit of knowledge I have about the inner workings of the league I just get a bit frustrated when players and fans bash a league that is literally doing all it can to help the sport grow and put on the best show possible while providing a complete fan experience.

I do read everyone's input and I mentally compile it and report to Chuck, Pev, Tony and Val about things that I think are relevant concerns. Most of the time they are already working on a solution, the webcast being the latest example.

To be honest I'm actually embarrassed that I have even gotten into what could be seen as arguments on here about these issues. I'm just very passionate about the league, not just because they pay me, but because I believe the NPPL is extremely important for the sport and I think the same about the PSP. I plan on deleting all of my previous post that can be deemed disrespectful. My intent was not to be rude and I'm sorry if I came off that way.

I do respect CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and will continue to do my best to help the industry grow, keep the players, fans and vendors happy, all while putting on the best show I can.

Thanks to everyone for the huge outpouring of support that I received at the event, online and via text and thanks to the NPPL for having me back doing what I love.

Chris

Follow me on Twitter- NPPLDJ

Proudly representing... PEV'S PAINTBALL, EMPIRE PAINTBALL, KEE ACTION SPORTS and BOB LONG
I'm RickJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:29 PM #28
EPluribusUnum

EPluribusUnum plays in the PSP
EPluribusUnum owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
EPluribusUnum plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrglass6919 View Post

I actually had a long talk with chuck in chicago for this exact reason. I explained how this website is a very important window to players thoughts and views on the league. He is currently working on getting representatives from each division to work on finding issues like this, relaying them back to the nppl, and then giving the players better insight and feedback on what the nppl is going to change.

on a side note (and this is my opinion not anyone of the nppl) it get's really old hearing the whining and complaining at every single event. last year the reffing staff was the best ive ever seen and then it got better this year in HB, and people still couldnt wait to get back home on their computers and complain! I agree with everyone that the chicago reffing was not as good as HB, but the issue is knowing the right time. Complaining every event whether reffing is good or bad makes me think people are just trolling and complaining to complain. there are people out there who will complain who have not even played the event. their sole job is to try to ruin the nppl.

My suggestion is this, explain your concern at the event to event coordinators. Wait till youre calm and make sure youre broad in your statements, ex. Dorito refs look like theyre not leaving sidelines, i think back center refs are missing a lot, and/or refs seem to be lax on pulling penalties. Nobody wants to hear about one or two calls that went against you and have every detail described to them. just be brief and courteous and im sure you will get the same in response.
Second, start making your complaint when it happens. coming home sunday night and complaining monday morning leads a person to believe they are salty about the outcome of the event and are now taking it out on pbnation. if you start making your complaints friday after first matches you have a little more validity.

anyway that is my rant. i hope i was helpful, and any further insight or concerns feel free to pm me. i hate the back and forths on pbnation lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 PM #29
Twiddle

DC 2011 was the best reffing I've ever seen Nationally and Chicago 2012 was the worst, easily. Not just for my team but for everyone, specifically on the 2nd field.

Some teams being able to re-tag up and some not, people given minors when asking for paint checks, phantom hit minors, pulling too many people on majors, minors given when they weren't deserved, not watching proper zones, some refs only ever standing on the sidelines and yelling at the players, etc.

On the pro field the only mistakes I noticed were people getting away with cheats and the odd person pulled for things that were clearly rub - that happens and is understandable. On the other field the issue was just plain bad inexperienced refs who didn't know what they were doing.

I'm pretty sure this was the first time the vast majority of them had ever reffed and I hold National events to a higher standard like AFP said.

Last edited by Twiddle : 05-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Twiddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM #30
??11??
"Big gay Al"

??11?? plays in the PSP
??11?? owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
??11?? plays in the APPA D2 division
??11?? has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddle View Post
DC 2011 was the best reffing I've ever seen Nationally and Chicago 2012 was the worst, easily. Not just for my team but for everyone, specifically on the 2nd field.
yes hands down divisional field in DC had the best reffing i have ever seen
Dynasty 2:2011-2012
Philly Energy 2013-
??11?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM #31
Amac
ThisISPaintball.ca

has been a member for 10 years
Amac is a Paintball photographer
Amac plays in the PSP
Amac is playing at Living Legends V
Reffing in HB was great, Dave had a good crew of refs on the field we played but I will say I was unimpressed with Chicago. Our front D player had to get two refs to try to get the snake side ref to go in to check players who got shot way before moving into the snake twice. While reffing in the heat is totally annoying and it does take a lot out of the person doing it. Sitting back resting on the netting isn't their job and not what they get paid for or trained to do.

For people who say well why don't you go ref then, I would if it didn't impact me playing the event. I have done PSP reffing for a few years before playing national events and would do it again if I wasn't spending my time on the field playing.

Hope things improve for DC and I know that the process of getting newer refs up to par takes time but hopefully some of the older experienced refs come back to the league.

Canadian Response Pump
ThisISPaintball
Paintball Photography

Seasons Past:
Spikes 5010, Spikes Fuel Xtreme, Mystic Warriors, South Coast Stealers, Birmingham Bulldogs, Inro-MORTIFIEURS, ChopShop, CRUsh, SportAgressor Russia & Canadian Express

Last edited by Amac : 05-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Amac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 AM #32
vanish4life

Some teams being able to re-tag up and some not, people given minors when asking for paint checks, phantom hit minors, pulling too many people on majors, minors given when they weren't deserved, not watching proper zones, some refs only ever standing on the sidelines and yelling at the players, etc.

I'm pretty sure this was the first time the vast majority of them had ever reffed and I hold National events to a higher standard like AFP said.[/quote]

yeah the people being trained to ref the tournament were scenario players that don't play tournament style ball and were only "certified" after watching 1 or 2 days of our practice so how can the NPPL expect to receive good calls on the field from these guys? And with the whole " why don't you try reffing then" thing, I reffed div 1 psp in 05 when paintball was in it's prime so to say I don't understand the standard of reffing quality at national events is just not true.
vanish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM #33
RORplayer44
still a joke

Annual Supporting Member
RORplayer44 is a Supporting Member
RORplayer44 plays in the PSP
RORplayer44 plays in the APPA D4 division
Subscribing. Keeping my thoughts to myself for now
RORplayer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM #34
MixedMusketeer

Isnt it a known fact that refs pretty much suck no matter what? Your either gonna get pros/ex pros (like WCPPL) who are lazy as all fack and would rather get drunk and have a good time than give us an honest experience. Then on the other hand, you got the fat slob, who isnt good at paintball in the first place, doesnt understand paintball, and thinks that because NPPL put him through their JOKE of a reffing clinic that he's now a professional paintball ref.

Lets be honest with ourselves here for a sec. Ive reffed several paintball tournaments, and yes it's hard... but at the same time, it's a joke and is easy as hell. Yeah, ya gotta work a 10-12 shift, but if you cant handle that, then your a joke in the first place (which most paintball players are). Problem is, refs dont get paid enough to truely care, and no matter how myuch NPPL wants to sugar coat it, their little ref certs are a joke. The only way there will ever be a good reffing crew is if a bunch of guys get together (like the NBA,NHL,MLB,NFL) and ONLY REF. Basically a team of refs, who only cares about making the correct calls and catching cheaters.

UNtill that happens just accept the fact that the reffing aspect of paintball is a joke, always has been a joke, and will continue to be a joke as long as the leagues treat it like a joke. Similar how to everyone wants to call paintball a Sport, but last time i checked, athletes play sports, and paintball is stocked-full of unathletic people
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM #35
MixedMusketeer

As for being on the podium. Ive had a first place medal in my hand still telling the reffs they did a horrible job. Just tellin it how it is all the time.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 PM #36
MixedMusketeer

Another thing that bugs me is when you have refs who have never played, or arent good players, that watch amazing players do amazing things, then pull or check them because they werent doing their job WATCHING and think there is no way they could have done that because the ref is to lame to do it themselves, so there is no way it could have happened eyes. Get what im sayin?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM #37
FiresofSirius
Let the Galaxy Burn

FiresofSirius donated to help Peyton Trent
FiresofSirius owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FiresofSirius is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMusketeer View Post
Another thing that bugs me is when you have refs who have never played, or arent good players, that watch amazing players do amazing things, then pull or check them because they werent doing their job WATCHING and think there is no way they could have done that because the ref is to lame to do it themselves, so there is no way it could have happened eyes. Get what im sayin?
FiresofSirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM #38
Droid Axiom
DC Devastation #88

Droid Axiom plays in the PSP
Droid Axiom owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Droid Axiom plays in the APPA D1 division
there was indeed sideline coaching. there was a point in a crucial game for us that someone yelled "HES COMING" on the sidelines when i was going to bunker someone at the 50 snake, then he popped the top and blasted me. that changed the outcome of the whole game in my opinion. but owells, reffing however wasnt bad at all, they did a good job for standing in the heat all day
Droid Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:01 AM #39
MixedMusketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiresofSirius View Post
there is no way it could have happened IN THEIR eyes. got deleted out.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:24 AM #40
PBFeZ

PBFeZ is a Paintball photographer
PBFeZ plays in the PSP

1:12 to 1:20...

No penalty...

Just sayin'.

I was only there for a brief period on Friday, and the amount of coaching from the sideline on field two was astounding...
PBFeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM #41
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMusketeer View Post
Isnt it a known fact that refs pretty much suck no matter what? Your either gonna get pros/ex pros (like WCPPL) who are lazy as all fack and would rather get drunk and have a good time than give us an honest experience. Then on the other hand, you got the fat slob, who isnt good at paintball in the first place, doesnt understand paintball, and thinks that because NPPL put him through their JOKE of a reffing clinic that he's now a professional paintball ref.

Lets be honest with ourselves here for a sec. Ive reffed several paintball tournaments, and yes it's hard... but at the same time, it's a joke and is easy as hell. Yeah, ya gotta work a 10-12 shift, but if you cant handle that, then your a joke in the first place (which most paintball players are). Problem is, refs dont get paid enough to truely care, and no matter how myuch NPPL wants to sugar coat it, their little ref certs are a joke. The only way there will ever be a good reffing crew is if a bunch of guys get together (like the NBA,NHL,MLB,NFL) and ONLY REF. Basically a team of refs, who only cares about making the correct calls and catching cheaters.

UNtill that happens just accept the fact that the reffing aspect of paintball is a joke, always has been a joke, and will continue to be a joke as long as the leagues treat it like a joke. Similar how to everyone wants to call paintball a Sport, but last time i checked, athletes play sports, and paintball is stocked-full of unathletic people
That was what the old NXL ref crew was. Same group of refs that did it every event for years together.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 PM #42
i got an ion
RIP Royals

i got an ion plays in the PSP
i got an ion plays in the APPA D2 division
we could just do what Pan Am used to do and have teams that participate take turns reffing, i think they used to offer series points to teams that reffed?....

Sacramento DMG

Capital Edge Paintball Park(CEPP)
i got an ion is offline   Reply With Quote