Community Focus

Old 02-25-2010, 12:39 PM #1
spyderman_xtra

spyderman_xtra helped look for balloons
spyderman_xtra is playing at Living Legends III
spyderman_xtra supports Bob Gurnsey
spyderman_xtra is attending Decay of Nations VI
The ENDALL "What do I need to go play my first day?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.college-paintball.com/hig...g_started.html

I am not the author, and I assume no responsibility for this link.
I thought that it was a geat write up and I wanted to share it.

Information for Parents
What is Paintball?Contents:

•Overview
•What is paintball?
•Is paintball safe?
•What is a paintball made out of? Does getting hit hurt?
•How does the paint marker work?
•What should I expect from an event my child goes to?
•Should I go to the field too?
•Does my child need a waiver?
•How much does it cost?
•What should my child wear? What equipment do they need?
•Can my child bring paintball stuff to school?
•My child wants to buy equipment. What should we get?
•My child wants to play in touraments. What is competative paintball like?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overview - Paintball is a relatively new sport started in the early 80's by a group of friends who used tree/cattle marking equipment to play capture the flag. It is a safe, fun sport in which players of all ages and sizes can play on a level field. It is a great recreational activity and an excellent activity for families to participate in together. As with any activity your child is involved with, however, a responsible parent needs to maintain an informed, active role in their child's participation.

What is Paintball? - Paintball can roughly be described as tag, capture-the-flag, and a waterfight rolled into one. The most common form involves two teams of various sizes who attempt to capture the other team's flag and return it to their own starting point. Players "tag" each other out with paintballs, which are gelatin capsules filled with a paint-like liquid that are fired from a paintball marker. The capsule breaks when it hits a player, leaving a mark which signals that that player is out for that round. Each player wears a paintball mask which protects the face, eyes and ears from the paint. Games generally last 20-30 minutes, at which point players get a chance to take a break, refill on paint and air, talk about the last game and regroup for the next game.

Is paintball safe? - Paintball is safer than football, soccer and baseball. The main reason that paintball is so safe is that there is no person-to-person contact - no tackling like in football and no kicking and rotational leg motion which leads to so many knee and other injuries in soccer. The most common paintball-related injuries are strains and sprains associated with running in the woods. The only way a paintball can injure you is if hits you in the eye or, to a lesser extent, the ear - which is why all players wear masks to prevent this from happening. You would not play football without pads and a helmet, you wouldn't play soccer without shin guards, and you don't play paintball unless you are wearing a paintball mask with goggles designed for that purpose. Since paintball was first played in 1981, there has never been a fatal paintball injury and no player who was wearing paintball goggles has sustained an eye injury. Wear the mask, make sure your child wears their mask, and everyone will have a fun, safe time.

What is a paintball made out of? Does getting hit hurt? - A paintball shell is made the same way the capsules for many perscription drugs are made, and in fact, some of the big-name paintball companies are in fact pharmacutical companies as well (RP Scherer being the best example). The fill is usually a mixture of water-soluable dye and soap. Paintballs are both non-toxic and biodegradable - you could eat them, but we don't recommend it because they taste REALLY, REALLY bad. Most people compare getting hit by a paintball with getting pinched or snapped by a towel. You'll know you were hit, but the "snap" will wear off after a couple seconds. You may have a pink mark where you were hit for a couple days afterwards.

How does a paint marker work? - A paintball marker is powerred by a compressed gas stored in a tank. The most common is carbon dioxide (Co2), but some markers also use air compressed straight from the atmosphere. The paintballs are held in a plastic container known as a "hopper", which has a feed tube which funnels the paintballs out of the hopper and into the marker. When the marker is fired, some gas is released which propells the paintball out of the marker as the gas expands. Another ball then feeds into the gun. This is just an overview, there are several variations on the general principle involving exactly how the internals of the marker are set up, how paintballs are fed, etc.

What should I expect from an event my child goes to? - The NCPA works to establish local high school clubs and pair them up with college paintball clubs to make it easier for students to play paintball in a friendly, safe environment. Under ideal circumstances, your child should be playing with other high school students who have set up a private game for themselves and their family members. You should be able to talk to the person organizing the outing as well as the management in charge of the field. As with any buisiness, a respectable paintball field will be more than happy to answer your questions. If the field is far enough away that it isn't practical for parents to drive there to drop of children themselves, everyone going on the outing should meet at a local staging area (high school parking lot, restaurant, etc) prior to leaving for the paintball field. This allows parents to talk to other people who are going. We recommend that at least a few adults go to the field with the high school students, especially if the group is not going with the help of a college club.

Should I go to the field too? - The NCPA strongly encourages parents to take an active role in their child's involvement with paintball. While the NCPA is often able to provide college players to go with high school groups to fields, as with any group of high school students, adult supervision is a good thing - if you arn't likely to send your child with ten of their friends to an amusement park for a day without any supervision, it wouldn't make much sense to send them alone to a paintball field either. As an added bonus, one of the great things about paintball is everyone can compete equally regardless of physical size. The 180 lb dad and 160 lb senior and 140 lb mom and 120 lb freshman can all compete on the same level, allowing you to participate with your children. Don't go just to "supervise", go to play. Have some fun with your kids.

Does my child need a waiver? - If your child is under 18 years of age and will not be going to the field with a parent or guardian, virtually all fields require that you get a copy of the field's waiver in advance and have your signature notarized - which means you need to take the waiver to a notary public and sign it in their presence. This is so the field can be sure that your child has your permission to play. Most banks and many post offices have notary publics. The person organizing the event should have waivers for you. If you're going to the field yourself, then you can just sign the waiver when you get it.

How much does it cost? - Costs from field to field vary, but generally run $20-30 for field fees and equipment rental and another $20-30 for paint, although paint costs will be less if you use less and more if you use more. The NCPA also works hard to secure lower pricing for high school clubs, so prices could be significantly lower depending on arrangements with the field.

What should my child wear? What equipment do they need? - While paint generally washes out very easily, the dirt is another matter entirely. Your child should wear something they don't mind getting dirty. Camouflage is by no means ncecessary - just stick with dark colors and avoid white, yellow, orange, pink or red. As with most things, wear layers - it may be cool in the morning and warm up later. We recommend that players cover as much skin as possible with at least one layer of clothing. Getting hit by a paintball on bare skin can sting quite a bit more, but that layer of clothing also protects you against bugs, poison ivy, bristling plants, etc. A sturdy pair of shoes is also necessary. Most players do quite well with a pair of jeans, a long sleeve t-shirt (with more shirts layerred as necessary) and a pair of tennis/running/hiking shoes. Players should strongly consider bringing bug spray and wearing a hat. Facilities from field to field vary - so bringing water is always a good idea, and while most fields sell food, bringing a lunch can be a good thing as well. Some fields provide concessions at a reasonable expense, some charge more, and there may or may not be a fast food restaurant nearby. These are things the person in charge of organizing the event should be able to tell you.

Continued in next post

Gearbagg sale please buy my stuff
LP Crossfire fresh Hydro looking to trade for smaller tank
Old School Feedback
"Originally posted by jwarrenjg: school takes priority...paintball you can play all your life."
spyderman_xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2010, 12:40 PM #2
spyderman_xtra

Can my child bring paintball stuff to school? - Due to misconceptions perpetuated by the media, attitudes towards paintball vary tremendously from school to school. Administrators may be paintball players themselves, or their knowlege of paintball may be limitted to that one TV show they saw 6 years ago. In any case, your child should *NEVER* bring a paintball marker to school. You should consult with your school's administration about other materials such as paintball magazines - you never know when a teacher who doesn't know any better is going to see a paintball magazine and not be able to recognize that the pictures are of paintball equipment.

My child wants to buy equipment. What should we get? - First, have your child play with rented or borrowed equipment a few times. This both makes sure that they are truly interested in the game before shelling out a significant amount of money as well as give them a chance to learn how they play. They should take an opportunity to try out other player's markers at the field - most players are more than happy to let a new player try their marker out at the range or even borrow it for a game. The good news is that in terms of equipment, paintball isn't that expensive compared to other sports - a good entry-level paintball package can be had for around $150. The most important item is the mask - you want to make sure to get what is known as a "thermal" lense, which has two panes to help prevent fogging. Both "JT" and "Scott" make good masks . In terms of markers, several companies offer well-reputed entry level markers, including Spyders, Pirahnas and Tippman's. Again, there isn't a "right" answer, but you can get additional advice in the forums. Your child will also need, at a minimum, three other pieces of equipment: An air source, usually a Co2 tank; a hopper to hold the paintballs; and a barrel plug. All of these things can usually be bought as a package, both at local retailers as well as online. Additional optional equipment includes a pack specifically designed to carry extra paint, shin and knee pads, and a squeegee to clean out the marker in the event that a paintball breaks inside. At the entry level, it is probably best to buy from a local retailer who can answer your questions and provide service, but if there isn't a store near you or you're comfortable ordering online, the NCPA can point you to some reputable online stores. There is also a wide variety of used paintball equipment on auction sites such as E-Bay, but auction purchases have their risks, although paintball clubs usually have members who can help you with any technical problems that may arise with used equipment and you can always pay to have it serviced by a local store.

My child wants to play in tournaments. What is competative paintball like? - There are two ways your child can play competative paintball, either in a league exclusively for other high school players, or in the general tournament environment against whoever happens to pay the entry fees. The NCPA works to establish high-school-only leagues and we strongly encourage participation in them when available over the more general format. You probably wouldn't want your high school age child playing soccer or basketball or any other sport against 30+ year olds, and the same goes for paintball as well. If there isn't a high school league in your area, please let us know and we'd be happy to work with you and your local clubs and fields to set one up. This isn't to say your child shouldn't participate in general tournaments, but we strongly encourage adult supervision in that environment. High school leagues tend to be much cheaper, much more oriented towards friendly play, and give parents an opportunity to watch their kids compete against other kids much the same way you'd watch them at a soccer game.

In terms of game play itself, tournaments are a little more close-quarters than recreational paintball. Rules are more defined, teams are of set sizes, and there's generally quite a bit more paint flying in the air. What may be one hit on a recball field can turn into three or four on a tournament field. It's the difference between a soccer game in your backyard with the neighbors and a soccer game played between two high school teams - it is a competative event, and it isn't out of the ordinary to pick up a bruise or two in the process.

Old School Feedback
"Originally posted by jwarrenjg: school takes priority...paintball you can play all your life."
Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM #3
spyderman_xtra

Nobody wants to sticky this?

Old School Feedback
Old 10-10-2010, 11:43 AM #4
Cheeseisawesome

Cheeseisawesome owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Cheeseisawesome supports Team VICIOUS
Definet Sticky!
Cheeseisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:02 PM #5
bluesboyk3
Bushamster

has been a member for 10 years
bluesboyk3 posts videos on PbNation
fun, positive attitude and change of clothing for the trip home (seems small but i hate it when i have to drive home in my mud/ dirt and paint soiled clothing).
^ is his avatar supposed to say bushamster?
Ultimate Bushy
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2492190
FEEDBACK
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=862341
bluesboyk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 PM #6
KoreanPump
What is paintball?

KoreanPump owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Leave the cockiness at home. Come and leave with a smile and some bruises
KoreanPump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM #7
Kellerman
Youngstown Gambit

Kellerman owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Kellerman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Lots of water...then bring more water. The last thing you want is to be dehydrated. Check your stuff before you leave even if you checked the night before and then check again. I've left my mask at home before and had to sit out until i got a loaner. If I forgot anything in my list tell me because I do make mistakes and I'll edit it.
  • Mask
    Hopper
    Marker
    Tank
    Allen wrench set
    Backup marker if possible
    Spare batteries (for hopper and gun)
    Jersey
    Pants
    Gloves
    Shoes
    Food/Water
    Spare cash (just incase)
    Bike lock (can be looped around bag to lock it and a table or bench so it doesnt get stolen)
Old 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM #8
!BUMMADUDE!

bring a jock strap
!BUMMADUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:48 PM #9
Alex_rx1417
KAMANDAG MEMBER

Alex_rx1417 plays in the PSP
Alex_rx1417 is playing at Living Legends V
Alex_rx1417 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Alex_rx1417 supports Pev's Paintball
Alex_rx1417 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Alex_rx1417 is attending Decay of Nations VI
magazines are ok at school but you should leave the paintballs at home because my friend left some balls in his backpack once and they tried to suspend him
Alex_rx1417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:33 PM #10
Lascivious

Bring a cup/jock strap... I wore a cup and athletic shorts, basketball shorts, and a t-shirt the first time I went to a field.
Lascivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM #11
Shoker14
Pittsburgh Paintball

Shoker14 plays in the PSP
Shoker14 supports Team VICIOUS
Shoker14 plays in the APPA D4 division
Shoker14 supports DLX Technology
just bring your
mask
gun/barrel
battries
tank
hopper
the right clothes
money
water
and an attitude to learn and play the game better each time you step on the field.
Shoker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM #12
pbplayer343

pbplayer343 is playing at Living Legends VII
pbplayer343 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
pbplayer343 supports DLX Technology
you could just rent all that stuff at the field (gun, mask,airtank) but you really have to wear like a sweatshirt and jeans or something. and bring some money for if something goes wrong or if you get hungry.
pbplayer343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:55 PM #13
rjhayes89
AF Server *************

rjhayes89 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Just go out and play! Enjoy the game for what it is.
rjhayes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:48 PM #14
Freedy500

Freedy500 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Its not gonna be like some fantasy war where you never get and you chop down waves of people one after the other. Its not gonna be like you see in the movies either. Your not the only smart person out there and your a beginner so your not gonna last long and have a good game and by "good game" i dont mean sit in the back behind some bushes and a mound where there isnt action. dont be afraid to get shot be aggresive. Aggressiveness can be the large key to victory. you dont win games by sittin in the back. Only time you should be doin that is if your reloading, performing maintenence on your gun (ball chop and such) and when thats the point and your inside of a fortified position and your supposed to hold it as long as possible (Thats when youve got potential for those amazing alamo moments later on when u get better). Dont buy a cheapo 50 dollar marker. those are only good to fool around with and get familiar with the way paintball guns work and good at fixing them since those are so crappy or u can get em for a friend for a one time paintball outing with him. Start out with a good gun like a tippman and work your way up from there and take your path of either mechanical (i like it best but its part of your personality when choosing) or electrical. And last of all dont be cocky or else your all of a sudden the commander of these people you have persuaded with your bs paintball stories and you lead your team to defeat with idiotic decisions.
Freedy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM #15
waynezo

a good squeegie for messy times
waynezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:41 PM #16
alfredg

alfredg has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
alfredg has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
mask and gun(with hopper and tank and balls) that is all
alfredg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 PM #17
dylan5394

yeah make sure you bring the proper equipment to wipe your tools down
dylan5394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 PM #18
bunz7

so true about the squeegie...
bunz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:55 AM #19
Khades
Free your mind

?

GT: Smoootie
PSN: GibbedLOL
Khades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:55 PM #20
Ace06
Texas Fury

Ace06 is playing at Living Legends VII
Ace06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Ace06 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you going to a field and it's your first time playing, all you need is old clothes and money. Just get a rental package and get a feel for the sport. No need to go buy a bunch of gear for your first time.