Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM #1
DMplayer91
speedball team needed!!!!
 
DMplayer91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmond , Ok
building field

i am currently in the process of leveling off a bunch of land and having only speedball felds with psp bunkers. I have everything I need to start all of this (netting,air,seating,bunkers,etc....) i would like this field to be the best field in oklahoma but to do that i need some opinions from players, once the field picks up and if it does good in buisness i will hold lots of tournaments and will hold scrimmages 7 days a week... what are some of your opinions?
__________________
let me bunker you bro
DMplayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2012, 11:32 AM #2
GatSplat
 
 
GatSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas Area
You probably don't want my opinion. My opinion is you are spending a lot of money to set up a field to attract a very small portion of the paintball industry, and you would be vastly better off not leveling the land - and not having "only speedball felds (sic) with psp bunkers."

How many people are within a 50 mile radius of your field that have a $500 gun set up?? Now, how many people are within a 50 mile radius of your field that will have a birthday this year? Or have a job that holds team building events? or is a student having a graduation? or is a Bachelor having a bachelor party this year??
__________________
Larry GatSplat.com


Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 AM #3
DMplayer91
speedball team needed!!!!
 
DMplayer91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmond , Ok
there is 2 major college campus within 10 miles , countless major buisnesses within 50 miles and roughly 100,000 people in Edmond (town i live in) and i am leveling the fields with my own tractor so it doesnt rly cost anything but gas... i believe i can get quite a good thing going once i get the name out and be different from the other fields instead of worrying about paying the montly bills i want to make sure everyone has a great time and i focus on the more advanced players and even more so on the beginner players and help this sport grow and thrive because i have been to so many fields and tryed talking with ref's and field owners and they just act like they dont have the time of day for you, and i want to set my field apart from that make it the players field not the field that can bring in the most $$$$ and im using all of my own money for this so if it fails its not like i will be in major dept or anythng.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
You probably don't want my opinion. My opinion is you are spending a lot of money to set up a field to attract a very small portion of the paintball industry, and you would be vastly better off not leveling the land - and not having "only speedball felds (sic) with psp bunkers."

How many people are within a 50 mile radius of your field that have a $500 gun set up?? Now, how many people are within a 50 mile radius of your field that will have a birthday this year? Or have a job that holds team building events? or is a student having a graduation? or is a Bachelor having a bachelor party this year??
__________________
let me bunker you bro
DMplayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 AM #4
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMplayer91 View Post
i am currently in the process of leveling off a bunch of land and having only speedball felds with psp bunkers. I have everything I need to start all of this (netting,air,seating,bunkers,etc....) i would like this field to be the best field in oklahoma but to do that i need some opinions from players, once the field picks up and if it does good in buisness i will hold lots of tournaments and will hold scrimmages 7 days a week... what are some of your opinions?
If you are looking for player's opinions, you should probably post this in the section on PBN for you area of the country. Good luck.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM #5
Horizon
 
 
Horizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
I see now (in the Paintball Talk section) that you are looking to sell paintballs for $20/case (and as low as $12/case). You definitely don't want the opinions of most of the field owners in here.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM #6
DMplayer91
speedball team needed!!!!
 
DMplayer91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmond , Ok
lol im just trying to help out the players buddy i have seen alot of people quit because they couldn afford paint and i have the money to do all of this so its not like ill be losing anything if i crash and burn i just want to help out local /beginner/advanced players out .. you know what im trying to say?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I see now (in the Paintball Talk section) that you are looking to sell paintballs for $20/case (and as low as $12/case). You definitely don't want the opinions of most of the field owners in here.
__________________
let me bunker you bro
DMplayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM #7
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!
 
bigfootguy2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
If this is a charity type situation, and you are not in this to make money or break even, then your field should be a hit with the locals. It will be difficult to run people off with prices as low as $12 a case of paint....that means you will be loosing money, a lot of it. I figure that monthly operating expenses are between $2500 and $10000 a month depending on your facility, before any "discounted" paint sales. Startup costs for a facility like this include about $10,000 per field plus office, rental equipment, basic supplies, etc.
The idea of being open 7 days a week is great, just make sure that you schedule scrimmage times if this is what you are seeking, be sure there are people to play against. A lot of fields are open on the weekends or during certain days of the week, among other reasons, but to make sure there is a group of people there. Its no fun to play 2v2.

Good Luck!
-Will
__________________
WILL LUMPKIN

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM #8
DMplayer91
speedball team needed!!!!
 
DMplayer91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmond , Ok
very true like what i had in mind on the monday - friday idea is like planned events such as birthday partys, office meetings, scrimmages when 2 or more teams have it planned on same day etc.. and there are alot more things to it than im actually putting on here and ive done allloot of research into all of this and spoken with alot of people who have owned/own fields now and gotten alot of ideas and i figure i could break even on the field and making my own paintballs and selling them individually and to other fields would be my biggest profit and 25$ per box 12-15$ in massive bulk say 80+ boxes per order and i wouldnt be rolling in dogh but thats not exactly what im looking for this would be just me running a small field and people coming out to play id have no extreme expenses except start up and insurance and this is all out of pocket so no loans or anyting , i have a pretty good idea of what to do any i just want some opinions to make this field a more player friendly field and to make the most out of it... what im asking is what are some ideas of maintaning your field that worked best etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002 View Post
If this is a charity type situation, and you are not in this to make money or break even, then your field should be a hit with the locals. It will be difficult to run people off with prices as low as $12 a case of paint....that means you will be loosing money, a lot of it. I figure that monthly operating expenses are between $2500 and $10000 a month depending on your facility, before any "discounted" paint sales. Startup costs for a facility like this include about $10,000 per field plus office, rental equipment, basic supplies, etc.
The idea of being open 7 days a week is great, just make sure that you schedule scrimmage times if this is what you are seeking, be sure there are people to play against. A lot of fields are open on the weekends or during certain days of the week, among other reasons, but to make sure there is a group of people there. Its no fun to play 2v2.

Good Luck!
-Will
__________________
let me bunker you bro
DMplayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 PM #9
GatSplat
 
 
GatSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Well shucks... I didn't realize you were going to be making your own paintballs... you will be "rolling in dogh"

Here's a link for one of the machines you'll need... the good news is you can find cheap ones like this for under a quarter mill each.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...in e.html?s=p
__________________
Larry GatSplat.com


Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM #10
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
You like the idea of helping the players in your area while fist-****ing the other field owners in the process? That is pretty much what I am reading, which is really unfortunate. I cannot understand why people continue to entertain this concept.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:06 PM #11
bigfootguy2002
Play Paintball Here!
 
bigfootguy2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Annual Supporting Member
bigfootguy2002 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
bigfootguy2002 is BST Legit
bigfootguy2002 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
Well shucks... I didn't realize you were going to be making your own paintballs... you will be "rolling in dogh"

Here's a link for one of the machines you'll need... the good news is you can find cheap ones like this for under a quarter mill each.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...in e.html?s=p
I love Larry's humor.
-Will
__________________
WILL LUMPKIN

Central Alabama Paintball Park and Tournament Complex
Minor League Paintball (MiLP)
(205) 837-4177
bigfootguy2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:12 PM #12
DMplayer91
speedball team needed!!!!
 
DMplayer91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmond , Ok
yea to bad you can find one on ebay 60,000$ have a look ... and fyi i wouldnt be f**** the other fields when id sell paint to them.. and anothe fyi its called buisness it happens all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootguy2002 View Post
I love Larry's humor.
-Will
__________________
let me bunker you bro
DMplayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM #13
DMplayer91
speedball team needed!!!!
 
DMplayer91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmond , Ok
also like i said making my own paint im just trying to get ideas , but hey i guess u gota keep your buisness running too
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
Well shucks... I didn't realize you were going to be making your own paintballs... you will be "rolling in dogh"

Here's a link for one of the machines you'll need... the good news is you can find cheap ones like this for under a quarter mill each.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/42...in e.html?s=p
__________________
let me bunker you bro
DMplayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:41 PM #14
GatSplat
 
 
GatSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas Area
Great! It sounds like you've got it all happening! So any ideas from some idiots like Horizon or myself won't mean much. We really don't know what we're talking about when it comes to this business. Damn... neither one of us was even smart enough to buy an ebay encapsulating machine! Boy do I feel stupid!

Keep up the good work!
__________________
Larry GatSplat.com


Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.
GatSplat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM #15
Executive Paintball
Field Owner
 
Executive Paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MA
Annual Supporting Member
All i need is a $60k machine to make my own paintballs? Sign me up! Wait a second, i don't need a tumbler dryer, mixing equipment to make the geletain shell, or mixing equipment to make the fill?? I don't need a climate controlled area to do all this? I don't even need machinery to package the paint?

Sweeet where do i give you my cash. I am gonna be living it large suckers!
Executive Paintball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM #16
7paintball
Service at its best.
 
7paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lockport, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
Great! It sounds like you've got it all happening! So any ideas from some idiots like Horizon or myself won't mean much. We really don't know what we're talking about when it comes to this business. Damn... neither one of us was even smart enough to buy an ebay encapsulating machine! Boy do I feel stupid!

Keep up the good work!
... good luck buddy.. you are going to need it Gatsplat and Horizon are right its not easy, but still good luck and if you actually want to hear what we have to say let us know
__________________
7pbA.com
ALL THINGS PAINTBALL & AIRSOFT
1143 E 9th St.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777


We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 PM #17
DMplayer91
speedball team needed!!!!
 
DMplayer91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmond , Ok
Has no one read anything i said? I am lustening but all i am hearing is people talking down on it yes i know its a long shot but so is any buisness i just want some ideas?lol i am not trying to say i have it all planned out and working perfectly because if i did i wouldnt be on here trying to get help from people who already own stores and fields
__________________
let me bunker you bro
DMplayer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 PM #18
GatSplat
 
 
GatSplat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dallas Area
No actually, you are not "lustening". You made a post, and the first person to give a suggestion was me saying you should not try to create a field catering to just tourney type players. People told you that you cannot run a business and make a profit, or even break even selling paint below cost. But you told us that you wanted to do this to help people by making the sport cheaper, and dismissed any of our advice. So then you come up with the idea to become a paint manufacturer. Yea, we read what you said albeit a bit difficult. Try a period now and then and spell check. As far as "Lustening"... you are not.
__________________
Larry GatSplat.com


Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! Then just $50 / month.

Last edited by GatSplat : 05-15-2012 at 10:52 PM.
GatSplat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM #19
Hellf1ghter22
 
 
Hellf1ghter22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Listing to these guys, they have a lot more experience then you. My wife managed a vitamin manufacturing company and the encapsulation process was always a headache. They also toyed with the idea of encapsulating their own product but the costs were to great (this from a company that netted millions a year). The process is very difficult and your going to need light industrial land if your going to be selling the paint to local fields. Please do start a field but start SMALL, if you can pull in people then keep expanding. If you ever get to the point where you can manufacture your own paintballs then you will probably have a multitude of facilities.
Hellf1ghter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM #20
CrusaderPB
Field, Pro Shop & Repairs
 
CrusaderPB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Fairless Hills, PA
Annual Supporting Member
CrusaderPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CrusaderPB supports Bob Gurnsey
CrusaderPB supports our troops
CrusaderPB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
CrusaderPB supports Empire
Paintball is cheap, I don't know what you are talking about. A single paintball costs on average what, $0.02? There are 5 people on the other team... heck, that's a dime per match!

It's missing that is expensive. Promote lower ROF's with higher markup on paint. When you hear of people complaining that it's 'too expensive', it is how they play that is 'too expensive'. Tournament players have the mentality that you need to shoot 15-20 cases in a match. They are also the minority of a small sport / recreational hobby.

When I think of people trying to cater to tournament crowds, I can't help but think that it is sort of like enabling their bad behavior. They will come in, demand much, give little.

It's a great thought, but perhaps there are other ways to help even more so.
__________________
Crusader Paintball -Serving Philadelphia, Trenton and Princeton
225 Lincoln Highway
Fairless Hills PA 19030 Phone: 215-949-4600
Now a Planet Eclipse Service Center

Like us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter! Subscribe to our Thread!
CrusaderPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM #21
Zippin35
 
 
Zippin35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
The idea of an all in one vertical monopoly paintball field it good for a very very few people. My vote, move to New Hampshire and do this, that way at least I can reap the benefits. I have seen more fields with this "do it for the boys" mentality disappear than I can count. Its always a good idea but it never works as a business. Best of luck to you sir.
__________________
I FIGHT FOR MACDEV-Macdev Militia
BUY MY 2.0 LUXE!!FST
B/S/T Perfection
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump