RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!

Annual Supporting Member
ibewipen13 donated to help Peyton Trent
ibewipen13 supports Bob Gurnsey
ibewipen13 supports our troops
ibewipen13 is an NCPA player
ibewipen13 plays in the APPA D4 division
Electronic Markers Price Range BST

After looking through 10+ pages to try and find older guns I thought of an idea to split up the BST. Right now the electronic markers bst has lots of different guns for lots of different prices. I saw in this Suggestion Section where people had the idea of splitting them up into high end and low end but that would not work because people couldn't decide what is high end or low end because a stock "low end" gun could be upgraded or milled to be very "high end."

Im not sure if this has been suggested but i think you could split it up into price ranges for people to be able to find the gun they are looking for easily. Most people know approximately how much they are trying to spend on a gun or how much the gun they are trying to find is worth. Splitting the BST into different categories like "$0-$250," "$250-$500" and so on would be very helpful. People whose guns who fall on the line like "$250 OBO would be required to put the marker in the "$0-$250" category because odds are it will sell for less then the requested $250.

This way people who knew they had $650 dollars to spend could look for a marker quicker and easier than how it is now. It would also help for trades because people could search for the gun they are trying to trade for in the specific price range.

One problem that I have thought of is people trying to downgrade or upgrade. Would people trying to downgrade from a $600 dollar gun to a $300 gun be required to put the gun in the $250-$500 range or the $500-$750 range? The easiest way to solve this is to require them to put it in the $500-$750 range and simply look for and post in the $250-$500 range. This way the guns in the categories all stay the same price and people who know what they want to look for will still have a better way to find it.

I'm not saying this is a foolproof method. I'm sure some members will be able to find loopholes and other ways to flex a little bit, but I still think it would be an improvement to the current system.
ibewipen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2012, 10:40 PM #2
STLOutlawz

STLOutlawz plays in the PSP
STLOutlawz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
STLOutlawz plays in the APPA D4 division
A big problem is how much people think their markers are worth. A 'reasonable' asking price could be 200 dollars over priced in someone's mind. It's all about how much you think your marker is worth. Plus is you wait long enough on a marker someone will drop their pants on the price

Plus there is a search bar it's pretty easy to see by a few posts what kind of marker you can afford
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM #3
ibewipen13
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!

Annual Supporting Member
I see what you mean about the search and the price issue. But sometimes the search isnt perfect.

The problem of what someone thinks their gun is worth though is a good point. Maybe if they had it in the overpriced section though they would be able to find someone that thinks it is worth their asking price? or they would realize they are asking too much, move it down a section and it would sell easier?

Plus, if someone dropped the price enough to go down a section it could help them sell it because it would be one of the hottest markers in that section.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 AM #4
Robinson45

Robinson45 is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibewipen13 View Post

One problem that I have thought of is people trying to downgrade or upgrade. Would people trying to downgrade from a $600 dollar gun to a $300 gun be required to put the gun in the $250-$500 range or the $500-$750 range? The easiest way to solve this is to require them to put it in the $500-$750 range and simply look for and post in the $250-$500 range. This way the guns in the categories all stay the same price and people who know what they want to look for will still have a better way to find it.
You lost me on this one. If their marker is worth 600 it should sell for ~600. Why should it be put in the 250-500 range?
Old 01-24-2012, 01:47 PM #5
hardpainball
Easy & Painless

hardpainball is playing at Living Legends V
hardpainball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hardpainball is attending Decay of Nations VI
hardpainball supports DLX Technology
I'm not sure separation based on price is very useful. A buyer doesn't look for just any marker between $200 to $250. They usually look for a certain brand/model of a marker. Simply search the section for it, and you'll get only that particular brand and model regardless of price. This is a more useful way to search. Besides, a buyer who's looking to spend $250 on a marker might be willing to spring up $265 if an extra grips, a podpack or some upgrade.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM #6
MsportRJ
Old Rookie!

MsportRJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MsportRJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MsportRJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
MsportRJ owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
You could have a Low, Mid, and High category arranged by original msrp price ranges.
MsportRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM #7
zane conner

zane conner owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson45 View Post
You lost me on this one. If their marker is worth 600 it should sell for ~600. Why should it be put in the 250-500 range?
ware and tare, leaks, missing barrel,missing case. theres alot of reason why a 600 $ gun would be less then 600 $. If some one has a 300 $ spending limit they should be able to type in 200-400 $ and see all the guns listed for that price. In case they can drop them on the price. I can see where he is coming from and its a good and useful idea. Maybe we should think about trying to get this done. It doesnt hurt anything. Before some one posts a new thread, there can be options about the pricing. you type your lowest or highest, or trade. Even both. I like the idea.
zane conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM #8
SuMaC

SuMaC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
SuMaC has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SuMaC has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
this does actually seem like itd be a pretty convenient way to break up the listings. itd probably help people sell their stuff faster too.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM #9
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
orionz06 is an NCPA player
orionz06 is Immortal
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
Filter B/S/T into brand sub-categories?
Penn State Paintball, Alumni #38
☆☆☆ The Departed© #38 ☆☆☆
Erie Fusion (original) #38

"Should you covet what you cannot afford. Maketh more money."
orionz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 PM #10
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsportRJ View Post
You could have a Low, Mid, and High category arranged by original msrp price ranges.
How would they enforce that though? People would just post their same gun in every category. Rules mean nothing to the average PBN user, just look at how many WTT threads are in the WTB section. Between the amount of those and all the stupid "pawnshops" that section is basically useless. Yes the mods can try and keep order but I think it will be difficult.

People have brought up sorting the BST by brand name about 9001 times since I can remember on this site and it has never happened so I think it is unlikely (though it is a very good idea).
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM #11
ToBeUsedToBE
Terrence Morton

ToBeUsedToBE is for the Gunfight
ToBeUsedToBE plays in the APPA beginner division
ToBeUsedToBE has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
there are problems with the idea but i think they can be worked out. set it up like the gun reviews are set up and if you want to create a thread, you have to select your gun and it will automatically put it in the price range where it belongs. i dont know though how well that would work out.

what do the mods think?
for the people who are still alive
ToBeUsedToBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM #12
ibewipen13
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson45 View Post
I meant people downgrading would be tempted to post their guns in the downgraded section to get the attention of other people in that section. but the way to fix it would be to require them to list their gun in the 500-750 thread and then search for the gun they want in the 250-500 thread
Old 03-10-2012, 04:34 PM #13
incognito-z
Buying All Invert Mini's

incognito-z is playing at Living Legends VII
incognito-z owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
incognito-z is for the Gunfight
incognito-z posts videos on PbNation
incognito-z supports Pev's Paintball
incognito-z is Legendary
incognito-z supports DLX Technology
Love the idea

If you're having trouble with your Mini/Axe, PM me! I'm more than happy to help out.
Proud Beta-Tester and Authorized Retailer for Nummech - Proudly Sponsored by Guerilla Air - Hustle PB
incognito-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 AM #14
BrandonMBW
America **** Yeah!

BrandonMBW is BST Legit
BrandonMBW owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
BrandonMBW is for the Gunfight
BrandonMBW has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BrandonMBW has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
BrandonMBW has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I like the sub cat. of brands.

BrandonMBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 PM #15
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

paintballerguy13 is a Supporting Member
paintballerguy13 is a founding member
paintballerguy13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballerguy13 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Was just about to come post something similar.

The BST, especially in Electronic Markers, is outrageously hard to navigate and hasn't changed much in the 10 years I've used this site.

A few filter categories (Model, Year, Asking Price) would go a long way to helping both buyers and sellers. Maybe that isn't coded into the VB software though - I don't know.

paintballerguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote