Community Focus

View Poll Results: Formula 1 or NASCAR?
Formula 1 16 66.67%
NASCAR 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2012, 07:35 PM #22
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

I don't know how people can't figure out that f1 is a MOSTLY mechanical race. Drivers do make a difference, but having a faster car is nearly everything (in most cases). I love F1 more than anything, but you have to understand what its about.

I don't dislike NASCAR, but there are just alot more entertaining racing series in my opinion to watch. Such as mentioned above Le mans, V8 super car, WRC, SuperGT, DTM etc etc

I don't really know what this is even a comparison its dumb. I do hate however there are two sides going hur dur NASCAR is better than F1 or visa versa. Obviously aren't true motorsport fans if you can't respect them for what they are.
DrobertsPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM #23
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

iiDangerCloseBK owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
iiDangerCloseBK supports Team VICIOUS
iiDangerCloseBK is an NCPA player
iiDangerCloseBK is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
iiDangerCloseBK is Legendary
iiDangerCloseBK supports DLX Technology
I completely agree with you Droberts. I understand how having a better team/car can make a whole lot of difference on how you finish each race. I have nothing against NASCAR but I hate when people argue about their own opinions on which is better. I made this thread because it seems everyone is filling up the Formula 1 threads and saying NASCAR is better.

Axe User's Club | | Rotor Mafia | | Ninja User's Club | | Headband Ballers | | E-Flex Army | | World Ballas Club
iiDangerCloseBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 PM #24
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

I also don't understand how people think F1 is boring, this season is a prime example of when teams build very competitive cars with good drivers it makes quite a good race to watch.

calling it " glorified time attack in oversized go karts" is full of ignorance, there's been plenty of exciting moves/passes this year at high speeds. with and without drs
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 PM #25
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

This year and last year. Two and three years ago the races were kind of boring. And even though I am Vettel fan, it still got kinda boring seeing win everything last year. Adrian Newey had the blown diffusion right where he wanted it.

Axe User's Club | | Rotor Mafia | | Ninja User's Club | | Headband Ballers | | E-Flex Army | | World Ballas Club
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM #26
BodyCount81
Jerrah

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
I grew up watching NASCAR and love it to death. Yes, it may be boring to some at times especially on tracks Kansas, California, and Las Vegas where there are a lot of green flag runs but I can deal with that. Races like this years Daytona 500 was very interesting to watch in my opinion.

"It's mine."
BodyCount81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM #27
iTzDoUgiE777
♥Shea Weber♥

Annual Supporting Member
The only racing series I ever watch is NASCAR. The other types of racing have just really never attracted my attention (I'm not saying much for NASCAR, just saying it attracts me more than the others). And I have watched a few of those races.

If you asked me the specifics, I couldn't tell you. Something about the other series just doesn't attract me.
Memphis Grizzlies (4-2, 2-1)♥
Nashville Predators (game the hell over)♥
Miami Dolphins (more game over)♥
iTzDoUgiE777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:01 PM #28
iiDangerCloseBK
EAT MY SHORTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
I grew up watching NASCAR and love it to death. Yes, it may be boring to some at times especially on tracks Kansas, California, and Las Vegas where there are a lot of green flag runs but I can deal with that. Races like this years Daytona 500 was very interesting to watch in my opinion.
Your like me except I grew up watching Formula 1. I don't dislike NASCAR, hell I went to the Atlanta Motor Speedway and won a $120 pot with some friends. It's not that I hate it, I just prefer Formula 1 but I can stand to watch NASCAR.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM #29
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

I watch NASCAR when there's nothing better on. Those races defiantly do have some exciting moments. Probably couldn't tell you 5 drivers though. Different strokes for different folks.

I can promise you guys though that you would enjoy other forms of racing if you like NASCAR
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM #30
Glazed_Donuts
#Penny4NASA

Glazed_Donuts owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I respect all forms of racing, but from a spectators point of view...

NASCAR

Formula 1

Yea.. Sure does look easy hitting those apexes. This is the drivers actual view, btw..

All my life my dad watched NASCAR, and I never could get in to it. I still watch all the NASCAR races on Sunday with him and THEN we watch the F1 race. He likes NASCAR, AND Forumla 1. Everyone should respect each one of them though. Coming from a heavy agricultural area, I am DEFINITELY the outcast. Hicks, rednecks, and hillbillies in my area are ALWAYS going to root for NASCAR and 99% of them have never even watched a single Formula 1 race.. That's fine though, their ignorance just makes me smile.. You can't debate with someone like that.

I like the WRC, GT, and F1 racing the most. Unfortunately, they're very unpopular here in America, where NASCAR is huge. However, to call any one form of professional racing "easy".. You're automatically an idiot. Nothing at a professional level is easy.

Last edited by Glazed_Donuts : 04-25-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Glazed_Donuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 PM #31
BodyCount81
Jerrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiDangerCloseBK View Post
Your like me except I grew up watching Formula 1. I don't dislike NASCAR, hell I went to the Atlanta Motor Speedway and won a $120 pot with some friends. It's not that I hate it, I just prefer Formula 1 but I can stand to watch NASCAR.
To each their own. I just never watch F1. Don't know when it comes on, what channel and don't really care either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazed_Donuts View Post
I respect all forms of racing, but from a spectators point of view...

NASCAR
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXInplhGrNs&feature=related[video]

Formula 1
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6H9HtL-AzA[video]

All my life my dad watched NASCAR, and I never could get in to it. I still watch all the NASCAR races on Sunday with him and THEN we watch the F1 race. He likes NASCAR, AND Forumla 1. Everyone should respect each one of them though. Coming from a heavy agricultural area, I am DEFINITELY the outcast. Hicks, rednecks, and hillbillies in my area are ALWAYS going to root for NASCAR and 99% of them have never even watched a single Formula 1 race.. That's fine though, their ignorance just makes me smile.. You can't debate with someone like that.

I like the WRC, GT, and F1 racing the most. Unfortunately, they're very unpopular here in America, where NASCAR is huge. However, to call any one form of professional racing "easy".. You're automatically an idiot. Nothing at a professional level is easy.
I think showing the two comparisons is a flawed argument because I am a NASCAR fan and find qualifying for NASCAR rather boring.

Try this for a NASCAR video to watch:

This one of my favorite moments in NASCAR history because of the Dale Sr. wreck.

This one as well:

"It's mine."
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 AM #32
MaTtBoy-II
ohai thar

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe View Post
F1 - where drivers are rendered irrelevant by technology.
The added technology took the sport to a whole new level. These drivers are micro-managing every aspect of their cars while navigating the track as precisely as possible; all while trying to not get themselves or others seriously injured or killed.

Quit your trolling; enjoy your left turns and drafting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrobertsPB View Post
I don't know how people can't figure out that f1 is a MOSTLY mechanical race. Drivers do make a difference, but having a faster car is nearly everything (in most cases). I love F1 more than anything, but you have to understand what its about.
It's not mostly a mechanical race at all. Many technology restrictions and requirements, uniform standards for aerodynamics, as well as new rules regarding what tires you can use, how many tire changes are allowed, how many engines you're allowed per season, etc, have drastically leveled the field; allowing for driver skill to play a larger factor.

It was in the late 90's and early 2000's when better cars were a serious issue, playing a larger role in who won championships.

The issue with F1 is that these drivers are all so talented that the qualifying determines much of the race's outcome, as drivers don't usually get passed unless they make an error or don't have a perfect pit stop.
You truly are the funniest poster on ST MaTt."
"Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
You are my master, MaTtBoy."
That's a negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Last edited by MaTtBoy-II : 04-26-2012 at 02:21 AM.
MaTtBoy-II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 AM #33
Glazed_Donuts
#Penny4NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrobertsPB View Post
Well look at the standings this year. Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Mercedes have all had a 1st place this year. 4 different races and 4 different winners in 4 different cars. Also, the 2 Lotus Renaults got 2nd and 3rd the last race, and Perez in a SAUBER got a 2nd place finish. The person who usually wins has to be on their A-Game all race weekend. Those 3 practice sessions where they develop the car is vital. You've got to maximize the potential of the car or else you'll be F'd.

I'm not attacking you at all, and I understand where you're coming from. But, when NASCAR fans think it's the same constructor/person winning over and over again, all I say is this.. Jimmie Johnson
Old 04-26-2012, 11:54 AM #34
BodyCount81
Jerrah

"The issue with F1 is that these drivers are all so talented that the qualifying determines much of the race's outcome, as drivers don't usually get passed unless they make an error or don't have a perfect pit stop."
Then it doesn't seem very appealing to me. There have been races where drivers have gone from the very back of the field on to win the race in NASCAR.

I agree about the Johnson thing. That much dominance wasnt good for the sport.

"It's mine."
Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM #35
Glazed_Donuts
#Penny4NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTtBoy-II View Post
The issue with F1 is that these drivers are all so talented that the qualifying determines much of the race's outcome, as drivers don't usually get passed unless they make an error or don't have a perfect pit stop.
Well I wouldn't entirely agree with that. But, of course, in ANY racing qualifying is very important.

AUSTRALIA

Qualifying
1st Hamilton
2nd Button
3rd Grosjean
4th Schumacher

Race Finish
1st Button
2nd Vettel
3rd Hamilton
4th Webber

MALAYSIA

Qualifying
1st Hamilton
2nd Button
3rd Schumacher
4th Webber

Race Finish
1st Alonso
2nd Perez
3rd Hamilton
4th Webber

CHINA

Qualifying
1st Rosberg
2nd Hamilton
3rd Schumacher
4th Kobayashi

Race Finish
1st Rosberg
2nd Button
3rd Hamilton
4th Webber

As you can see, the outcome is always up in the air. The very worst thing to happen to Formula 1 in the recent past is when Vettel dominated last year and practically won the Championship 3/4's of the way through the race season.

Passing happens a lot more often in NASCAR, but I would argue that it is considerably easier to pass. Trying to find a way to pass in the corners is very hard. So, one could say that it's cooler to see more passes per race but you could also say it's cooler to see passes that were very hard to do. I'm not favoring one or the other here, just shedding a different light on it.. Perhaps?

People have to understand that F1 and NASCAR is like comparing Apples to Steak.. Not even the same food group. People who actually look in to both sports with an unbiased point of view should respect NASCAR for what it is and Formula 1 for what it is, AND THEN make up your mind.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe NASCAR prides itself on tradition.. That is, stock cars, limited/primitive technology (only this year they have gone to fuel injection rather than the corburetor and started using the telemetry) and keeping it as close to its original roots as possible.

Formula 1 is all about technology and prides itself on being the highest level of sophisticated racing out there.. They have the most advanced cars and go to the most exotic places to race, that's what it's about. There have been 4-wheel turning designs over the years, the advancements of all the aero and brake technology, the rear blown diffuser that has recently been banned, the KERS, and the DRS systems that are now on the cars. That's just to name a FEW things. But, if you like and admire that incredibly high level of engineering then it will appeal to you as it does me. What's also cool is that the cars are constantly changing and the engineers are trying to make it better and better each race.

Now, to say that BECAUSE of that technology it makes it easier is just foolish. Would you call a mathematician stupid for using a scientific calculator? Would you call a pilot of a F-22 Raptor unskillful because of all the technology that went in to that aircraft? Hell no.. The type of person it takes to utilize that technology to its full potential cannot just be found anywhere. Changing differential and brake bias and everything else on the fly while trying to drive a car to its full potential would be extremely difficult.

Last edited by Glazed_Donuts : 04-26-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:40 PM #36
BenderBR
Drill Baby Drill

Mattboy, if F1 drivers were Gods, especially among the "boys" of NASCAR, why cant F1 drivers waltz into NASCAR and win wholesale?

F1 is about car vs car with some driver impact.
NASCAR is about driver vs driver with some car impact.

If you need street courses to be amused, you are probably the kind of people that needs knockouts to make fighting sports exciting or loud noises and flashing lights to be amused.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM #37
Glazed_Donuts
#Penny4NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
Mattboy, if F1 drivers were Gods, especially among the "boys" of NASCAR, why cant F1 drivers waltz into NASCAR and win wholesale?

F1 is about car vs car with some driver impact.
NASCAR is about driver vs driver with some car impact.

If you need street courses to be amused, you are probably the kind of people that needs knockouts to make fighting sports exciting or loud noises and flashing lights to be amused
Your statement about needing street courses to be amused makes no sense at all.. So, you're amused with people going around in circles? What does that say about you?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM #38
BenderBR
Drill Baby Drill

Quote:
Your statement about needing street courses to be amused makes no sense at all.. So, you're amused with people going around in circles? What does that say about you?
I appreciate oval track racing. Its extremely difficult. This idiotic perception street courses are leaps and bounds harder, if at all, are just that.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM #39
Glazed_Donuts
#Penny4NASA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
I appreciate oval track racing. Its extremely difficult. This idiotic perception street courses are leaps and bounds harder, if at all, are just that.
To think that any form of professional racing isn't extremely difficult in general, is idiotic. But yea, I'll say mastering Monaco would be harder than mastering a banked oval.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM #40
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum

F1 fans should read this, its good.

Yes there are regulations? That argument was completely pointless. They maximize the performance of the cars around all the regulations the FIA makes. though you are very correct the restrictions and aids on the cars performance is making this more of a drivers race. I'm exited for F1's future.

Quote:
Then it doesn't seem very appealing to me. There have been races where drivers have gone from the very back of the field on to win the race in NASCAR.
Many talented drivers do this in all forms of motorsport.... Its a little harder to have overtakes in F1 considering there are less cars and more turns. In 1965 there were 40 overtakes to gain the lead. In 03 MS had an average speed of 153.842 on a track that looks like this

There are some impressive things going on in F1. Besides I don't know a male on earth who would not enjoy watching screaming cars flying all over the place.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM #41
BodyCount81
Jerrah

I wish NASCAR would do away with the new fuel injection systems. I liked when people could turn their car off going down the straightaway or under caution to save fuel. Tony Stewart tried doing that at the Daytona 500 and couldn't get it started back up immediately. I also wish there was more contact between the drivers for position like there used to be. Now if you bump somebody they get all pissed off and retaliate resulting in fines and point deductions.

I know at Pocono I've seen it where the drivers would shut it off going down the front stretch to save fuel.

I agree with the person who said it's like comparing apples to steaks. It's two completely different forms of racing and is hard to compare.

"It's mine."
Old 04-26-2012, 03:35 PM #42
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Fat Joe is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fat Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
To think that any form of professional racing isn't extremely difficult in general, is idiotic. But yea, I'll say mastering Monaco would be harder than mastering a banked oval.

False on multiple levels. First of all, no driver ever "masters" a track. There are far too many variables. Second, you might be able to rip through a road course, but what makes it less difficult then oval racing is you dont have a dozen other cars within inches of you, and the air coming off those cars acting on the car trying to turn it in different directions. Racing on a tightly packed oval is the most difficult form of racing, especially when the cars are almost all identical.

Something like this is one of the most difficult things to pull off in a race car, yet Sr. did it. Manipulating the draft at tracks like this is much more difficult then driving by yourself on a track with little or no side by side racing.

Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Fat Joe is offline   Reply With Quote